NU Cancelling Oklahoma Game?

Now that I’ve let it marinate for a few days I still feel like the way it was handled was piss poor.  But I read somewhere about recruiting this fall.  Nebraska (assuming visits are allowed) won’t have a chance to sell any home games until October. And who knows where this team is by that point???  A lot of kids are cutting lists to top 3-5 by that point for the early signing day.  That could be a difference maker for a several potential recruits.  

I think that could have been sold as a valid reason to at least explore options.  But it might be a bit late to sell that reason now.

• Plus1 1

"To be the man, you have to beat the man!  WOOOOOO!"

If they looked into this to make up for money lost, their vision is short sided.  I am sure there is a buyout from Oklahoma, plus the loss of future money by the eroding of whatever foundation we have left as a blue blood.  

I know this year is a big year.  It is a make or break year with the fanbase.  

Win or lose, or looking weak like this move, it is always GO BIG RED.

20 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Would you consider that Perlman or Eichorst were supportive of Bo Pelini or were they just tolerant? 

In addition to the aforementioned contract extension, new recruiting plane, bbigger budget, and constant facility upgrades, in 2013 the athletic department put together a major PR charm offensive showing the lighter side of Bo, including orchestrated pranks and videos of kind gestures Bo made to fans, including iirc, helping a returning vet propose to his girlfriend. They were pretty successful. Both Bo and the AD team deserve credit. After a really bad looking Iowa game and Bo rant after Iowa in 2013, Bo's 2014 season started with plenty of support and optimism until it fell apart at the end in what had become familiar fashion. And if you look back at 2013's leaked tape incident, the administration gave Bo all the support he needed, and probably more than he deserved. At that point, the difference between support and tolerance didn't really matter. 

Some people forget all this.

Bottom line, Perlman and Eichorst were roughly as supportive of Bo as Youngstown State was, and considerably more supportive than LSU.  

You don't have to like Perlman and Eichorst at all. Everyone involved can be an ego-driven a$$h@!e at the same time. But firing Bo wasn't the wrong call. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Firing Bo Pelini the year before would have been the right move, the following year is why we’re in this mess. It’s only tolerable to those now because it’s Frost, otherwise, we would be on a new AD and HC and the Nebraska football program is still another 3-5 seasons away. 

I agree with this. The RIGHT time to fire Bo if you were going to was the year prior to when we did. I know we like to blame Riley but the real problem was the administration above him. Do we fall apart the way we did in year 3 of Riley if he isnt forced a DC? 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

In addition to the aforementioned contract extension, new recruiting plane, bbigger budget, and constant facility upgrades, in 2013 the athletic department put together a major PR charm offensive showing the lighter side of Bo, including orchestrated pranks and videos of kind gestures Bo made to fans, including iirc, helping a returning vet propose to his girlfriend. They were pretty successful. Both Bo and the AD team deserve credit. After a really bad looking Iowa game and Bo rant after Iowa in 2013, Bo's 2014 season started with plenty of support and optimism until it fell apart at the end in what had become familiar fashion. And if you look back at 2013's leaked tape incident, the administration gave Bo all the support he needed, and probably more than he deserved. At that point, the difference between support and tolerance didn't really matter. 

Some people forget all this.

Bottom line, Perlman and Eichorst were roughly as supportive of Bo as Youngstown State was, and considerably more supportive than LSU.  

You don't have to like Perlman and Eichorst at all. Everyone involved can be an ego-driven a$$h@!e at the same time. But firing Bo wasn't the wrong call. 

I think you are incorrect in your assessment. A single year contract extension matches what we gave Tim Miles for making the NIT and Mike Riley for getting hammered by Tennessee in the Music City Bowl. Bo played in conference title games nearly half his career here. I'm curious about the constant facility upgrades you speak of... All the upgrades I'm aware of were funded/completed with Osborne at the helm. You think Perlman and Eichorst had any hand in the social media antics? Zero chance. Those two were as tone-deaf as me trying to sing on key. 

