NU Cancelling Oklahoma Game?

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Oh I think you can complain about getting blown out. But it's not a very good look to b!^@h about this PR nightmare of trying to dodge OU and then in your next breath, when it is determined that we are not dodging them, to b!^@h about how badly they're going whip us.

I mean why even be a fan if you're going to b!^@h no matter what? When it gets to that point a person should just move along. I still maintain today is not the proper time to b!^@h about how bad OU is going to beat us. It's a timing deal. And it's a pet peeve of mine when people just b!^@h and complain no matter what. Thus my damned if you do, damned if you don't statement.

I agree with most of this.

3 hours ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

I don't buy that they were doing it for financial purposes. Nebraska is going to be fine financially. One less home game, especially after paying a $1M penalty for skipping the game, isn't going to make a difference in the long run.

And we’re not currently paying any coaches to not coach. At least not yet! Maybe Moos is planning on firing Frost and thought he could recoup some of the buyout. 

IMHO, NU was looking for an excuse to bail.  They blamed it on Covid in an attempt to save face.  Like it was honorable and sacrificial to want to step back and get an additional home game to help the economy.....Unsure how far up or down the decision process went, but it was just another layer peeled away showing that NU is not  any closer to winning anything of note than we were when Frank was fired....I can imagine all of the players wondering WTH just happened.  A lot of why am I busting may a$$......

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, lo country said:

IMHO, NU was looking for an excuse to bail.  They blamed it on Covid in an attempt to save face.  Like it was honorable and sacrificial to want to step back and get an additional home game to help the economy.....Unsure how far up or down the decision process went, but it was just another layer peeled away showing that NU is not  any closer to winning anything of note than we were when Frank was fired....I can imagine all of the players wondering WTH just happened.  A lot of why am I busting may a$$......

Agreed.   The OU buyout was what $ 1 million? Add that to what they'd pay Old Dominion or some MAC school ($600,000 -+)   just take that money and leave it in downtown Lincoln for people and businesses to have.   Whoever leaked this is a damn hero. 

• Plus1 1
19 hours ago, Toe said:

Ok, I’m upset that we are trying to get out of this game.  

However, OU can go suck it on trying to act like they are all above the same thing.  There was a time when their program had fallen off and we were kicking the crap out of them every year. They worked it then so they didn’t have to play us every year. 

• Plus1 2

I am completely uncapable of posting a response which does not contain multiple swear words, personal attacks of Moos and Frost and absolute rage which will in turn result in me getting banned.  Please enjoy this YouTube clip of Randy Quaid from Major League 2 who does a great version of summing up my thoughts without getting me banned.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
16 hours ago, Loebarth said:

To be rather frank... our entire mens athletic department is a joke.. football, basketball, even baseball... considering the money the uni has put into that program... name a mens sport where we are above average? Wrestling & one can argue Baseball... still, we're at best middle of the road in those to programs.. Football can't achieve postseason play, basketball is beyond belief bad... Wrestling.. we're highly competitive in that. Doesn't bring much money into the program though...

In honesty, I continue being a Husker fan with zero expectations.. I'm certain I will never again see this program compete for any real title now or in the near future. I love baseball but like always, we the fans will likely have to hold our breath in every game. (Though they look surprisingly decent this year. Strikeouts remains alarming.) So... I watch when I can, I share in conversations, I will always root for victory but I've of late preferred to read about the event the following day so I don't get my BP overly high when the inevitable happens.

Nebraska is currently #3 in the nation in wrestling, definitely way about middle of the road.  Plenty of good seats available on the bandwagon!  @MLB 51 and I would love some company in the wrestling thread!

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Ok, I’m upset that we are trying to get out of this game.  

However, OU can go suck it on trying to act like they are all above the same thing.  There was a time when their program had fallen off and we were kicking the crap out of them every year. They worked it then so they didn’t have to play us every year. 

To the bolded:  this is a really bad take.  It is true that OU fell on hard times.  It is also true that when the Big 12 was formed they didn't have to play us every year.  However, they didn't vote the way they did to duck us.  They did it so that they would play Texas every year.  The same Texas where a lot of their talent comes from.  Other than the history, what exactly did they have to gain by playing Nebraska every year?  Absolutely nothing.  When was the last time OU recruited a Nebraska high school player?  Nebraska did themselves zero favors with regards to recruiting when they left the Big 12.  We should be trying to schedule Texas and A&M annually.  

Back to the topic at hand.  This is probably the lowest we have fallen in my lifetime.  At first, I didn't really think much about the transfers of some of our better players.  Now, I'm beginning to wonder if there aren't a lot more problems within the program than I originally thought.  I know I've asked this before, but how many top notch coaches suffered through as many miserable seasons as Frost has before turning the corner into an elite program?  Has there ever been any?  

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

In situations like this, there's usually an echo chamber at play. The folks inside the Athletic Department assume Husker fans will breathe a sigh of relief when they take Oklahoma off that brutal schedule and get us an early W to take some of the pressure off Scott Frost. Maybe they considered how the national sports press might run with it. Maybe they did not. They're just trying to help the program win. 

But they honestly didn't know what a bad look this is for Nebraska football until it leaked out and fans went in the exact opposite direction. This is about pride, and they read the room totally wrong. The AD is actually lucky this got leaked. Had they secured a new opponent and made the official announcement, it would have been much uglier. Maybe the leaker has an axe to grind against NU. Maybe the leaker was a true Nebraska fan. The fact that both could make the same case is kinda telling. As expected, the official explanation was panic-induced bulls#!t, but it did stop the bleeding. 

It's hard to believe the swapping maneuver would be done without the knowledge and approval of Scott Frost, and that's the hardest pill to swallow. 

• Plus1 1