***Nebraska Pro Day 2021***

GSG

17 minutes ago, Farms said:

This is another reality check for me. As a fan you follow so many of these kids from the time they are recruited out of high school and you really believe they're going to be great players.  But the fact is we, for whatever reason, have not turned out a lot of great players in the past 5 years.  Obviously things like reducing penalties, turnovers, etc could sure make us a helluva lot better team.  But the amount of NFL talent to come out of this program the last 5 years is very underwhelming.  That's in overall numbers and in regards to game changing players. (Who was the last game changing player we had BTW? Randy Gregory?).  Until this changes I see us being a middle of the road team at best. 

I get what you are saying and agree and I know all fans are tired of hearing this.  But, I believe some of the younger players will have a legitimate shot at the NFL, especially on the defensive side of the ball.  We had a few that decided to come back for another year that probably would have been in this group at Pro Day.  

The bigger issue is on the offensive side of the ball.  I foresee a few linemen that could have a chance.  Other than that, we need to see improvement on that side with impact players.  I struggle to see a QB, RB or WR that I would say has a legitimate chance at the NFL.  But, hopefully some start showing what they can do this year.

49 minutes ago, Decked said:

Game changing like first round draft talent? Randy might be right.

But Ozigbo, Stan, DPE, & even Mo Washington left voids in our offense we’ve yet to fill. The lack of development on the offensive side of the ball has been terrible. 

A player that opposing teams want to know where he's lined up every play.  A player that an opposing team game plans around.  The guys you mentioned were very solid players but they weren't that.  And I think Mo could have been that kind of player had things worked out differently.  Have we had any guys make 1st team all B1G in the past 5 years not including kickers?

5 hours ago, Farms said:

I think Mo could have been that kind of player had things worked out differently.  Have we had any guys make 1st team all B1G in the past 5 years not including kickers?

I believe hindsight shows us why programs w/legit RB's like OSU were recruiting Mo as a CB.  NU was desperate for talent & there's no ? he had play making ability, but he lacked physical toughness.  I expected him to surface at Jackson State, almost interesting that he hasn't.  

But, I agree w/your point.  For whatever reason, bad evaluation, poor development, NU hasn't produced playa's in recent memory, and it's why they've watched programs like Minnesota & Indiana ascend past them, they have.  A couple guys on each side of the ball can make the entire team look better.

• Plus1 2

The one that really sticks out to me is Mills.  We need WAY more athleticism at that position than this.  I greatly appreciate everything he did for the program while here.  He seemed to be a good team mate and worked hard.  But, we need an upgrade badly.  Let's hope that athleticism is in the room now along with the work ethic and attitude.

• Plus1 1

Here's what I don't get. For all his ills, why was Bo able to recruit the talent to at least keep us respectable and bowl eligible and Riley/Frost haven't even been close? In my mind I'd think I'd be more inclined to play for either Riley or Frost.. I just don't get why Frost is struggling to recruit offensive talent.

5 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Here's what I don't get. For all his ills, why was Bo able to recruit the talent to at least keep us respectable and bowl eligible and Riley/Frost haven't even been close? In my mind I'd think I'd be more inclined to play for either Riley or Frost.. I just don't get why Frost is struggling to recruit offensive talent.

I think Frost has been recruiting some solid talent, we just for whatever reason haven't really seen it translate to the field.  I think this year will be a huge difference in the talent that we have on the field, across the board for us.  Hopefully that can translate to wins.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

In my opinion, some of it is schematic. Bo ran a system on offense that fit talent he could get to Lincoln better than Frost (so far).  It was way less reliant on timing and QBs throwing the ball,  and having people to catch passes. 

Some of it is also the quality of competition,  the division now is just better. Losing inhibits recruiting which promotes losing however.  Wins must come this year or that cycle probably won't be broken as recruiting will get worse.

For a variety of reasons Frost has struggled to get output from the offense as a unit even though I think there is talent there,  but he's running out of time. Not that I think he'd be fired in less than 3 more years but it will be impossible to get the additional talent for depth he requires without momentum in the form of wins.

Maybe he can adjust his system if needed but I don't see signs of him bring willing to do so.

• Plus1 1
19 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Frost is recruiting and developing better talent overall, but if we say the transition class was a wash, his first "real" class is scheduled to be true juniors or redshirt sophomores. Next offseason will be the first that class is even eligible for the draft. I wish we would stop making wholesale judgements on things that we haven't even really allowed to play out yet.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
5 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

Frost is recruiting and developing better talent overall, but if we say the transition class was a wash, his first "real" class is scheduled to be true juniors or redshirt sophomores. Next offseason will be the first that class is even eligible for the draft. I wish we would stop making wholesale judgements on things that we haven't even really allowed to play out yet.

