NU Cancelling Oklahoma Game?

17 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Sharp on 1620 said today that Frost went above Moos head to get the Oklahoma game switched. His source was Sean Callahan.  Man, if I embarrassed my boss like that, I'd get my a$$ ripped and possibly fired.  

If that's the case then Frost just turned the heat up on his seat to "inferno".

I've been in Frost's corner his whole tenure not because I'm seeing a ton of improvement but because I'm not going to fool myself into thinking I know all ins and outs of the state of the program. 

But if this is true, I'm over the dude.  Win 8 this year or hit the pavement.

20 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Sharp on 1620 said today that Frost went above Moos head to get the Oklahoma game switched. His source was Sean Callahan.  Man, if I embarrassed my boss like that, I'd get my a$$ ripped and possibly fired.  

That doesn't even make sense though does it? How is it even possible for a coach to get involved in negotiating scheduling arrangements with other schools, and possibly re-negotiating an existing contract with a major program, especially without the knowledge of the AD? Sure, coaches have input into scheduling decisions, but the actual arrangements are made between the institutions and the athletic departments, not the coaches. I'm not sure I buy this one.

• Plus1 4
7 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'm not sure you actually read the Henry Cordes article correctly. It does sum up Harvey's tenure as it relates to the football program, but it doesn't reach the same conclusions you do or address the public statement question that started this.. In terms of continuity, it was the Steve Pedersen hire that started the big downtrend, and honestly every Husker fan thought Pedersen was a slam dunk hire, and so did Tom Osborne, who recommended him. Same article suggests that the other 25 teams that make up the athletic department were generally well supported, including a volleyball dynasty that continues to bring positive publicity to the school. Again, like him or not, it's a little weird that as the chancellor of a huge university retires, he's being asked to judge his legacy based on the hiring of football coaches. 

Saban and Dabo getting testy at reporters?  Plenty of coaches do that. Bill Belichick and Greg Popovich are famous for it. There's no need for the university to issue a statement when that happens, just as NU didn't when Bo barked at reporters who thought he'd forgotten how to coach defense. The university did issue a statement when someone leaked a tape of Pelini telling Husker fans they could kiss his a$$ out the f#&%ing door to Deadspin. Perlman said he was "disappointed" and after a crafted apology from Bo there was no public reprimand, although I can't imagine it was jovial behind the scenes. UNL had to issue a public statement after Bo's flaming speech to the team after his firing, but so did Youngstown State, which also reprimanded him. Bo was not treated unfairly, by the national press although we would have chuckled about his temper more if he had beaten a Wisconsin or two. 

It's a bit ironic that people who want Husker fans to be patient and move forward keep bringing up the past. We have the HC and AD we wanted, and three years of results that no one expected. No one. Even the biggest bare cupboard dumpster fire posters on this board did not see this coming. The fanbase has the right to be confused and disappointed. I think we're judging Moos and Frost on their own terms by now, and our expectations are down to Rutgers and Maryland levels, so bringing in Husker villains from the past and blaming continuity doesn't really help. 

I believe you must have skipped over the part: "Perlman the next day publicly admonished Pelini, something he now acknowledges may have been a mistake. Some thought he should have handled the matter internally. Perlman at the time thought it was important to make it clear to the public that the university did not condone Pelini’s behavior."  Steve Pedersen was a bad call, but if you think firing Solich didn't include consultation with Harvey, you've got wool over your eyes.

Yes, plenty of coaches get angry at reporters, officials, etc. Very few of them have their boss' boss releasing public statements to the media condemning the behavior like Perlman did on several occasions. I get that you obviously didn't like Bo and couldn't stand his attitude or demeanor. I come from a different breed I guess and would rather have a jerk for a coach that wins than the ice cream man who maybe wins half the games. 

Those who don't learn from their past are doomed to repeat it. Patience allowed for programs to thrive over time including our own from the late 60s to the 90s (also Iowa enjoying its' best all-time decade now, Notre Dame currently, Clemson, etc.) I agree that no one expected three years of underachieving but as the past 20 years have taught me, changing coaches every 5 or so years hasn't yielded good results either. Our best bet right now is to stay the course we're on, hope the continuity of the staff will help development and success will follow. 

3 minutes ago, Ulty said:

That doesn't even make sense though does it? How is it even possible for a coach to get involved in negotiating scheduling arrangements with other schools, and possibly re-negotiating an existing contract with a major program, especially without the knowledge of the AD? Sure, coaches have input into scheduling decisions, but the actual arrangements are made between the institutions and the athletic departments, not the coaches. I'm not sure I buy this one.

