NU Cancelling Oklahoma Game?

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

In situations like this, there's usually an echo chamber at play. The folks inside the Athletic Department assume Husker fans will breathe a sigh of relief when they take Oklahoma off that brutal schedule and get us an early W to take some of the pressure off Scott Frost. Maybe they considered how the national sports press might run with it. Maybe they did not. They're just trying to help the program win. 

But they honestly didn't know what a bad look this is for Nebraska football until it leaked out and fans went in the exact opposite direction. This is about pride, and they read the room totally wrong. The AD is actually lucky this got leaked. Had they secured a new opponent and made the official announcement, it would have been much uglier. Maybe the leaker has an axe to grind against NU. Maybe the leaker was a true Nebraska fan. The fact that both could make the same case is kinda telling. As expected, the official explanation was panic-induced bulls#!t, but it did stop the bleeding. 

It's hard to believe the swapping maneuver would be done without the knowledge and approval of Scott Frost, and that's the hardest pill to swallow. 

I think the leaker may have been from OU. Then they could put out their statement of "we intend to play" and fully box Nebraska in to a corner. I think it was well played.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, Xmas32 said:

I am completely uncapable of posting a response which does not contain multiple swear words, personal attacks of Moos and Frost and absolute rage which will in turn result in me getting banned.  Please enjoy this YouTube clip of Randy Quaid from Major League 2 who does a great version of summing up my thoughts without getting me banned.

Fair enough

19 hours ago, Loebarth said:

To be rather frank... our entire mens athletic department is a joke.. football, basketball, even baseball... considering the money the uni has put into that program... name a mens sport where we are above average? Wrestling & one can argue Baseball... still, we're at best middle of the road in those to programs.. Football can't achieve postseason play, basketball is beyond belief bad... Wrestling.. we're highly competitive in that. Doesn't bring much money into the program though...

In honesty, I continue being a Husker fan with zero expectations.. I'm certain I will never again see this program compete for any real title now or in the near future. I love baseball but like always, we the fans will likely have to hold our breath in every game. (Though they look surprisingly decent this year. Strikeouts remains alarming.) So... I watch when I can, I share in conversations, I will always root for victory but I've of late preferred to read about the event the following day so I don't get my BP overly high when the inevitable happens.

Slow your roll on baseball; we're 5-1 at the moment. 

• Plus1 3

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

In situations like this, there's usually an echo chamber at play. The folks inside the Athletic Department assume Husker fans will breathe a sigh of relief when they take Oklahoma off that brutal schedule and get us an early W to take some of the pressure off Scott Frost. Maybe they considered how the national sports press might run with it. Maybe they did not. They're just trying to help the program win. 

But they honestly didn't know what a bad look this is for Nebraska football until it leaked out and fans went in the exact opposite direction. This is about pride, and they read the room totally wrong. The AD is actually lucky this got leaked. Had they secured a new opponent and made the official announcement, it would have been much uglier. Maybe the leaker has an axe to grind against NU. Maybe the leaker was a true Nebraska fan. The fact that both could make the same case is kinda telling. As expected, the official explanation was panic-induced bulls#!t, but it did stop the bleeding. 

It's hard to believe the swapping maneuver would be done without the knowledge and approval of Scott Frost, and that's the hardest pill to swallow. 

When you think about it, it sucks.  When you read the bolded, it is like a kick in the nutz.....I can't imagine a world in which the HC was not asked/appraised of the situation.

9 minutes ago, Sker fer life said:

I can't wrap my head around the fact this move was even considered, no matter the reasons.   Did Moos really think this would go over well with the fans ? Seriously ?  Dumb move,  another bad look for the program.  Unreal.

I feel the exact same way. It always seemed like Moos "got it" when it came to NU, which makes this so unbelievably crushing. This is something I would've expected from Eichorst. I kept holding out that this was a bogus story, part of a broader B1G directive, or a Covid related Plan B... or something. It just sounded so absurd that I felt it couldn't possibly have been true without some broader reason or extenuating circumstance. 

Never in a million years would I have expected this from our Athletic Department. I would never have expected them to be so monstrously cowardly or tone deaf. I just can't believe that this is where we are right now. Ultimately it's my own fault for allowing myself to become childishly attached to a collegiate program. This is supposed to be the fun part of life, but this hasn't been fun for a very long time. To quote Tony Soprano, "It's good to be in something from the ground floor. I came too late for that, I know. But lately, I'm getting the feeling that I came in at the end. The best is over."

• Plus1 2
19 minutes ago, lo country said:

When you think about it, it sucks.  When you read the bolded, it is like a kick in the nutz.....I can't imagine a world in which the HC was not asked/appraised of the situation.

The conspiratorial part of me thinks the HC would only sign off on that if he is desperate for wins and feels he has another squad that can't make a bowl yet again.

Please say it ain't so.

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

Slow your roll on baseball; we're 5-1 at the moment. 

5 - 1 in a mediocre conference.

10 years in said conference and zero conference tournament championships

In those 10 years of B1G play we've achieved this:

Postseason play: (4 times)

2014 2 1–2 Regional
2016 3 0–2 Regional
2017 2 0–2 Regional
2019 3 1–2 Regional

Call it what you want but in my opinion when you haven't won a conference baseball tournament and have reached postseason play in only 4 of the 10 years that you've been in said conference you are at best mediocre!!

Our men's programs, out side of wrestling, have been and remain nothing more than mediocre at best

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, junior4949 said:

Other than the history, what exactly did they have to gain by playing Nebraska every year?  Absolutely nothing.

To that point, other than history, why would Nebraska play Oklahoma this year?

There's a fair argument to be made that, mid-late 90s when we were steamrolling everyone and Oklahoma was terrible, they were more than willing to duck us and not demand a protected crossover. Such a game is easy to build into the schedule. They definitely chose not to, and we didn't want that.

This is not to say Nebraska trying to back out of this year's game is anything other than terrible. But let's not pretend that Oklahoma didn't do something similar 25 years ago.

• Plus1 4