I agree.  I think we would all agree that Riley's recruiting was horrible and fixing that takes time.  Both lines are an area that does take years to fix.  Both lines were in horrible shape when Frost got here.  Seeing improvement in wins last year would have gone a long ways to easing these discussions.  let's hope we see that this year.

And...the Pro Day/Draft would be just about the final place that improvement is going to show up.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I agree.  I think we would all agree that Riley's recruiting was horrible and fixing that takes time.  Both lines are an area that does take years to fix.  Both lines were in horrible shape when Frost got here.  Seeing improvement in wins last year would have gone a long ways to easing these discussions.  let's hope we see that this year.

And...the Pro Day/Draft would be just about the final place that improvement is going to show up.

When people talk about youth with Frost it's not just the total number of freshman on the roster. It's that the first real class he put together has only been on campus for two years, one of which was during a once-in-a-generation/freak event global pandemic. And then when those players aren't immediately all-conference caliber some of our fans default straight to "This is going just like Riley".

• Plus1 4

I just took a peak at the roster on huskers.com to take a peak at what class projected  starters will be in this fall.  The extra year and the 4 game redshirt rule really makes a difference.  Damion Jackson will only be a JUNIOR!!  The guy could be around for two more seasons.  And a guy like Noa Pola Gates feels like he's been around for ever and not meaningfully contributed; he's only a redshirt freshman.  Probably shouldn't write these players off just yet.

I don't think the Huskers are nearly as young and inexperienced as people want to make them out to be.  Especially on defense.  But time will tell if that is a good thing our bad thing.

On 3/24/2021 at 9:04 AM, bugeater17 said:

I'm not surprised. Both players seemed lackadaisical on the field, so not surprising their bodies/body fat reflected the same as a result of their work in the weight room. Bad weight room/conditioning habits are tough to break when you are a clear cut starter based on talent and no one to push you. If we continue to see such input from scouts going forward I'd be more concerned about S&C and the S&C staff - but I'm not there yet. 

all the weight room hype and reports of our big time progress? more smoke, better Frost and Duval keep their mouth shut.

this kind of talk is demoralizing.

• Haha 1
On 3/25/2021 at 9:16 AM, runningblind said:

In my opinion, some of it is schematic. Bo ran a system on offense that fit talent he could get to Lincoln better than Frost (so far).  It was way less reliant on timing and QBs throwing the ball,  and having people to catch passes. 

Some of it is also the quality of competition,  the division now is just better. Losing inhibits recruiting which promotes losing however.  Wins must come this year or that cycle probably won't be broken as recruiting will get worse.

For a variety of reasons Frost has struggled to get output from the offense as a unit even though I think there is talent there,  but he's running out of time. Not that I think he'd be fired in less than 3 more years but it will be impossible to get the additional talent for depth he requires without momentum in the form of wins.

Maybe he can adjust his system if needed but I don't see signs of him bring willing to do so.

how much more time does Frost need?? Moos needs to get ready for a change.

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, hunter49 said:

how much more time does Frost need?? Moos needs to get ready for a change.

How much more time he needs is irrelevant.  Moos isn't firing him as they're tied at the hip so a new AD would have to.  I don't see leadership wanting to do anything for at least 2 years with Moos and Frost might get one more year under the new AD.

Not that they should consider making a change any faster. Frost has to get this fixed or it won't get fixed. I can't imagine anyone else wanting to coach here beyond a smaller school HC using us as a stepping stone. Settle in, Frost either fixes it or that's probably it for the sellout streak and fan apathy becomes real.

• Plus1 4
49 minutes ago, runningblind said:

How much more time he needs is irrelevant.  Moos isn't firing him as they're tied at the hip so a new AD would have to.  I don't see leadership wanting to do anything for at least 2 years with Moos and Frost might get one more year under the new AD.

Not that they should consider making a change any faster. Frost has to get this fixed or it won't get fixed. I can't imagine anyone else wanting to coach here beyond a smaller school HC using us as a stepping stone. Settle in, Frost either fixes it or that's probably it for the sellout streak and fan apathy becomes real.

One thing to keep in mind is that Moos is 70 years old.  When he was hired, I figured it wasn't a long term thing.  He may retire without being fired.  Frost would then need to show enough progress to make the new boss happy.

• Plus1 1