*** NFL 2021 ***

Well, @Mavric, Denver has now lost 4 in a row, including a loss to a heavily depleted Cleveland Browns teams led by Case Keenum and D'Ernest Johnson (who I learned was working on a fishing boat just a few years ago). How many more games does Fangio (and maybe Elway) have left? 

16 minutes ago, GSG said:

Well, @Mavric, Denver has now lost 4 in a row, including a loss to a heavily depleted Cleveland Browns teams led by Case Keenum and D'Ernest Johnson (who I learned was working on a fishing boat just a few years ago). How many more games does Fangio (and maybe Elway) have left? 

I can't believe Fangio was who they went with.  Really thought they would have gone a different route.  I can't see him being around next year.  Not sure if he'll make it through the season or not.

It sucks that they've had so many injuries at WR the last two years because it's possible that would make a difference.  But I don't think the offense is cutting it (not that the defense has been great).  And I can't believe they didn't go after a different QB more aggressively.  I really think they would have gone all-in on Watson before all the allegations.  But I'm still shocked they had two QBs fall in their lap in the draft and passed.

Right now they're just lucky they got three of the worst teams in the NFL the first three weeks otherwise they'd be in the cellar.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I can't believe Fangio was who they went with.  Really thought they would have gone a different route.  I can't see him being around next year.  Not sure if he'll make it through the season or not.

It sucks that they've had so many injuries at WR the last two years because it's possible that would make a difference.  But I don't think the offense is cutting it (not that the defense has been great).  And I can't believe they didn't go after a different QB more aggressively.  I really think they would have gone all-in on Watson before all the allegations.  But I'm still shocked they had two QBs fall in their lap in the draft and passed.

Right now they're just lucky they got three of the worst teams in the NFL the first three weeks otherwise they'd be in the cellar.

Feels a lot like the Husker fanbase. People are divided over a lot of different aspects. One thing I hear/see a lot around here is the divide over Elway. Some people think he's a god and others want him buried in a ditch in Eastern Colorado. I did see a lot of folks wanting the team to be sold to completely new owners and just go full-on scorched earth and start all over. Be interesting to see how it plays out. The division doesn't seem as daunting as it did before the season; the Chiefs are human, and I feel like the Raiders and Chargers are always headcase teams that could blow any number of games. Be interesting to see how it all plays out. 

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, GSG said:

Feels a lot like the Husker fanbase. People are divided over a lot of different aspects. One thing I hear/see a lot around here is the divide over Elway. Some people think he's a god and others want him buried in a ditch in Eastern Colorado. I did see a lot of folks wanting the team to be sold to completely new owners and just go full-on scorched earth and start all over. Be interesting to see how it plays out. The division doesn't seem as daunting as it did before the season; the Chiefs are human, and I feel like the Raiders and Chargers are always headcase teams that could blow any number of games. Be interesting to see how it all plays out. 

I think basically the only thing the front office has failed at is to get a QB.  You simply have to have top-notch QB play to compete.  Like I said, I definitely got the feeling they thought they had Watkins.  Maybe even made a run at Rodgers - maybe will again???  They have too many other weapons to be languishing in the bottom third of scoring offenses again.

Other than that, they've actually drafted pretty well lately.  Surtain and Williams this year look like long-term standouts.  I think Juedy and Hamler last year should be good if they can stay on the field.  Cushenberry was another good one last year.  Fant was 2019 with Chubb, Sutton, and Jewell the year before that.  So I don't think the front office has been as bad as they're made out to be.  Just one glaring hole.

2 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I think basically the only thing the front office has failed at is to get a QB.  You simply have to have top-notch QB play to compete.  Like I said, I definitely got the feeling they thought they had Watkins.  Maybe even made a run at Rodgers - maybe will again???  They have too many other weapons to be languishing in the bottom third of scoring offenses again.

Other than that, they've actually drafted pretty well lately.  Surtain and Williams this year look like long-term standouts.  I think Juedy and Hamler last year should be good if they can stay on the field.  Cushenberry was another good one last year.  Fant was 2019 with Chubb, Sutton, and Jewell the year before that.  So I don't think the front office has been as bad as they're made out to be.  Just one glaring hole.

Would you have been good with taking Justin Fields in the draft this year? Or even Mac Jones? Jones looked pretty decent against an aggressive Cowboys defense this week. That Surtain pick surprised me (and kinda pissed me off at the time). 

11 minutes ago, GSG said:

Would you have been good with taking Justin Fields in the draft this year? Or even Mac Jones? Jones looked pretty decent against an aggressive Cowboys defense this week. That Surtain pick surprised me (and kinda pissed me off at the time). 

I was surprised after those two QBs fell in their lap.  There was thinking that all five QBs would be gone by the time the Broncos came up but they got a gift.  And passed.  I think you almost had to take one of them.  Unless they really thought they had Watson.

It's a passing league.  You have to be able to throw it and stop the pass.  So QBs and CBs (and pass rushers) are key.  So I guess if they weren't going to go QB getting a top-shelf CB is about the next best option.  If they can solve the QB situation before next year, the Surtain pick will probably look pretty good.  If they strike out again and either of those two (or both) turn into above-average starters, it will look pretty bad.

• Plus1 1
On 10/22/2021 at 10:18 AM, Mavric said:

I was surprised after those two QBs fell in their lap.  There was thinking that all five QBs would be gone by the time the Broncos came up but they got a gift.  And passed.  I think you almost had to take one of them.  Unless they really thought they had Watson.

It's a passing league.  You have to be able to throw it and stop the pass.  So QBs and CBs (and pass rushers) are key.  So I guess if they weren't going to go QB getting a top-shelf CB is about the next best option.  If they can solve the QB situation before next year, the Surtain pick will probably look pretty good.  If they strike out again and either of those two (or both) turn into above-average starters, it will look pretty bad.

I was beyond pleasantly surprised Bears got Fields.  Sure there will be natural growing pains early, but the ceiling is there.

Yall should have grabbed Mac Jones.  He's okay right now but he's got a good ceiling too.  Your qbs stink, so I feel bad for yall.

Even though I hate your uniforms and helmet lol

• 2 weeks later...