NU Cancelling Oklahoma Game?

5 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I think you are incorrect in your assessment. A single year contract extension matches what we gave Tim Miles for making the NIT and Mike Riley for getting hammered by Tennessee in the Music City Bowl. Bo played in conference title games nearly half his career here. I'm curious about the constant facility upgrades you speak of... All the upgrades I'm aware of were funded/completed with Osborne at the helm. You think Perlman and Eichorst had any hand in the social media antics? Zero chance. Those two were as tone-deaf as me trying to sing on key. 

Alright so you're sidestepping the support versus tolerance question. There is a big difference between an athletic department, chancellor, administration, etc. being supportive of a head coach versus being tolerant. The past nine months are a prime example of a university being supportive of a head coach and program with the unity from the University President, Regents, Moos, Frost, etc. displayed despite the onslaught from national media. The united front is night and day from what we had in 2013-2014 with public reprimands and non-committal talks regarding extensions for over a year.

I understand you don't like Bo and there is nothing I can say to change it. That's fine. However, please don't continue thinking Eichorst & Perlman did anything to help our program. 

I think they supported his efforts to win football games, and tolerated his behavior as a prickly employee and poor representative of the University.

Meaning they looked at Bo pretty much the same way many folks in the fanbase did, and actually gave him a longer leash than Youngstown State and LSU. I'm guessing they had private interactions we didn't, and it's possible Bo Pelini bears some responsibility in how that relationship went.

I understand some of you don't like Harvey Perlman and Shawn Eichorst, and that's fine, too. I never thought about them much one way or another. They were administrators with lot of responsibilities beyond hiring, firing, or caretaking the head football coach. Perlman wouldn't have the time or inclination to weigh in on a PR initiative to help Bo Pelini. It absolutely wouldn't have happened without Shawn Eichorst's knowledge and approval, even if he hated the f#&%er. I believe Eichorst got his comeuppance less than three years into his choice of head coach, and Eichorst deserved his firing as much as Pelini. 

But isn't it a bit weird to be in Year Four of Scott Frost, on the heels of three losing seasons, talking about Moos and Frost trying to get out of a game they think their players are destined to lose, and we're talking about Harvey Perlman? 

To put it another way, if Eichorst and Riley had remained, made the exact same moves as Scott Frost, posted the exact same results, and tried to duck out of the Oklahoma game to get the beleaguered head coach an easy W, would you be More Supportive or More Tolerant?

24 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think they supported his efforts to win football games, and tolerated his behavior as a prickly employee and poor representative of the University.

Meaning they looked at Bo pretty much the same way many folks in the fanbase did, and actually gave him a longer leash than Youngstown State and LSU. I'm guessing they had private interactions we didn't, and it's possible Bo Pelini bears some responsibility in how that relationship went.

I understand some of you don't like Harvey Perlman and Shawn Eichorst, and that's fine, too. I never thought about them much one way or another. They were administrators with lot of responsibilities beyond hiring, firing, or caretaking the head football coach. Perlman wouldn't have the time or inclination to weigh in on a PR initiative to help Bo Pelini. It absolutely wouldn't have happened without Shawn Eichorst's knowledge and approval, even if he hated the f#&%er. I believe Eichorst got his comeuppance less than three years into his choice of head coach, and Eichorst deserved his firing as much as Pelini. 

But isn't it a bit weird to be in Year Four of Scott Frost, on the heels of three losing seasons, talking about Moos and Frost trying to get out of a game they think their players are destined to lose, and we're talking about Harvey Perlman? 

To put it another way, if Eichorst and Riley had remained, made the exact same moves as Scott Frost, posted the exact same results, and tried to duck out of the Oklahoma game to get the beleaguered head coach an easy W, would you be More Supportive or More Tolerant?

Harvey & Bo came up because of your post yesterday at 1:44pm where you said Perlman & Eichorst "made the right call." If Perlman and Eichorst were so busy, why did they feel the need to issue public reprimands so often? You don't see that kind of embarrassing stuff coming from Alabama, Clemson, etc. when they have winning (and whining coaches). You cannot it both ways where they were too busy to issue support but yet not too busy to issue public reprimands. 

As for social media, no the AD does not get involved with minor social media posts.

For the bolded, Frost would not have came here if Eichorst & Perlman remained. He said as much in his introductory press conference. I am supportive of the program and coach. Riley was a bad call and I still believe firing Pelini was the wrong decision. For his antics and words, Bo was still a winner. Hopefully Frost can get up to Bo's level and surpass it soon. 

Let me be frank, I'm pretty much at the point of total disappointment in how Frost's tenure has gone.  He's not inspiring anyone or re-energizing a numb fan base at all.  It's basically just steering the same old beater Mike Riley turned a nice used car into.

