The 2022 Congressional Elections

1 hour ago, nic said:

High enough that Hillary commented on it and then got criticized. Maybe Hillary doesn’t matter anymore, but that is why I picked that example. 

So commenting on something is the only basis we have for how high up the list trans women competing in sports is for democratic politicians? That's pretty vague and not really useful. 

Do you think it's high enough on the list to be a bullet point on anybody's campaign website? 

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It's funny when Republicans claim Democrats want open borders.....when more Mexicans have been caught trying to cross the border during the Democrat administration.

When  the appropriate tools are in place, it’s easy to see how perception becomes “reality”.

6 hours ago, knapplc said:

Which dude, the dude who said the racist thing or the dude who called him out on it?

The dude who made the racism accusation. Back then it was very a bad thing to say about someone. It still is, but it’s getting watered down from overuse.  

• Plus1 2
5 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

So commenting on something is the only basis we have for how high up the list trans women competing in sports is for democratic politicians? That's pretty vague and not really useful. 

Do you think it's high enough on the list to be a bullet point on anybody's campaign website? 

Non idea. All the bullet points for Dems this fall will be Roe v Wade and gun control.

1 hour ago, nic said:

Non idea. All the bullet points for Dems this fall will be Roe v Wade and gun control.

Okay so is it fair to say that when brought up transgender athletes as an example of "the problems they have real solutions to are not at the forefront of most voters top priorities", that was a pretty terrible example of whatever point you were trying to make? Because that's also not a problem/solution that is at the forefront of the Democrats top platform priorities?

1 hour ago, Lorewarn said:

Okay so is it fair to say that when brought up transgender athletes as an example of "the problems they have real solutions to are not at the forefront of most voters top priorities", that was a pretty terrible example of whatever point you were trying to make? Because that's also not a problem/solution that is at the forefront of the Democrats top platform priorities?

Pick another example if you want to. There are many to chose from. If someone argues against trans athletes in womens sports what does that make them? Intolerant? Are they told that? If they want school of choice what does that make them? What if they are religious? ...There are probably a number of adjectives used to describe religious folks. 

The point of the post is that if Dems dump on voters they are trying to attract, their message and real solutions go nowhere. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
16 hours ago, nic said:

The dude who made the racism accusation. Back then it was very a bad thing to say about someone. It still is, but it’s getting watered down from overuse.  

It's always interesting that conservatives feel it's more damnable to be accused of being a racist than actually being a racist.

Leopards always show their spots.

• Plus1 4

Everyone's at least a little racist. Conservatives get so butthurt about the conversation and liberals get so frothy at the mouth about the conversation because most people treat it like a yes or no thing when it's really like being hungry. Like maybe you aren't right now but a cheeseburger could cut you off on the highway and all the sudden you're pretty hungry :lol:

I know I'm a little racist because I get a little extra excited if a white receiver catches the ball in the NFL

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
4 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Everyone's at least a little racist. Conservatives get so butthurt about the conversation and liberals get so frothy at the mouth about the conversation because most people treat it like a yes or no thing when it's really like being hungry. Like maybe you aren't right now but a cheeseburger could cut you off on the highway and all the sudden you're pretty hungry :lol:

I know I'm a little racist because I get a little extra excited if a white receiver catches the ball in the NFL

If a white person cuts me off on the highway I get mad.

If a black person cuts me off and I get mad, that's racist?

I know that's not exactly the analogy you're going for, but if we're all "a little bit racist," what does a person have to do to bring that out in me?

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

If a white person cuts me off on the highway I get mad.

If a black person cuts me off and I get mad, that's racist?

I know that's not exactly the analogy you're going for, but if we're all "a little bit racist," what does a person have to do to bring that out in me?

Here’s an anecdote that might help.  I’m a white, 40 year old man.

I’m walking down the street approaching a group of white teenagers.  I don’t even think about crossing the street, I keep on my way.  I’m not thinking about anything other than where I’m going.

Now, I’m approaching a group of black teens. I also plan to keep walking and address them the same, probably a slight nod with a “how’s it going?”.  But know what I would probably do?  Keep walking past them even if I needed to cross the street.  Not because I want some alpha moment, but because I’m racist enough to think the black teens might question why I crossed the street.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

3 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

Here’s an anecdote that might help.

Everyone has biases. Everyone. Sometimes we are aware of them, sometimes we are not. Sometimes our biases manifest in ways that we might not expect. 

Those of us who are white, in our private conversations, do we talk about racial issues with our white friends and family in exactly the same way as we do with our black friends? How many of us have actually talked about racial issues with a black person? As white people, aren't we often a little more aware of our behavior when we are around people of color? I would guess that most white people, racist or not, are at least a little sensitive to how they are perceived when it comes to racial issues.

Some of us try to be very aware and take efforts to do the right thing, knowing that it is still possible to make a mistake because we don't know what it is like to walk in another's shoes. Some of us remain willfully ignorant and only respond when someone dares to call us out on our biases or our behavior (even when it is unintentional).

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, knapplc said:

It's always interesting that conservatives feel it's more damnable to be accused of being a racist than actually being a racist.

Leopards always show their spots.

Thanks for proving my point. :D

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Yeah! 2
2 hours ago, Ulty said:

Those of us who are white, in our private conversations, do we talk about racial issues with our white friends and family in exactly the same way as we do with our black friends?

Not sure. It’s more about how well I know a person than the color of their skin. Or maybe their personality... Are they a sensitive person for example. I don’t typically engage in deep conversations about race with someone I don’t know yet.

2 hours ago, Ulty said:

How many of us have actually talked about racial issues with a black person?

I have. I am always curious if someone is willing to talk about it. My nephew’s wife has shared her experiences growing up black. My neighbors came from Africa so their stories were very interesting. Loved learning about their culture and meeting their extended family.  They came to the US for college so a little different experience. The father also shared difficulties his son was experiencing in local schools. I miss them. They were a hoot.

2 hours ago, Ulty said:

As white people, aren't we often a little more aware of our behavior when we are around people of color? 

after George Floyd happened, I would walk past a black person and wonder if they hated me. Never entered my mind before 2020.

• Plus1 3
4 hours ago, Ulty said:

Everyone has biases. Everyone. Sometimes we are aware of them, sometimes we are not. Sometimes our biases manifest in ways that we might not expect. 

Those of us who are white, in our private conversations, do we talk about racial issues with our white friends and family in exactly the same way as we do with our black friends? How many of us have actually talked about racial issues with a black person? As white people, aren't we often a little more aware of our behavior when we are around people of color? I would guess that most white people, racist or not, are at least a little sensitive to how they are perceived when it comes to racial issues.

Some of us try to be very aware and take efforts to do the right thing, knowing that it is still possible to make a mistake because we don't know what it is like to walk in another's shoes. Some of us remain willfully ignorant and only respond when someone dares to call us out on our biases or our behavior (even when it is unintentional).

Bias isn't racism, though.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, knapplc said:

Bias isn't racism, though.

If you ever have any bias related to or informed by race, that is 100% racism, but depending on what the bias is and how it manifests it might be very very minor innocuous racism :lol: 

The first thing that shows up on google when you search 'bias' is 'A bias is a tendency, inclination, or prejudice toward or against something or someone.' If that definition is even tangentially related to someone's skin color, then that's at least tangentially racist.