The 2022 Congressional Elections

4 minutes ago, nic said:

Which crisis...what the heck is he doing? 

Hurricane that hit Puerto Rico.  He went down there and had a photo op talking to some people.  Then, started "distributing" paper towels.

I think this was the same trip where the only thing he did was tell them they are too corrupt to get money.

22 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Not simping for bipartisanship when there's none to be found and actually start working on things that are supported by a majority of Americans and that they promised, and being loud about the opposition in the way when they can't get them through, for starters.

Democrats already run on positions that are broadly popular.

Raising the minimum wage, increasing taxes on the wealthy, pro-choice stances, labor rights, etc. There are probably a total of 20 policy stances they run on that get ~60% approval from the public and it doesn't help them get elected. 

Republicans have figured out that the average voter isn't so bright. They don't run on policy stances any more because it leaves them open to attack - since their policies are extremely unpopular - see Rick Scott.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Raising the minimum wage, increasing taxes on the wealthy, pro-choice stances, labor rights, etc. There are probably a total of 20 policy stances they run on that get ~60% approval from the public and it doesn't help them get elected. 

Their problem is they run on these policies but they don't get these policies passed into law.

Biden campaigned on student debt relief. We're nowhere near moving forward on that policy, and those voters who voted for him because of that are pissed.

Once again, the Democrats are their own worst enemies.

• Plus1 2

28 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

You realize a lot of suburban women...and rural women, and metro women...want to see Roe overturned, right?

What's a lot? Most recent polling I could find for overturning Roe is from 2021 (Edit: I incorrectly wrote 2018 originally) (link):

Americans' Support for Abortion Law Changes, by Key Demographics
  Overturn
Roe v. Wade
Ban after 18th week Ban after fetal
heartbeat detected
Ban for genetic disorders
  % % % %
GALLUP, MAY 3-18, 2021
U.S. adults 32 41 38 38
Women 34 46 37 39
35 to 54 30 45 37 37
55 and older 32 41 41 46
Race  
White Americans 30 45 38 39
Non-White Americans 37 33 38 37
Party ID with leaners  
Republicans/Lean Rep. 46 57 54 49
Democrats/Lean Dem. 21 28 25 30

There's only 32% of women in favor of overturning Roe. In fact there isn't a majority in favor of overturning Roe in any of the demographics in that poll.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that @RedDenver

I used faulty language, with regards to overturning. And you are correct it is about 1/3 in favor of that. I meant that not every woman wants abortion status quo, via Roe, which is illustrated by your graph, where almost half would limit to less than 18 weeks.

Thanks for the link.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

Thanks for that @RedDenver

I used faulty language, with regards to overturning. And you are correct it is about 1/3 in favor of that. I meant that not every woman wants abortion status quo, via Roe, which is illustrated by your graph, where almost half would limit to less than 18 weeks.

Thanks for the link.

I'm pretty sure Roe allows states to determine bans in 2nd trimester, which is 12-24 weeks so even earlier than 18 weeks, maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

But the original statement was about women wanting to overturn Roe, which the poll shows is not quite a third. Which means a strong majority either don't want Roe overturned or are ok with the status quo.

• Plus1 1

10 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

What's a lot? Most recent polling I could find for overturning Roe is from 2021 (Edit: I incorrectly wrote 2018 originally) (link):

Americans' Support for Abortion Law Changes, by Key Demographics
  Overturn
Roe v. Wade
Ban after 18th week Ban after fetal
heartbeat detected
Ban for genetic disorders
  % % % %
GALLUP, MAY 3-18, 2021
U.S. adults 32 41 38 38
Women 34 46 37 39
35 to 54 30 45 37 37
55 and older 32 41 41 46
Race  
White Americans 30 45 38 39
Non-White Americans 37 33 38 37
Party ID with leaners  
Republicans/Lean Rep. 46 57 54 49
Democrats/Lean Dem. 21 28 25 30

There's only 32% of women in favor of overturning Roe. In fact there isn't a majority in favor of overturning Roe in any of the demographics in that poll.