That said, if Frost DID initiate the idea of canceling OU he did it to beef recruiting and not to duck OU.  He knows OU is going to s#!t stomp his squad.  They know it, we know it, the players know it.  It's been about this LONG slow rebuild since day one since Frost got here.  He hasn't modified his approach in the slightest regardless of embarrassing results, other than required maintenance of staff shifts and transfers.  To me he's been coaching the program he wishes he had and wants to have eventually instead of the program he actually has.

• Plus1 5
14 minutes ago, Redux said:

Let me be frank, I'm pretty much at the point of total disappointment in how Frost's tenure has gone.  He's not inspiring anyone or re-energizing a numb fan base at all.  It's basically just steering the same old beater Mike Riley turned a nice used car into.

That said, if Frost DID initiate the idea of canceling OU he did it to beef recruiting and not to duck OU.  He knows OU is going to s#!t stomp his squad.  They know it, we know it, the players know it.  It's been about this LONG slow rebuild since day one since Frost got here.  He hasn't modified his approach in the slightest regardless of embarrassing results, other that required maintenance of staff shifts and transfers.  To me he's been coaching the program he wishes he had and wants to have eventually instead of the program he actually has.

You succeeded in voicing what I have been trying to find the words to say with the bolded. 

I can see the angle of needing another home game in September for recruiting, would make sense why Frost would push for that.  I think he just undestimated the reaction/the amount of longing for the old days

Great post.

• Plus1 1
23 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Harvey & Bo came up because of your post yesterday at 1:44pm where you said Perlman & Eichorst "made the right call." If Perlman and Eichorst were so busy, why did they feel the need to issue public reprimands so often? You don't see that kind of embarrassing stuff coming from Alabama, Clemson, etc. when they have winning (and whining coaches). You cannot it both ways where they were too busy to issue support but yet not too busy to issue public reprimands. 

As for social media, no the AD does not get involved with minor social media posts.

For the bolded, Frost would not have came here if Eichorst & Perlman remained. He said as much in his introductory press conference. I am supportive of the program and coach. Riley was a bad call and I still believe firing Pelini was the wrong decision. For his antics and words, Bo was still a winner. Hopefully Frost can get up to Bo's level and surpass it soon. 

Look closer. I didn't introduce Harvey Perlman to the discussion. I just reacted to Havrey Perlman being introduced into the discussion. 

Not sure you follow the world of controversial quotes and actions,  but employers are expected to make legally vetted statements on their employee's  behalf, and Nebraska's simultaneous support and "reprimands" of Bo Pelini were all standard issue stuff. If Bo Pelini required more intervention than most, that's on Bo Pelini. Right? 

I also wasn't talking about minor social media posts. I was talking about multiple well-produced videos that involved budgets, the use of UNL facilities, and distribution under the UNL AD communications channels. Jack Hoffman kinda stuff. I know it sounds crazy, but Eichorst and Perlman did have some motivation for Bo Pelini's team to do well. Still not sure you're getting the part where Eichorst and Perlman were far from alone in their assessment of Bo Pelini, who is currently unemployed. 

I guess the reason this keeps coming up is that we have exactly the coach and the AD we wanted, and entering our fourth year with them, we keep finding a newer bottom. So maybe it's not Eichorst, Perlman, Riley, Pederson, Pelini or Solich. Maybe it's just an ongoing failure to keep up with the changing nature and increased competitiveness of college football, assuming our legendary past entitles us to success we keep failing to earn on the field. 

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, runningblind said:

You succeeded in voicing what I have been trying to find the words to say with the bolded. 

I can see the angle of needing another home game in September for recruiting, would make sense why Frost would push for that.  I think he just undestimated the reaction/the amount of longing for the old days

Great post.

I agree as well. Do any of us believe that Frost has adjusted his playbook to fit the teams strength each season? We all understand the importance of creating an identity but you also have to establish some semblance of a winning culture or tangible progress where you can say "hey look how we have improved". We can say defensively we have improved however Frost wasnt brought in because of his defensive prowess.  

• Plus1 3
34 minutes ago, Redux said:

To me he's been coaching the program he wishes he had and wants to have eventually instead of the program he actually has.

This a great way of putting it. Honestly it describes Frost's side of the ball perfectly as well. Chins is keeping guys around and actually building - and we're seeing progress. Offense is looking for a magic bullet. New OCs, relying on JUCO/Transfers, good players leaving every season, playing musical chairs at QB. Its year 4 and the offense is a complete unknown again. Frost was obviously in on trying to get the OU game changed. IDK, the whole managing of the program has kinda been a mess.

6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Look closer. I didn't introduce Harvey Perlman to the discussion. I just reacted to Havrey Perlman being introduced into the discussion. 