Agreed completely, Moos had to have known about it in some context. 

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Ulty said:

Sharp just delivered what Callahan said without a ton of context. Wish there was more. Maybe Frost was talking to other coaches about a game this fall? I assume there is some truth to it if Callahan put his name on it, and Sharp is reading it on the radio. 

1 minute ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Sharp just delivered what Callahan said without a ton of context. Wish there was more. Maybe Frost was talking to other coaches about a game this fall? I assume there is some truth to it if Callahan put his name on it, and Sharp is reading it on the radio. 

It only means Callahan has a credible source that is telling him this. I doubt Callahan is making it up, or that Sharp would repeat a dubious claim from Sean Callahan. Neither seem like the kind of guy to do that.

It's more likely (IMO) that whoever told Callahan this is either not fully knowledgeable about the situation, has a fact or two wrong, or (worst case scenario) there's a rift in the North Stadium offices and we have competing stories being given to the press.

None of it seems like the front office is handling any of this well, though.

• Plus1 1

What I need to know is, is the OU game on or off? Cuz if it's off I've got a bunch of red gear to burn and wild flailing to do.

I know this ordeal should bother me more than it does but this program has been a sh#tshow since the 2001 debacle in Boulder. Compared to what all has transpired these last 20 years, excuse me if I'm plumb out of outrage.

• Plus1 3
3 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

What I need to know is, is the OU game on or off? Cuz if it's off I've got a bunch of red gear to burn and wild flailing to do.

I know this ordeal should bother me more than it does but this program has been a sh#tshow since the 2001 debacle in Boulder. Compared to what all has transpired these last 20 years, excuse me if I'm plumb out of outrage.

From what I can tell I think there's others on this board that can lend you some. ;)  

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
4 minutes ago, Redux said:

If Frost was simply talking to other coaches without Moos' consent about potential game swapping, it's still not good.  I'd rather he focus on things like, oh I dunno, keeping our most talented players enrolled at UNL?

I doubt very seriously if Frost was calling other schools to line up a game.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

And Sharp has no motivation to drum up BS stories at all....  It would not be possible for a coach to do this without the full support of the athletic department.  In that case, it would not be the coach making the calls. 

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I'm the one that brought that up, pure speculation. Was just trying to imagine how Frost would even go about it without Moos.

You mentioned that Sharp said Frost went over Moos' head.  That could be as simple as Frost floated the idea to Moos first, didn't like the answer and then went over his head.   Or went directly to the top.  It doesn't mean Frost tried to actively negotiate with other teams.  Just lobbied for it.

I'm not saying this is all that plausible which makes it, if true, a real character issue.

1 hour ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I believe you must have skipped over the part: "Perlman the next day publicly admonished Pelini, something he now acknowledges may have been a mistake. Some thought he should have handled the matter internally. Perlman at the time thought it was important to make it clear to the public that the university did not condone Pelini’s behavior."  Steve Pedersen was a bad call, but if you think firing Solich didn't include consultation with Harvey, you've got wool over your eyes.

Yes, plenty of coaches get angry at reporters, officials, etc. Very few of them have their boss' boss releasing public statements to the media condemning the behavior like Perlman did on several occasions. I get that you obviously didn't like Bo and couldn't stand his attitude or demeanor. I come from a different breed I guess and would rather have a jerk for a coach that wins than the ice cream man who maybe wins half the games. 

Those who don't learn from their past are doomed to repeat it. Patience allowed for programs to thrive over time including our own from the late 60s to the 90s (also Iowa enjoying its' best all-time decade now, Notre Dame currently, Clemson, etc.) I agree that no one expected three years of underachieving but as the past 20 years have taught me, changing coaches every 5 or so years hasn't yielded good results either. Our best bet right now is to stay the course we're on, hope the continuity of the staff will help development and success will follow. 

Again, Perlman's been gone for five years, Riley and Eichorst going on four, Pelini seven.  In terms of an administration, AD and coach in sync, on-field performance, public relations and fan expectation, how are we doing in the here and now, and what lesson from the past are we ignoring? 

Bob Devaney turned the entire program around in a single season. Ask Tom Osborne about "fan patience" during the first 20 years of his head coaching career. You may be surprised.

I want Scott Frost to have another 3 seasons guaranteed. Much less concerned about W/L this season than visible effort and emerging talent. Enough to add a little pressure on 2022. By his sixth season we will know Scott's recruiting skills, willingness to adapt and adjust, and his motivational ability. Hopefully this little Oklahoma incident will be long in the rear view mirror. But in the here and now, it doesn't represent Nebraska well and fans have every right to let the people responsible know it. 

• Plus1 1