It's pretty telling that only 30% of White Americans - who largely comprise rural America - want to overturn Roe. 

And yet our minority party and their tame SC Justices are going to do just that. 

I can't wait for the Democrats to fumble that gift like Niles Paul on the way to the end zone against Iowa State in 2009. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Their problem is they run on these policies but they don't get these policies passed into law.

Biden campaigned on student debt relief. We're nowhere near moving forward on that policy, and those voters who voted for him because of that are pissed.

Once again, the Democrats are their own worst enemies.

Passing them into law is hard. For their social positions, they need 60 votes, which will never happen. For their economic positions, their policy can only be ad progressive as the most moderate Senator allows - in this case Manchin. There isn't anything they can do. Furthermore, their coalition is broad, making each branch of their coalition is difficult.

That isn't to say Biden/Democrats leadership haven't flubbed their opportunities, but they're also trying to accomplish things by convincing a Senator from a state Trump won by 30% to go along. 

22 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Yeah and they don't do jack s#!t in regards to those positions. 

They can't do anything to enact those policy proposals because they have to win elections by impossible margins to get the majorities needed to enact them. 

In contrast, Republicans can lose each of the next two election cycles by 3% - and by as much as 5% in 2024 - in the popular vote and control a filibuster proof trifecta as a result.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

They can't do anything to enact those policy proposals because they have to win elections by impossible margins to get the majorities needed to enact them. 

Enacting would be great, but that's not even what we're talking about here. 

This convo started with knapplc saying "voters are tired of Democrats sitting on their hands", and a tweet expressing that voters need to see fight and conviction. This is about the marketing and visibility game.

The Democrats are constantly losing the messaging game, which is one cog in the machine that leads to their awful election results. One guaranteed way to make sure you won't accomplish something is if you don't even try. Reframe the narrative. Put things to votes so you can point to people voting against it. Come up with new talking points. Fill the media with the benefits and the messaging of your goal. Create the impression that you are trying like hell to actually get this done and the people not on board are the ones standing in the way of voters having their student loans forgiven or better access to healthcare or whatever, instead of accepting defeat in the public eye by either ignoring or being weeks late in addressing the misinformation and spin from your opponents. 

Progressive folks want to see some actual teeth to progressive politics.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Enacting would be great, but that's not even what we're talking about here. 

This convo started with knapplc saying "voters are tired of Democrats sitting on their hands", and a tweet expressing that voters need to see fight and conviction. This is about the marketing and visibility game.

The Democrats are constantly losing the messaging game, which is one cog in the machine that leads to their awful election results. One guaranteed way to make sure you won't accomplish something is if you don't even try. Reframe the narrative. Put things to votes so you can point to people voting against it. Come up with new talking points. Fill the media with the benefits and the messaging of your goal. Create the impression that you are trying like hell to actually get this done and the people not on board are the ones standing in the way of voters having their student loans forgiven or better access to healthcare or whatever, instead of accepting defeat in the public eye by either ignoring or being weeks late in addressing the misinformation and spin from your opponents. 

Progressive folks want to see some actual teeth to progressive politics.

This is extremely difficult for Democrats now.  I'm not saying Dems are honest about everything.  But, Republicans have taken dishonestly to a completely new level never seen before.  They do that through their media outlets that are there for no reason other than to feed this disinformation.  They then have brainwashed a significant percentage of the population that these outlets are the ONLY place they can get factual information.  Once that's done....it doesn't even matter how idiotic the lies are.

Dems have media outlets that lean their way.  However, they don't have the complete machine of disinformation working like the Repubs.  So, let's say the Dems are going to do everything they can to be honest about issues and push for these issues that supposedly a majority of Americans want?  How do they get around the disinformation to gain more power to get it done?

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1