NU Cancelling Oklahoma Game?

9 hours ago, J-MAGIC said:

Opposing fans and the media will throw this in our faces because it's embarrassing and that's what opposing fans and media do. That's annoying but it was a stupid move, so what are you going to do it's probably deserved.

But I would be shocked if this had any lasting or significant effect on recruiting or the perception of the athletic department as a whole. Recruits are not going to give a damn about this if we are winning games and showing we can develop players. Other athletic departments are not going to turn down big paydays to schedule nonconference games with us. And our coaches can just as easily point out that, outside of Wisconsin, no one else in the West is even attempting to schedule hard or play marquee non-con games in the first place. Iowa/Minnesota/Purdue/Illinois can get their jokes off or tell recruits whatever they want, but they don't have any tough nonconference games to "bail" on because they don't schedule any in the first place. People are overreacting to this.

What amazes me is the classes that we are pulling with a horrible record.  I still don't see much development on the offensive side, but the defense seems to be coming into their own.

As to tough out of conference, we have had USC, UCLA, Oregon, Miami in recent years.   I do think we have played some good OOC games.  I know Wisky has played a few, but not so much from the others.  OSU?  Forget it.  That's why I applaud teams like UGA, Clemson and those top tier teams who schedule top tier teams.  Want to be the best, beat the best.  Put your season on the line in the 1st two weeks.....

I just think the whole way this was handled has a bad optic.  Leaks and then conflicting messages isn't a good look.  Glad we are playing.  This might be the day everything comes together.  TBH, not sure how much prep OU even gives us.  We have them after Western Carolina and before West Virginia.  So not like they will come in beat up or looking past us, but maybe they already have this as an easy win.  

On 3/17/2021 at 12:50 PM, knapplc said:

It's got legs. We're going to get smoked by the Sooners this Fall, and then at home next year. Both times this is going to be the focus of conversation, and probably moreso the larger the margin of victory is.

I'd bet it's brought up again in 2029 & 2030 when we play. It's the kind of shameful thing the people who hate your school don't forget.

My point was that in the context of this coaching staff's prospects, it may soon be a footnote.  If 2021 and 2022 are both sub-0.500 seasons, this staff will be on their way out the door.

Whether OU and their fanbase throw this at us in 2029 & 2030 is irrelevant to me.  If we are a Top 10 program again in 2029 / 2030, this incident may be nothing more than a muse to our fanbase.  In fact, I will probably find humor in it at that point.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Sounds like another reason we were considering an extra home game is because they are still pretty worried the B1G will still be limiting attendance this fall.

And that makes sense to me. I think it’s smart to make a contingency plan. 

He’s doing exactly what a leader should do. Taking responsibility and aligning the troops. 

it was a bad, terrible look. In the end, no harm nor foul. 
But now he’s the one who’ll answer for it and set it right. not letting it fester and infect. I respect that. 

let’s just go play the game and cheer for the Big Red 

• Plus1 2