Alright so you're sidestepping the support versus tolerance question. There is a big difference between an athletic department, chancellor, administration, etc. being supportive of a head coach versus being tolerant. The past nine months are a prime example of a university being supportive of a head coach and program with the unity from the University President, Regents, Moos, Frost, etc. displayed despite the onslaught from national media. The united front is night and day from what we had in 2013-2014 with public reprimands and non-committal talks regarding extensions for over a year.

I understand you don't like Bo and there is nothing I can say to change it. That's fine. However, please don't continue thinking Eichorst & Perlman did anything to help our program. 

4 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I think you are incorrect in your assessment. A single year contract extension matches what we gave Tim Miles for making the NIT and Mike Riley for getting hammered by Tennessee in the Music City Bowl. Bo played in conference title games nearly half his career here. I'm curious about the constant facility upgrades you speak of... All the upgrades I'm aware of were funded/completed with Osborne at the helm. You think Perlman and Eichorst had any hand in the social media antics? Zero chance. Those two were as tone-deaf as me trying to sing on key. 

Alright so you're sidestepping the support versus tolerance question. There is a big difference between an athletic department, chancellor, administration, etc. being supportive of a head coach versus being tolerant. The past nine months are a prime example of a university being supportive of a head coach and program with the unity from the University President, Regents, Moos, Frost, etc. displayed despite the onslaught from national media. The united front is night and day from what we had in 2013-2014 with public reprimands and non-committal talks regarding extensions for over a year.

I understand you don't like Bo and there is nothing I can say to change it. That's fine. However, please don't continue thinking Eichorst & Perlman did anything to help our program. 

They were literally what took us to our rock bottom. Not only in firing Bo when they did but hiring a has been in Riley and then tampering with his staff prior to everyone being fired. If we knew Riley was going to be the hire I have a feeling most of us would have preferred keeping Bo. Hell I consider myself fairly well versed in college football and I had to google the guy to know anything about him other than he was the HC at one of the worst football schools in the country. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
27 minutes ago, Savage Husker said:

Firing Bo Pelini the year before would have been the right move, the following year is why we’re in this mess. It’s only tolerable to those now because it’s Frost, otherwise, we would be on a new AD and HC and the Nebraska football program is still another 3-5 seasons away. 

Isn't that Nebraska's MO?  The exact same could be said about Solich.  Had we fired him the year before we did, we more than likely wouldn't have had to endure the Clownahan years.  Michigan and Nebraska are in the same boat.  They have both hired their saviors, but it hasn't exactly panned out.  Harbaugh is further along at Michigan than Frost is here which makes it very interesting to see what they do the next couple of years.  

• Fire 2
10 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

Isn't that Nebraska's MO?  The exact same could be said about Solich.  Had we fired him the year before we did, we more than likely wouldn't have had to endure the Clownahan years.  Michigan and Nebraska are in the same boat.  They have both hired their saviors, but it hasn't exactly panned out.  Harbaugh is further along at Michigan than Frost is here which makes it very interesting to see what they do the next couple of years.  

I think your comparison for Michigan & Nebraska is pretty solid. Michigan seems to be flailing is that they keep having a revolving door of assistant coaches so continuity is difficult. In addition, the success of the program is based almost exclusively on how they perform against their rival, Ohio State. The problem is that a lot of their fanbase does not have the patience needed. I mean looking at Harbaugh's record, he has done a pretty solid job except for last year's weird setup, 49-22 overall. Nebraska canned Bo for similar numbers (66-27) and it didn't work out too well for us afterwards.

15 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I agree for the most part but I think Michigan May be let down even more than us. Harbaugh came in proven at the college and pro level. I think the expectation was big ten titles and national titles would be coming to Michigan. They have won at a pretty good tick but have not hit the level most people thought given his credentials. I know we are let down but Frost wasn’t a proven head coach like harbaugh. Lots of guys are great at G5 and lower but can’t cut it at P5 and NFL. Not saying Frost is a bust yet— but it’s not looking good.