NU Cancelling Oklahoma Game?

16 minutes ago, Ulty said:

And it seems that when we see this sort of discord (even if it is a rumor) between coaches and ADs, it ends badly 100% of the time. And problems at the top trickle down. 

Yeah, this s#!t doesn't happen at Bama and OSU. Frost/Players silence is grim to me as well. A team ready to compete would be up in arms about their biggest game possibly being taken from them. This is a moment I'd prefer a big "hell no!" from Frost and the guys, instead of a "meh". I know I'm reading too much into it, but the confidence of everyone (from fans, to coaches to players, to admin) seems like it's at a zero right now. 

• Plus1 1

26 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Yeah, this s#!t doesn't happen at Bama and OSU. Frost/Players silence is grim to me as well. A team ready to compete would be up in arms about their biggest game possibly being taken from them. This is a moment I'd prefer a big "hell no!" from Frost and the guys, instead of a "meh". I know I'm reading too much into it, but the confidence of everyone (from fans, to coaches to players, to admin) seems like it's at a zero right now. 

More of the same. Just like at the beginning of last season when we said we would play anyone, anywhere, anytime any how....then declined the bowl game at the end. All talk and the byproduct of mediocrity (mediocrity is actually being quite generous at this point) 

Does playing OU make the players better? Yes. 

Does playing someone beside OU make the players better? Yes. 

Which scenario would be better for the program going forward? 

Optics mean more to people who don’t matter than who actually are involved and responsible. It’s sad that we’re in this position and I agree that this is a dark eye publicly, but attaching ourselves to a narrative that they have to play this game is self inflicting.

Since everyone agrees that this is a blowout and we stand no chance, then outside of nostalgia for fans, does it matter if they play OU or some other team? They already made an excuse to not play a game, shouldn’t come as a shocker they are willing to dodge OU.

One of the best traits of Husker fans is doing the right thing, the worst is being insecure about what media and others think when you do something people don’t agree with.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, J-MAGIC said:

Recruits are not going to give a damn about this if we are winning games and showing we can develop players.

That hits the nail on the head for me.

The more you win, the less that this kind of stuff matters. Win in the fall (particularly if you can beat OU) and I think most casual people will have forgotten about this. Lose and scrap together another 4-win season, and it'll just be seen as another continuing sign of dysfunction.

• Plus1 2

Do I want Nebraska to play OU. Absolutely !  For my own selfish reasons.  Did I initially think it was a bad look? Absolutely !

Now, for reality.  For everyone on here (including me), pi$$ing about the optics, that also know that we are not close to OU's level, please don't flood the board when we get smacked.  Yes, in order to be great, you must beat the great teams.  First, you must learn how to win and that rarely happens on a consistent basis if you always line up against the best (which the Big 10 is typically loaded).  Nothing wrong with getting teams on the schedule that are more our level.  Winning comes first, followed by recruiting, followed by THEN beating the big boys.

Another harsh reality is that Nebraska is so far removed from being in the National spot-light, the optics aren't really that bad Nationally.  ESPN ran a scroll for a bit, but I am sure not many paid attention.  When irrelevant teams run on the scroll, I don't really think twice.  

It isn't a good, look, but probably not as bad as some of us are making it out to be.

It also wasn't a dumb idea from a competitive stand point at the level this program is NOW.

27 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Hard disagree. It’s year 4 and we’re trying to progress towards division champs in the B1G. It’s time to start competing with the big boys. Beating a MAC team does nothing at this point.  

I’d like to be competing in B1G conference title games too, but it takes a winning record and that’s been hard to come by. I do hold the opinion that this is an uninspiring look and another concern within the program, but I also believe there is more emotional attachment to dropping the OU game - which is also fair

37 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Hard disagree. It’s year 4 and we’re trying to progress towards division champs in the B1G. It’s time to start competing with the big boys. Beating a MAC team does nothing at this point.  

We haven't made a bowl game in four seasons and are already playing one of the toughest schedules in the nation and you think banking a win "does nothing"?

It was a chump move to try and cancel the game, but I also absolutely understand why we might have thought it better for the program to make a bowl game than to go get our brains beat in by a team we know we are not in the same league with right now. 

18 minutes ago, JoeHuskers! said:

The only way this goes away and everyone forgets about it, is to go out and beat OU.

Honestly, that's the answer. A win, or maybe even a close loss, would go a long way to putting this to bed. 

But a lackluster performance, or a huge Sooner beatdown, will make this story the main talking point of the game and the aftermath. 

• Plus1 2

I may be all alone here but I just don't give a sh#t about this deal any longer. The OU game is going to be played, case closed. The only people this matters to now is A) people that have an axe to grind and, if it wasn't this issue, they would just find something else to b!^@h and moan about. B) some in the media won't let it die because, you know, clicks, and kicking Nebraska while they're down is a hobby for many  C) it may or may not be used to negatively recruit against us but it really doesn't matter if the football team actually starts winning something.  Other than that it's just another opportunity for those that want to b!^@h about Frost or Moos or whatever to continue doing that very thing. There are plenty here on HB who would be complaining about anything and everything if it wasn't for this deal that they fumbled by not getting out in front of sooner and better.

Now carry on.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 5
  • Fire 1
18 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I may be all alone here but I just don't give a sh#t about this deal any longer. The OU game is going to be played, case closed. The only people this matters to now is A) people that have an axe to grind and, if it wasn't this issue, they would just find something else to b!^@h and moan about. B) some in the media won't let it die because, you know, clicks, and kicking Nebraska while they're down is a hobby for many  C) it may or may not be used to negatively recruit against us but it really doesn't matter if the football team actually starts winning something.  Other than that it's just another opportunity for those that want to b!^@h about Frost or Moos or whatever to continue doing that very thing. There are plenty here on HB who would be complaining about anything and everything if it wasn't for this deal that they fumbled by not getting out in front of sooner and better.

Now carry on.

YES!!!!!

Well said!!

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I may be all alone here but I just don't give a sh#t about this deal any longer.

FWIW, I didn't care much about it when the story first started percolating. I still don't. And it has nothing to do with apathy I just... don't care. :dunno. In a lot of corporate environments, "no idea is a bad idea." I think people would probably be shocked to learn the kinds of things companies spend money, time and resources looking into, even if it's something they're highly unlikely to go forward with.

Part of it too though is absolute apathy about OU. They don't mean much to me. They sucked when I grew up in the 90's and then we were in different divisions/conferences the rest of my life. I respect the tradition and history of the rival but I never lived through the glory days of it.

• Plus1 7