Not sure you follow the world of controversial quotes and actions,  but employers are expected to make legally vetted statements on their employee's  behalf, and Nebraska's simultaneous support and "reprimands" of Bo Pelini were all standard issue stuff. If Bo Pelini required more intervention than most, that's on Bo Pelini. Right? 

I also wasn't talking about minor social media posts. I was talking about multiple well-produced videos that involved budgets, the use of UNL facilities, and distribution under the UNL AD communications channels. Jack Hoffman kinda stuff. I know it sounds crazy, but Eichorst and Perlman did have some motivation for Bo Pelini's team to do well. Still not sure you're getting the part where Eichorst and Perlman were far from alone in their assessment of Bo Pelini, who is currently unemployed. 

I guess the reason this keeps coming up is that we have exactly the coach and the AD we wanted, and entering our fourth year with them, we keep finding a newer bottom. So maybe it's not Eichorst, Perlman, Riley, Pederson, Pelini or Solich. Maybe it's just an ongoing failure to keep up with the changing nature and increased competitiveness of college football, assuming our legendary past entitles us to success we keep failing to earn on the field. 

If this is the case, why has Alabama had so few public statements from their AD and Chancellor when Saban goes on a rant almost every year? The answer is that the school administration supports their coach. Same goes for Clemson when Dabo was getting critical of Clemson fans. When the school admins stand by their coach and have unity, the program tends to do pretty well (examples: Oklahoma, Alabama, Ohio State, Clemson, etc.). 

The Hoffman run was done with Osborne as AD, same with the facility upgrades and expanded budgets. It takes time to rebuild a program that lost its way. I believe Moos & Frost will steer the ship correctly, I just hope the fan base is patient enough to stick with it.

• Plus1 1

This whole thing about the Huskers thinking about cancelling their game against the Sooners has me intrigued. A lot has been said about the subject and how can any of us outside of the internal workings be absolutely sure of what the facts are? Having said that there are potentially very interesting developments that can come from this game........ If it is in fact played ...which it looks like is likely....consider the implications.

What if the Huskers rise up and find a way to beat the Sooners? I have seen stranger things happen in college football...sometimes the favored team just plain doesn't get it done. Sometimes a hungrier, less talented team finds a way to win. Stronger teams sometimes take games for granted and underestimate their foe and end up losing to teams they should not lose to.

Having said that in my estimation this happens only because of the leadership of the underdog team. I believe this game is an opportunity for Frost to show his worthiness. The head coach of any football team is the determining factor....he is the one who must put all the parts together and coach them effectively enough to produce wins....particularly wins against superior teams. The Huskers seem to clearly be the underdog against the Sooners however if they prepare properly and execute a winning approach this game could end up being an extremely important win for the players, the program as well as the head coach and the administration that backs him. This is an opportunity for Frost, and I am hoping for and pulling for him to show all of his detractors that he has the skills to turn this program around, it's all on him.

It is still my hope that Frost is that head coach who can find a way to get all he can from the players who he convinces to join his mission to win. I still believe he is someone who wants success for the Huskers perhaps more than most other head coaching options for the Huskers. This of course is no assurance of success but I am pulling for him to succeed. Go big Red! 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Redux said:

That said, if Frost DID initiate the idea of canceling OU he did it to beef recruiting and not to duck OU.  He knows OU is going to s#!t stomp his squad.  They know it, we know it, the players know it.  It's been about this LONG slow rebuild since day one since Frost got here.  He hasn't modified his approach in the slightest regardless of embarrassing results, other that required maintenance of staff shifts and transfers.  To me he's been coaching the program he wishes he had and wants to have eventually instead of the program he actually has.

I've said the bolded multiple times.  Instead of coaching the program, I phrased play (scheme) with what you have not what you want.  I have no idea what the hell he wants to run.  I truly do not think I have seen a "complete" game in his tenure.  It's the worst mismatch of offense since Solich was fired.  Continually throwing crap against the wall just praying something sticks....

IF Frost did this for recruiting, I still hate it.  Other schools will spin it how I personally view it.  Scared to play.  Don't want to get embarrassed.  Trying to save face.  "You want to go toe to toe with the big boys, don't go to NU"......Then you throw out some BS excuse that you hope resonates with a country stuck in the pandemic.....And we try to find these noble reasons. But to me it's BS. That's not Nebraska.  That's not teaching the kids to be street fighters, developing a winning culture.  Trusting the process to get them the W.  It's pathetic.  

16 minutes ago, lo country said:

I've said the bolded multiple times.  Instead of coaching the program, I phrased play (scheme) with what you have not what you want.  I have no idea what the hell he wants to run.  I truly do not think I have seen a "complete" game in his tenure.

Follow up question, does he finally switch up his offense?