We are a young team

4 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I am sure we can drum up some new excuses for another disappointing season. Too many tv breaks and clapping on the sideline have been used up. It will be fun to see what we come up with this year. The sun was in our eyes has withstood the test of time- I say we give that a try. I’m sure the sun is pretty bright down in Oklahoma

There's people more powerful than I that must decide if/when "excuses" are done.

Taking jabs at Frost and the program just doesn't make me feel like I got the best one liners of the day in.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, TheSker said:

There's people more powerful than I that must decide if/when "excuses" are done.

Taking jabs at Frost and the program just doesn't make me feel like I got the best one liners of the day in.

I think Moos has already publicly said it is time to start winning this year. I believe he said something along the lines that it is time this year to start competing for the division. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I think Moos has already publicly said it is time to start winning this year. I believe he said something along the lines that it is time this year to start competing for the division. 

He did.

I'm also certain of two other things....

Frost wants to win big and is working on getting us there.

Frost is under no ultimatums from the powers that be.

• Plus1 5
  • Haha 1

We've been a "young team" every single offseason since I've been here. And it's always been the previous guy's fault. Bo coasted his last year or so, and Riley was never that invested, but 2021 isn't about them.  As much as I've liked Frost and hoped he would succeed... it's his team right now, and stuff that happened 4 years ago is irrelevant. The team being "young" is because we haven't developed a WR or RB in 3 years.

• Plus1 3
4 hours ago, Saunders said:

We've been a "young team" every single offseason since I've been here. And it's always been the previous guy's fault. Bo coasted his last year or so, and Riley was never that invested, but 2021 isn't about them.  As much as I've liked Frost and hoped he would succeed... it's his team right now, and stuff that happened 4 years ago is irrelevant. The team being "young" is because we haven't developed a WR or RB in 3 years.

We've mostly been "young" because recruiting had been.  Bo's last class-and-a-half slipped from where he had been because he thought he was getting fired.  Riley's classes were mostly hype and little substance.  Frost's first class was a shotgun wedding that didn't work out very well.  So we've been hoping the young guys would pan out for quite awhile because the older guys weren't as good as we need.

The Class of 2019 - Frost's first full class - has already been paying off in just two years.  Wan'Dale and McCaffrey are now gone but Benhart, Piper, TRobinson, Henrich and Nelson have all shown to be contributors.  Johnson and Thompkins have gotten on the field but havn't stood out.  But that's nearly 40% of the class that has already been in the rotation.  We should see at least a couple more guys from that class in the rotation last year and several from the 2020 class.

So these classes look to be filling in much better than the several classes before them.

• Plus1 4

21 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I am sure we can drum up some new excuses for another disappointing season. Too many tv breaks and clapping on the sideline have been used up. It will be fun to see what we come up with this year. The sun was in our eyes has withstood the test of time- I say we give that a try. I’m sure the sun is pretty bright down in Oklahoma

And it'll be fun to come at all these negative nellie's when we have a successful season this year.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
29 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

And it'll be fun to come at all these negative nellie's when we have a successful season this year.

In my book an impressive season showing progress is at least 7 wins and no blowout losses. No losses over 21 points because that’s not competitive. Our starting QB is in his 4th season so should be a big year

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

We've mostly been "young" because recruiting had been.  Bo's last class-and-a-half slipped from where he had been because he thought he was getting fired.  Riley's classes were mostly hype and little substance.  Frost's first class was a shotgun wedding that didn't work out very well.  So we've been hoping the young guys would pan out for quite awhile because the older guys weren't as good as we need.

The Class of 2019 - Frost's first full class - has already been paying off in just two years.  Wan'Dale and McCaffrey are now gone but Benhart, Piper, TRobinson, Henrich and Nelson have all shown to be contributors.  Johnson and Thompkins have gotten on the field but havn't stood out.  But that's nearly 40% of the class that has already been in the rotation.  We should see at least a couple more guys from that class in the rotation last year and several from the 2020 class.

So these classes look to be filling in much better than the several classes before them.

I agree the 2019 class appears to have been a good one. But at the same time Frost came in with the mentality of flipping the roster to his players and a lot of Riley guys transferred or have graduated so to say it’s a good class because they are playing doesn’t mean much. If guys are playing because we don’t have a better option on the roster doesn’t mean they are actually good. If they produce wins or get individual honors I think is a more telling stat than playing time. If the 2019 class graduates and never do much more than 6-7-8 wins a season I would be disappointed in the production. 

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I agree the 2019 class appears to have been a good one. But at the same time Frost came in with the mentality of flipping the roster to his players and a lot of Riley guys transferred or have graduated so to say it’s a good class because they are playing doesn’t mean much. If guys are playing because we don’t have a better option on the roster doesn’t mean they are actually good. If they produce wins or get individual honors I think is a more telling stat than playing time. If the 2019 class graduates and never do much more than 6-7-8 wins a season I would be disappointed in the production. 

Just because Riley's guys transferred or have graduated doesn't mean that they weren't getting beat out by the younger guys.

Wan'Dale was better.

McCaffrey was good enough to start two games ahead of Frost's guy.

Benhart and Piper beat out several guys older than them.

Ty Robinson is playing ahead of several older guys.

Garrett Nelson was making a lot of plays down the stretch.

Henrich is versatile enough to contribute at multiple linebacker spots.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

In my book an impressive season showing progress is at least 7 wins and no blowout losses. No losses over 21 points because that’s not competitive. Our starting QB is in his 4th season so should be a big year

You realize don't you that due to offenses today top 10 teams are regularly losing games by 21 points or more?

• Plus1 1
On 3/23/2021 at 8:14 PM, Huskers93-97 said:

Can we still blame Beth mowins on the broadcast call as an excuse for a loss or we already burn thru that? 

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
11 hours ago, Mavric said:

Just because Riley's guys transferred or have graduated doesn't mean that they weren't getting beat out by the younger guys.

Wan'Dale was better.

McCaffrey was good enough to start two games ahead of Frost's guy.

Benhart and Piper beat out several guys older than them.

Ty Robinson is playing ahead of several older guys.

Garrett Nelson was making a lot of plays down the stretch.

Henrich is versatile enough to contribute at multiple linebacker spots.

Wandale and McCaffrey left so they are no longer part of that class. They both would have been solid players and probably would have received some individual honors. 

Ty Robinson is one I have seen enough to know he is going to be a Force. He will be winning some individual honors and should put up some good stats and hopefully help us win some games. The other guys you listed I have no doubt they will play and contribute. I just hope the potential turns into legit results. 

• Plus1 1
On 3/24/2021 at 2:06 PM, TheSker said:

He did.

I'm also certain of two other things....

Frost wants to win big and is working on getting us there.

Frost is under no ultimatums from the powers that be.

There is no disagreement about Coach Frost's desire to find success.  The question is whether he actually will make us competitive again.  Following 3 poor seasons, the trajectory is not good at this moment.

In terms of your last point, I think an ultimatum is extreme.  That said, should we at least entertain some expectations as we enter Year 4? A resounding yes!  Perhaps far fewer penalties, far fewer turnovers, no jump snaps, and better reads by the QB.  All of these issues are correctable, and are the responsibility of the coaching staff.

If we are playing "clean" football, the games will get more competitive and we will win our share of those closer games.  Amazing that a team like Kansas State, with far less tradition, far fewer resources, and far less talent can play much "cleaner" football and outpace us in wins the last 4 years (25 vs.16), bowl appearances (2 vs. 0) and significant wins (OU Twice).