NU Cancelling Oklahoma Game?

5 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

If this is the case, why has Alabama had so few public statements from their AD and Chancellor when Saban goes on a rant almost every year?

When exactly did UNL issue public statements about Bo Pelini, and what Nick Saban incident do you consider the equivalent? 

6 hours ago, Redux said:

Let me be frank, I'm pretty much at the point of total disappointment in how Frost's tenure has gone.  He's not inspiring anyone or re-energizing a numb fan base at all.  It's basically just steering the same old beater Mike Riley turned a nice used car into.

That said, if Frost DID initiate the idea of canceling OU he did it to beef recruiting and not to duck OU.  He knows OU is going to s#!t stomp his squad.  They know it, we know it, the players know it.  It's been about this LONG slow rebuild since day one since Frost got here.  He hasn't modified his approach in the slightest regardless of embarrassing results, other that required maintenance of staff shifts and transfers.  To me he's been coaching the program he wishes he had and wants to have eventually instead of the program he actually has.

Last sentence sums up everything about The Frost Philosophy. Better to just just cancel then to re-adjust. Bet we win at least four -six more games in the last three years had he 1)used the strength of what he inherited 2) caved to play in the conference rather than against the conference.  

he’s just straight up looking boneheaded right now.  Sometimes you have to concede 

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, hskrfan4life said:

Follow up question, does he finally switch up his offense?

No.  Because it worked once....In 2017.  I'd go to the current strength (the whole go with what you have, not what you want) and use our TE's as much as possible.  Lean on them in multiple sets (12/13 personnel) and the RB's to get vertical.  A power run game. Use our big a$$ OL to bulldoze guys.  If guys like Betts and Omar come on, use them in PA (and some designed passes) to stretch the field and keep the safeties out of the box and help the deep ball and the CB's....But no, Frost won't change.  The past 2 years we have lost his coveted Duck R slot, do everything guy....I'm guessing they didn't like it either:D

2 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Last sentence sums up everything about The Frost Philosophy. Better to just just cancel then to re-adjust. Bet we win at least four -six more games in the last three years had he 1)used the strength of what he inherited 2) caved to play in the conference rather than against the conference.  

he’s just straight up looking boneheaded right now.  Sometimes you have to concede 

Had he leaned on what he had (Oz early and often), Bell (early and often) I think we would have gone bowling each year.   The ability to punch it in from the goal line makes a huge difference.  I just think it's playing with what he wants, not what he has.  To also add, you have a defense struggling in year 1-2 (but improving) and you still try to go up tempo, boom or bust, chunk plays.....  Putting your D back on the field that has little to no depth or experience.  Hanging them out to dry.  And people will hate this, but I do not want an offense whose success really depends on chunk plays.  I like chunk plays.  I like a player than can take it to the house on every touch, BUT  I want a physical O that can go blow for blow with a B1G team that plays to simply keep everything in front.  I did see some better play calling the last game or 2.  Maybe that was Lubicks stuff?  

He's stubborn to a fault.  When your winning, it's genius.  When you're losing you look like an a$% clown.

Frost's rep will take a hit for sure.  Success this season will ease a lot of minds. 

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, lo country said:

Had he leaned on what he had (Oz early and often), Bell (early and often) I think we would have gone bowling each year.   The ability to punch it in from the goal line makes a huge difference.  I just think it's playing with what he wants, not what he has.  To also add, you have a defense struggling in year 1-2 (but improving) and you still try to go up tempo, boom or bust, chunk plays.....  Putting your D back on the field that has little to no depth or experience.  Hanging them out to dry.  And people will hate this, but I do not want an offense whose success really depends on chunk plays.  I like chunk plays.  I like a player than can take it to the house on every touch, BUT  I want a physical O that can go blow for blow with a B1G team that plays to simply keep everything in front.  I did see some better play calling the last game or 2.  Maybe that was Lubicks stuff?  

He's stubborn to a fault.  When your winning, it's genius.  When you're losing you look like an a$% clown.

Frost's rep will take a hit for sure.  Success this season will ease a lot of minds. 

And offensive scheme is one thing, but his in-game coaching is embarrassing. Clock management and general game management.  I’m not sure if he understands the game as a whole. Opinions on the previous staffs are all over the place, except for Riley of course, but even Riley understood the in-game gamesmanship.   It’s really hard to believe Frost is the son of a long time high school coach. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, lo country said:

Instead of coaching the program, I phrased play (scheme) with what you have not what you want.

If you don't think he's changed his offense to fit the personnel he has then you have no idea what his offense is actually supposed to look like.

• Plus1 8
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

If you don't think he's changed his offense to fit the personnel he has then you have no idea what his offense is actually supposed to look like.

His first offense had the best balance and also the best talent around AM. The last two years have been heavy run, heavy QB run, passing game revolved around Wandale at the LOS, and TE. He's definitely shifted the offense, but I'd argue it's become less effective. God I hope he re-finds whatever he found in Orlando. 

