The 2022 Congressional Elections

1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

Not to detract from the rest of your post TGH (good luck with your vote) but I thought this was an important takeaway. SO MANY places are like this now. We keep losing competitive races at all levels of government as politicians increasingly choose their own voters. 

As an independent in Colorado I get to vote in either the democratic or republican primary. They send me two ballots, I send one back. In 2020 it made no sense to vote on the Republican side because it was mostly single candidate primaries. This year the Republicans had many to choose from. On my ballot the Dems had no competitive primaries, even at the local level. I voted on the Republican side this time.

1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

Not to detract from the rest of your post TGH (good luck with your vote) but I thought this was an important takeaway. SO MANY places are like this now. We keep losing competitive races at all levels of government as politicians increasingly choose their own voters. 

For me at least the end result is feeling a lot more like it's all just an illusion of choice and giving up on meaningful anything from politicians. Maybe that's the intended effect. Either way it's a bummer.

I'm sure Republicans would totally vote to end gerrymandering and institute Ranked-Choice voting.

This isn't a shot at you, just pointing out the undemocratic nature of one major political party. 

7 hours ago, nic said:

As an independent in Colorado I get to vote in either the democratic or republican primary. They send me two ballots, I send one back. In 2020 it made no sense to vote on the Republican side because it was mostly single candidate primaries. This year the Republicans had many to choose from. On my ballot the Dems had no competitive primaries, even at the local level. I voted on the Republican side this time.

I’m in Nebraska and vote Republican.  My POV, the Dems aren’t going to win in November so the primary is my “general”.

Sucks.,

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, nic said:

In OKLA Independents can vote in the Dem primary but not the GOP.   I think 2024 it will be in both. Then I can change my registration to be a fully independent voter. 

As mentioned before, it is on the GOP side where most of the action is in this state.  When we first moved here in Nov 1978 this was a fully Dem blue state. I think all but 1 of the 6 Congressional districts was Dem, there was  a Dem legislature,  1 Dem US Senator and 1 GOP senator.  Now it is total GOP except one Dem US Congresswoman from OKC. 

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Some more polling showing similar results.

Very interesting.  So, if these states continue to try to pass extremely strict anti-abortion laws, this could backfire big time on them in 2022 and 2024.

Now, if these states would come out with reasonable restrictions like has been discussed on here, Republicans could come out looking like a reasonable party that's willing to listen to the masses.

OK......I know that's not going to happen.  So, it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

• Plus1 1
57 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Very interesting.  So, if these states continue to try to pass extremely strict anti-abortion laws, this could backfire big time on them in 2022 and 2024.

Now, if these states would come out with reasonable restrictions like has been discussed on here, Republicans could come out looking like a reasonable party that's willing to listen to the masses.

OK......I know that's not going to happen.  So, it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

I'd be shocked if it has a meaningful impact on the midterms.

I can see it costing Republicans a House seat or two, but overall they're still going to win 35-40 House seats and 3-5 Seante seats.

Today's vote was as much strategic as it was ideological. If PPB wins, she goes to Congress and her Unicameral seat is replaced by The Human Thumb with some conservative stooge. It sends a message that Nebraska is not entirely Red, and that Blue voters can flex.

But the margin in the Unicameral is razor thin. And if PPB goes to Washington and the Pale Orange Peel appoints a conservative stooge to her seat, abortion comes on the chopping block here in Nebraska in the next few weeks, if not days.

A lot of people weighed this before voting today. So don't listen to any national pundit's "nEbRaSkA iS bLuE!!!!" or NeBrAsKa Is ReD!1!1" take after this special election.

It was a tough vote. But at least I got to vote in a new month. Never voted in June that I can recall.

And I got a sticker. Suck it, non-voters.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I'll dispute how solid that R is. I nearly voted for the stooge tonight, strategically, so PPB could stay on the Unicameral and stave off retrograde abortion reforms.

If PPB runs this Fall, it'll be a tossup.

This would be funny if it weren’t real. Colorado republican primary has 3 people running for Secretary of State (the position responsible for fair elections among other things). It was a runaway win but the person in 3rd place, Tina Peters, with less than 20% is refusing to concede saying the election was rigged. BTW, did I mention she is a Trump supporter who thinks that election was rigged too. And oh BTW did I also mention she was charged with election tampering while she held a similar county level position during the last presidential election. :facepalm:  You just can’t make this s#!t up.

• Oh Yeah! 1
7 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

This would be funny if it weren’t real. Colorado republican primary has 3 people running for Secretary of State (the position responsible for fair elections among other things). It was a runaway win but the person in 3rd place, Tina Peters, with less than 20% is refusing to concede saying the election was rigged. BTW, did I mention she is a Trump supporter who thinks that election was rigged too. And oh BTW did I also mention she was charged with election tampering while she held a similar county level position during the last presidential election. :facepalm:  You just can’t make this s#!t up.

We went over to Weld County over the weekend to hit up a brewery and I was pretty disgusted by how many signs were out for Tina Peters :facepalm:

She shouldn't be allowed to hold office at any level

• Plus1 3