We are a young team

29 minutes ago, TheSker said:

How did he criticize the culture other than saying the team didn't turn a corner?

BJ: For me personally, no. I prepare the same way I always prepare, whether there are fans in the stands or not. If you’re not mentally and physically jacked up to play a football game at Nebraska, like if you need fans to get jacked up, you shouldn’t be playing at Nebraska. I think that has to do with the culture problems we’ve had there. As far as changes to preparation and mindset, there weren’t really any for me. I was going to give my all every single play because nothing was guaranteed this past season. I just wanted to make the most out of every opportunity. 

The Spun: You mentioned culture problems. Is that something still lingering, or do you feel like Nebraska turned the corner this past season? 

BJ: In my opinion, we didn’t turn any corners really. It was another frustrating season with things not clicking, and a lot of that started in the offseason. Older guys like me, Adrian and Matt tried to get those things right, but it just never clicked for some of those guys. As frustrating as it was, we had to go out there and continue practicing on Monday and get ready for a game each week. We did the best we could with the guys we had, but it just wasn’t enough. 

3 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

BJ: For me personally, no. I prepare the same way I always prepare, whether there are fans in the stands or not. If you’re not mentally and physically jacked up to play a football game at Nebraska, like if you need fans to get jacked up, you shouldn’t be playing at Nebraska. I think that has to do with the culture problems we’ve had there. As far as changes to preparation and mindset, there weren’t really any for me. I was going to give my all every single play because nothing was guaranteed this past season. I just wanted to make the most out of every opportunity. 

The Spun: You mentioned culture problems. Is that something still lingering, or do you feel like Nebraska turned the corner this past season? 

BJ: In my opinion, we didn’t turn any corners really. It was another frustrating season with things not clicking, and a lot of that started in the offseason. Older guys like me, Adrian and Matt tried to get those things right, but it just never clicked for some of those guys. As frustrating as it was, we had to go out there and continue practicing on Monday and get ready for a game each week. We did the best we could with the guys we had, but it just wasn’t enough. 

Yep....he said we didn't turn a corner.

We knew that.

It's also more clear why he didn't want to come back.  Austin challenged him to be a more vocal leader, and that's not who he is.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Sgt Red said:

and yet BJ says SF has things going in the right direction.  So, I guess there were issues being dealt with and he is confident in the head coach.

Maybe. Or being interviewed by the local media in front of a Nebraska banner at that schools pro day he's being a little more cordial. Wouldn't do him any good to rock the boat in front of nfl scouts.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Ulty said:

Disagreeing doesn't make you ignorant. Poorly structured arguments and lack of evidence, on the other hand...

Using that definition rules out giving an opinion on this board at anytime.......but my post wasn't about the merits of the OP's post, but the predictable group-think piling on that occurred afterward. So common when posters try to show how cute they can be when cutting down someone else's opinion. Just unnecessary.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Being a young team with lots of raw talent isn't too bad of a spot to be in right now.  With all the Covid cancelations last year most teams only racked up about half their normal amount of play time.  So everyone is down a bit in experience.  

There must be a pony in here somewhere!

Is this topic intended to be a forecast for the season ahead, or merely an appraisal of our current level of experience?  Like so many topics, I think it was weighted to the former while acknowledging the latter.  The reason: to yet again lower expectations and explain poor results.  

A decision was made early on to actively purge the roster in order to improve competition and culture.  If we accept that this was the strategy, than should we not also hold those accountable for the results of that decision?  Claiming inexperience as we enter Year 4 does not hold water any longer.

Let's allow the results to speak for themselves without condition.  If we are a 0.500 team this year, then that is on the staff, not lack of player experience.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, All Hail Herbie said:

Is this topic intended to be a forecast for the season ahead, or merely an appraisal of our current level of experience?  Like so many topics, I think it was weighted to the former while acknowledging the latter.  The reason: to yet again lower expectations and explain poor results.  

A decision was made early on to actively purge the roster in order to improve competition and culture.  If we accept that this was the strategy, than should we not also hold those accountable for the results of that decision?  Claiming inexperience as we enter Year 4 does not hold water any longer.

Let's allow the results to speak for themselves without condition.  If we are a 0.500 team this year, then that is on the staff, not lack of player experience.

Your "demands" are a fun read....but yes, it is possible to still be inexperienced comparatively after 3 seasons.

This is especially true when trying to redshirt as many as possible.

I think the results will start to be better this coming season.

• Haha 1
20 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Your "demands" are a fun read....but yes, it is possible to still be inexperienced comparatively after 3 seasons.

This is especially true when trying to redshirt as many as possible.

I think the results will start to be better this coming season.

I am sure we can drum up some new excuses for another disappointing season. Too many tv breaks and clapping on the sideline have been used up. It will be fun to see what we come up with this year. The sun was in our eyes has withstood the test of time- I say we give that a try. I’m sure the sun is pretty bright down in Oklahoma

• Plus1 1