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, Mavric said:

And you again simply reply with an opinion ..........What is his offense supposed to look like?  Because looking like and "supposed to look like" are 2 different things.  And if you think his offense has changed to fit his personnel, it's regressed each year....So that's not working either.  And no, I do not think he has changed to fit his personnel.  Unless you mean the lack of development has left us with only 1 QB,1 RB and  1 receiver and if they go down we have no real options......Use more 12/13 as a base. Use a TE as an HB, run less horizintal and more vertical.  When the OL coach says that's the strength, and we hardly even see any influence of Austin as the run game coordinator, that's an issue.   Running Wan'dale into the DL time and time again was a stroke of brilliance.  The only thing that did was make him leave.....(an other issues, but he did mention the way he was used)

As to at @FrantzHardySwag I agree his best O was year one.  With Riley's guys.  Last year was simply QB run.  Or get the ball to Wan'dale.  The past two years we seemed to be extremely one dimensional.Injuries played a part for sure, but again, in year 4 we are looking at the same thing.  No experienced WR, no back up QP and no experienced RB.....That's just poor development.

10 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

When exactly did UNL issue public statements about Bo Pelini, and what Nick Saban incident do you consider the equivalent? 

As far as public statements from the University about Bo, Henry Cordes (OWH reporter) nicely summed up Harvey's influence here. In hindsight, Harvey realized the error in going public instead of handling issues internally. His ego and desire to be the face of the university negatively impacted the athletic department during his tenure.

As for Saban's anger, you can find several examples online including herehere, & here. Zero public statements from the school condemning the coach's comments or behavior. Dabo wasn't corrected or reprimanded by Clemson for his rants or behavior either (example or here). The short of it is that schools have their administration in sync with their athletic departments and coaches tend to perform well and handle matters internally... like we used to under Osborne & Byrne/Devaney. Examples where the schools haven't been in sync the past several years or more include USCTennesseeTexasFlorida State, etc. Winning is the only cure for a lot of the drama and frustrations for the local media and fan base. I think we're on our way to being a consistent winner but it will take time to become an annual favorite to win the division again. 

Regarding the mishandling of the potential schedule last week, hopefully this is the last lesson Scott and Bill need for maintaining fan expectations. Let's just hope the average fan has patience.

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

As far as public statements from the University about Bo, Henry Cordes (OWH reporter) nicely summed up Harvey's influence here. In hindsight, Harvey realized the error in going public instead of handling issues internally. His ego and desire to be the face of the university negatively impacted the athletic department during his tenure.

As for Saban's anger, you can find several examples online including herehere, & here. Zero public statements from the school condemning the coach's comments or behavior. Dabo wasn't corrected or reprimanded by Clemson for his rants or behavior either (example or here). The short of it is that schools have their administration in sync with their athletic departments and coaches tend to perform well and handle matters internally... like we used to under Osborne & Byrne/Devaney. Examples where the schools haven't been in sync the past several years or more include USCTennesseeTexasFlorida State, etc. Winning is the only cure for a lot of the drama and frustrations for the local media and fan base. I think we're on our way to being a consistent winner but it will take time to become an annual favorite to win the division again. 

Regarding the mishandling of the potential schedule last week, hopefully this is the last lesson Scott and Bill need for maintaining fan expectations. Let's just hope the average fan has patience.

I'm not sure you actually read the Henry Cordes article correctly. It does sum up Harvey's tenure as it relates to the football program, but it doesn't reach the same conclusions you do or address the public statement question that started this.. In terms of continuity, it was the Steve Pedersen hire that started the big downtrend, and honestly every Husker fan thought Pedersen was a slam dunk hire, and so did Tom Osborne, who recommended him. Same article suggests that the other 25 teams that make up the athletic department were generally well supported, including a volleyball dynasty that continues to bring positive publicity to the school. Again, like him or not, it's a little weird that as the chancellor of a huge university retires, he's being asked to judge his legacy based on the hiring of football coaches. 

Saban and Dabo getting testy at reporters?  Plenty of coaches do that. Bill Belichick and Greg Popovich are famous for it. There's no need for the university to issue a statement when that happens, just as NU didn't when Bo barked at reporters who thought he'd forgotten how to coach defense. The university did issue a statement when someone leaked a tape of Pelini telling Husker fans they could kiss his a$$ out the f#&%ing door to Deadspin. Perlman said he was "disappointed" and after a crafted apology from Bo there was no public reprimand, although I can't imagine it was jovial behind the scenes. UNL had to issue a public statement after Bo's flaming speech to the team after his firing, but so did Youngstown State, which also reprimanded him. Bo was not treated unfairly, by the national press although we would have chuckled about his temper more if he had beaten a Wisconsin or two. 

It's a bit ironic that people who want Husker fans to be patient and move forward keep bringing up the past. We have the HC and AD we wanted, and three years of results that no one expected. No one. Even the biggest bare cupboard dumpster fire posters on this board did not see this coming. The fanbase has the right to be confused and disappointed. I think we're judging Moos and Frost on their own terms by now, and our expectations are down to Rutgers and Maryland levels, so bringing in Husker villains from the past and blaming continuity doesn't really help. 

• Plus1 3