The 2022 Congressional Elections

59 minutes ago, nic said:

I would really be interested in knowing.

This has been a trend for some time.  In fact, there are a some professional degrees like CPA, Dentistry, MD, veterinary....etc that have more women than men enter the field through college.  Kind of sucks if you're needing to hire in these fields and you're a sexist idiot that doesn't like hiring women.

My gut feeling is that, for some reason, people don't stress academics as strong with boys.  Doesn't make sense to me, but I've seen it.  They stress more for the boy to be the stud athlete.

7 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

Are you saying Republicans somewhat have a platform of not wanting people to get a higher education because then they mostly won’t vote for Republicans come election time??:facepalm:

Yes. As evidenced by education level voting patterns, and whatever flavor-of-the-month issues to be scared of in education and academia on right-wing media.

7 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

You mind letting me know what a ‘mainstream’ education is?  One could go to 50 different college or universities and get extremely different educations.  Heck, one could go to the same college or university 20 different times and get 20 totally different educations based on courses selected. 

It's probably similar to what the 'mainstream' media is. That is, to folks inside the right-wing echo chamber, anything that isn't conservative.

21 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Yes. As evidenced by education level voting patterns, and whatever flavor-of-the-month issues to be scared of in education and academia on right-wing media.

Cool, if you could let us know where in the GOP platform it is located to tell people to stay away from higher education we would be grateful.  I couldn’t find it.  

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

Cool, if you could let us know where in the GOP platform it is located to tell people to stay away from higher education we would be grateful.  I couldn’t find it.  

Sometimes things are true even though they aren't officially codified. You're smart enough to be able to put pieces together.

PSDT_08.19.19_highered-00-01.png?resize=

PSDT_08.19.19_highered-00-02.png?resize=

PSDT_08.19.19_highered-00-03.png?resize=

microsoftteams-image_8.png

1110678_1_1027-education-by%20party_larg

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I would really be interested in knowing.

This has been a trend for some time.  In fact, there are a some professional degrees like CPA, Dentistry, MD, veterinary....etc that have more women than men enter the field through college.  Kind of sucks if you're needing to hire in these fields and you're a sexist idiot that doesn't like hiring women.

My gut feeling is that, for some reason, people don't stress academics as strong with boys.  Doesn't make sense to me, but I've seen it.  They stress more for the boy to be the stud athlete.

The WSJ interviewed a few male kids choosing not to go and wrote an article. There were a few reasons given by the interviewees but no strong conclusions. One reason was they didn’t see the benefit of accumulating all the debt for what they wanted to do, and they would rather just start earning money, but that could apply to either sex. There was some indication by one kid that was interviewed that he felt like he was paying $ to be told how bad he was… White men are racist, sexist sort of thing which would play into some of the discussion in this thread. Another said he simply had no motivation to go, which is what I see in teenage boys. I know of many that are dropping out of HS, getting GEDs and starting a trade. HVAC, plumbing, etc. they are smart kids too. 

• Plus1 1
19 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

The gloves have come off.

Yes, this is the kind of guy we don't want anywhere around the Capital.  Makes me wonder if he was a part of the Jan 6 insurrection crowd.

He's also the kind of guy who shouldn't have a gun IMHO.   A Jason Borne want-to-be without the intelligence or emotional control.  

Greitens resigned the governorship in 2018 amid allegations that at various times he bound, photographed, sexually assaulted and blackmailed a woman. Greitens acknowledged having an extra-marital affair but denied the allegations of assault and blackmail.

No charges were filed in the case, but a Republican-led committee in the Missouri house found evidence that Greitens engaged in “multiple acts constituting crimes, misconduct, and acts of moral turpitude,” both in the alleged sexual assault case, and in another scandal involving a Greitens fundraising effort. 

In addition, Greitens’ ex-wife Sheena Greitens has accused him of physical abuse of her and their children as part of an ongoing child custody dispute, accusations the candidate has denied and said are part of a smear campaign backed by Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) and “the RINO swamp.” 

• Plus1 1
On 6/17/2022 at 10:35 PM, nic said:

The WSJ interviewed a few male kids choosing not to go and wrote an article. There were a few reasons given by the interviewees but no strong conclusions. One reason was they didn’t see the benefit of accumulating all the debt for what they wanted to do, and they would rather just start earning money, but that could apply to either sex. There was some indication by one kid that was interviewed that he felt like he was paying $ to be told how bad he was… White men are racist, sexist sort of thing which would play into some of the discussion in this thread. Another said he simply had no motivation to go, which is what I see in teenage boys. I know of many that are dropping out of HS, getting GEDs and starting a trade. HVAC, plumbing, etc. they are smart kids too. 

So, some males who have never been to college, aren't going because they don't like being told they are racist, sexist...etc.  That sounds like they have bought into the Republican mantra.  It's awesome if some are getting into the trades.  We need those people.

• Plus1 1
48 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, some males who have never been to college, aren't going because they don't like being told they are racist, sexist...etc.  That sounds like they have bought into the Republican mantra.  It's awesome if some are getting into the trades.  We need those people.

Those kids going into the trades are going to be called a lot worse when they get on the job site!

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Or 1) A fulltime welder/hvac/whatever fresh out of college can make as much as I do as a nearly 40 something business professional. or 2) They were never going to go anyway, needed an excuse to be a drop out and remain in mom and dads basement, and this sounded good to the audiences they were talking with, so they repeated it. 

7 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Or 1) A fulltime welder/hvac/whatever fresh out of college can make as much as I do as a nearly 40 something business professional. or 2) They were never going to go anyway, needed an excuse to be a drop out and remain in mom and dads basement, and this sounded good to the audiences they were talking with, so they repeated it. 

I was talking about the one excuse the kid made.

16 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Ehhh, not much worse than being unfairly called racist.   

Which is BS.  I have three kids that have graduated or just about to graduate and not one of them have said they have been called racist, been made to feel racist...etc. while being in college.  This is just another made up BS from Republicans who want to demonize higher education.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1