NU Cancelling Oklahoma Game?

8 minutes ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Agreed and of course he was involved.  That said, in 20 months, this whole episode may be nothing more than a footnote in history.

It's got legs. We're going to get smoked by the Sooners this Fall, and then at home next year. Both times this is going to be the focus of conversation, and probably moreso the larger the margin of victory is.

I'd bet it's brought up again in 2029 & 2030 when we play. It's the kind of shameful thing the people who hate your school don't forget.

23 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

What I need to know is, is the OU game on or off? Cuz if it's off I've got a bunch of red gear to burn and wild flailing to do.

I know this ordeal should bother me more than it does but this program has been a sh#tshow since the 2001 debacle in Boulder. Compared to what all has transpired these last 20 years, excuse me if I'm plumb out of outrage.

Same, it doesn't bother me much.  Just prefer it was kept in house.  But reporters need to do there job too, I guess. 

Now had the game been actually replaced, I would have laughed while shaking my head.  No matter how much sense it makes (for a minute), oof.. I just don't like it (the idea).

23 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

What I need to know is, is the OU game on or off? Cuz if it's off I've got a bunch of red gear to burn and wild flailing to do.

I know this ordeal should bother me more than it does but this program has been a sh#tshow since the 2001 debacle in Boulder. Compared to what all has transpired these last 20 years, excuse me if I'm plumb out of outrage.

Scarlet or Crimson?

1 hour ago, Cdog923 said:

As gullible as the people who think Frost had no knowledge or input into the process. 

Yes, Frost obviously had some input and role in this. But he also absolutely would not be allowed to make changes to the schedule or discuss them with outside parties without the clearance from the athletic director. The track team can't change its schedule without consulting the AD. What do you think the level of clearance is for the multi-million dollar enterprise?

The overwhelmingly most realistic scenario here is: (a) Frost thought getting another game closer to bowl eligibility in a season where we're playing Ohio State, Michigan, and Buffalo outside of our division was more beneficial to the program than going down to Norman to get stomped; (b) Moos wanted to get an extra $5 mil for the athletic department that has had its budget decimated; (c) neither anticipated the fan backlash or expected word to get out and NU began kicking the tires on seeing if anyone would take the game; and (d) OU got wind of this and leaked to put public pressure on keeping the game scheduled. Reasonably assuming this is what happened, both Frost and Moos are at fault.

• Plus1 2

12 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Consistent with everything else we've heard. I think some people refuse to believe Frost would do that though. 

You are correct. I do not believe Frost had anything to do with this. I think it's much more likely that some bean counter floated the idea to somebody and it got out from there. I could be wrong.

We all may be way less than impressed with the progress HCSF has made in turning things around but I really don't think his pride and hubris would allow him to attempt backing out with any opponent. I think his pride and confidence (maybe delusional over confidence)  controls his actions a lot more than trying to protect his own job and paycheck.

• Plus1 1

Didn't the statement from Bill Moos directly confirm that "our administration did explore the possibility?" and give its reasoning? 

Pretty odd for anyone to claim a rogue operation when the AD just said it wasn't.

The statement is fuzzy on when the Administration stopped exploring the possibility: before or after the leak. 

It's already blowing over after less than a week. But that's definitely a ding to future credibility. 

• Plus1 4
30 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Hmm... This is interesting.

This would explain why it took so long for Nebraska to release a response.  Took Moos a few hours to figure out what was happening.

Regardless of who or what was responsible, it's a bad look.  If it wasn't Bill, SF likely at minimum knew about it.    

27 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

You are correct. I do not believe Frost had anything to do with this. I think it's much more likely that some bean counter floated the idea to somebody and it got out from there. I could be wrong.

We all may be way less than impressed with the progress HCSF has made in turning things around but I really don't think his pride and hubris would allow him to attempt backing out with any opponent. I think his pride and confidence (maybe delusional over confidence)  controls his actions a lot more than trying to protect his own job and paycheck.

I don't believe Sean C would just make this up, combined with McClintock above and Shatel on Sharp saying he is skeptical Moos was involved - really seems to be pointing to the football office trying to get this done.

EwskKcbWgAcYyoE?format=jpg&name=medium

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, Lightfighter214 said:

This whole thing is the stereotypical not addressing a large pr mess correctly. 

It took them half the day to acknowledge it and did then finally did it through a standard press release.

This just isn't smart. And its not going to go away.

I'll agree it was mishandled from the outside looking in by Frost and the leadership at the top.  However, you are incorrect in your last statement.  It won't be mentioned much outside of Nebraska circles after this month and likely won't be brought up again by the media until the week of the Oklahoma game.  Guessing it will die by halftime that day unless Nebraska happens to upset Oklahoma.