The 2022 Congressional Elections

2 minutes ago, nic said:

I need to find the right article…maybe in my history,… but it was not just Cubans going for DeSantis. Puerto Ricans and other Latinos did as well. Nationally the Republicans gained with Hispanics from 2018. It’s a 60/40 Dem lead now.

My point was that the margin in Florida isn’t very useful because of how strongly Republican Cubans are. So I just think that context is important.

The GOP is gaining with them but personally for me it’s pretty meh. Hispanics aren’t a monolith so it’s not like the same equal amounts of the same groups of them are trending Republicans evenly across swing states, etc. For instance the heavy shift in Florida probably skewed the national margin. And younger Hispanics are likely more liberal than older ones, just like other nationalities.

Rhere are some lessons to learn there but they’re not very clear nor very generalizable.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
  • TBH 1

21 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

My point was that the margin in Florida isn’t very useful because of how strongly Republican Cubans are. So I just think that context is important.

The GOP is gaining with them but personally for me it’s pretty meh. Hispanics aren’t a monolith so it’s not like the same equal amounts of the same groups of them are trending Republicans evenly across swing states, etc. For instance the heavy shift in Florida probably skewed the national margin. And younger Hispanics are likely more liberal than older ones, just like other nationalities.

Rhere are some lessons to learn there but they’re not very clear nor very generalizable.

Gotcha. I guess we will see what 2024 holds before we say there is a trend.

27 minutes ago, nic said:

Surprising, good sport for a change. Kudos. I wonder if the Dem leadership wants her in to embarrass the Repubs?

he probably conceded because he had fewer votes.....not because the democrats wanted her in there to embarrass republicans.     she won that district by 25,000 votes last time and only 500 this time so it's obvious that many changed their minds about having the loony tunes congresswomen but not enough of them unfortunately.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

On 11/18/2022 at 4:11 PM, commando said:

he probably conceded because he had fewer votes.....not because the democrats wanted her in there to embarrass republicans.     she won that district by 25,000 votes last time and only 500 this time so it's obvious that many changed their minds about having the loony tunes congresswomen but not enough of them unfortunately.

But I think there is an auto recount…not sure though. Why would he concede before the recount is done. 500 is not very much.

6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

What?

My goodness - if he gets elected, it is time to turn off the lights on true democracy in this country.  I don't care if you lean left or right - how can anyone be in their right mind to vote for this guy.  I'd vote for Warnick based on intelligence alone - even if he leans more left than I.  The GOP is becoming a party of idiots - what does that say about our country. 

• TBH 3
43 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

My goodness - if he gets elected, it is time to turn off the lights on true democracy in this country.  I don't care if you lean left or right - how can anyone be in their right mind to vote for this guy.  I'd vote for Warnick based on intelligence alone - even if he leans more left than I.  The GOP is becoming a party of idiots - what does that say about our country. 

Yes, someone who is smart and thoughtful, but I disagree on policies, is way better than an idiot that has no clue what he's doing.

10 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

And is pastor of the church that evicts people for $100 due, and covers up sex crimes against minors (allegedly).  Yep sounds like a smart and thoughtful person.  :lol:

The eviction notices were filed not by Warnock or his church but by the 1% business partner in owning the building, and weren't actually carried out. So that's really just two allegedly's, and neither has much of anything to do with being smart. Maybe a little bit to do with being thoughtful, but I doubt you know any more than me as far as the inner workings of charitable housing for the homeless or how involved the head pastor of the church would be in that.

• Plus1 3
Just now, Lorewarn said:

The eviction notices were filed not by Warnock or his church but by the 1% business partner in owning the building, and weren't actually carried out. So that's really just two allegedly's, and neither has much of anything to do with being smart. Maybe a little bit to do with being thoughtful, but I doubt you know any more than me as far as the inner workings of charitable housing for the homeless or how involved the head pastor of the church would be in that.

https://freebeacon.com/democrats/warnock-denies-his-church-evicts-tenants-three-eviction-notices-were-filed-last-week/amp/

Warnock’s claim that there have been no evictions from Columbia Tower during the pandemic is not true.

Fulton County marshals carried out two court-ordered writs of possession against Columbia Tower residents during the pandemic, court records show.

One was carried out on Aug. 17, 2020, against a woman who was sued in March 2020 for just $28.55 in past-due rent, court records show. The tenant had vacated the building when the writ of possession was carried out. She would have been forcibly ejected from the apartment, however, if she was there when authorities arrived.

Columbia Tower dismissed four other eviction lawsuits it had filed against residents during the pandemic, but only after they paid excessive court fees that far exceeded their monthly rent.

• Plus1 1