Anti-vaxxers and Anti-maskers

The media has been reporting the people with reactions to the Johnson & Johnson covid vaccine nearly every day for the past month.  It was reported on NBC Nightly News again just yesterday.   

But the numbers don't seem to indicate a problem, imho.  8 million people have received the J&J vaccine.  Six have had problems with blood clotting.  One died.  One person out of 8 million.  WTF??  There would probably be more than six negative reactions if 8 million people received a placebo injection.  But the media just keeps ringing the alarm bells.  

I wonder how many people are reluctant to receive vaccinations due to the alarmist media reports of negative reactions?  1 million?  10 million?  50 million.  And of those, how many of those will die?  Let's run some numbers:  

About 10% of the U.S. population has gotten Covid-19 over the past year.  Roughly 1.5 to 2.0% have died (if you believe the reporting).   Let's use 1.5% to be conservative.  

So, if the back of my envelope is correct, around 1.5 unvaccinated people out of 1,000 die.  That's 1,500 out of a million.  If 10 million decide not to be vaccinated due to the alarmist media reports (10 mil is a total WAG), it will result in 15,000 people needlessly dying.   So much for responsible and accurate journalism.  /smh 

(Let me know if my math spitballing is in error.)   

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, NUance said:

The media has been reporting the people with reactions to the Johnson & Johnson covid vaccine nearly every day for the past month.  It was reported on NBC Nightly News again just yesterday.   

But the numbers don't seem to indicate a problem, imho.  8 million people have received the J&J vaccine.  Six have had problems with blood clotting.  One died.  One person out of 8 million.  WTF??  There would probably be more than six negative reactions if 8 million people received a placebo injection.  But the media just keeps ringing the alarm bells.  

I wonder how many people are reluctant to receive vaccinations due to the alarmist media reports of negative reactions?  And how many of those will die?  1 million?  10 million?  50 million.  Let's run some numbers:  

About 10% of the U.S. population has gotten Covid-19 over the past year.  Roughly 1.5 to 2.0% have died (if you believe the reporting).   Let's use 1.5% to be conservative.  

So, if the back of my envelope is correct, around 1.5 unvaccinated people out of 1,000 die.  That's 1,500 out of a million.  If 10 million decide not to be vaccinated due to the alarmist media reports (10 mil is a total WAG), it will result in 15,000 people needlessly dying.   So much for responsible and accurate journalism.  /smh 

(Let me know if my math spitballing is in error.)   

I think I have more a problem with them halting the vaccinations. Regardless of what the reason was, the media would have needed to report about the halt. Otherwise the conspiracy theories would have been worse. Maybe they are reporting too often but there needs to be an explanation out there for the public.

• Plus1 2
31 minutes ago, knapplc said:

WTF? I'm surprised no parents are doing anything about this. 

Dear Super Weirdos,

Please do not stand around elementary, no matter what your "cause" is, and start trying to spout off your ideas to a bunch of kids that are just trying to go home.  You know better and you should be beaten with a rubber hose.

All the best,

Normal people. 

• Plus1 6
  • Thanks 1

We don’t even need the JJ vaccine in the US. MRNA vaccines are plentiful and the storage requirements are figured out with companies reducing the cold requirements if injected within a certain amount of time. I could see US even donating our stockpile of JJ at some point.  

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

We don’t even need the JJ vaccine in the US. MRNA vaccines are plentiful and the storage requirements are figured out with companies reducing the cold requirements if injected within a certain amount of time. I could see US even donating our stockpile of JJ at some point.  

I can see how this will go....so we give the rest of the world our rejects that we aren't willing to approve.

54 minutes ago, jaws said:

I can see how this will go....so we give the rest of the world our rejects that we aren't willing to approve.

JJ vaccine isn’t really a reject.  If we can get by without it, why not donate our supply to lesser developed countries?  Why is that bad?  Many developing countries will have problems with the cold storage requirements of Biontech

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Archy1221 said:

JJ vaccine isn’t really a reject.  If we can get by without it, why not donate our supply to lesser developed countries?  Why is that bad?  Many developing countries will have problems with the cold storage requirements of Biontech

I wish the US didn't do a hard stop on the J&J vaccine, but as of right now it is not being used in the US so that is why I called it a reject. Other countries may very well take whatever we can give them and be very happy with it. However, lets not act like all of our "help" that we have given to the majority world has been in good faith since sometimes we do pass along our rejects and/or trash. I am just saying that it might be framed that way in other countries. 

10 minutes ago, jaws said:

I wish the US didn't do a hard stop on the J&J vaccine, but as of right now it is not being used in the US so that is why I called it a reject. Other countries may very well take whatever we can give them and be very happy with it. However, lets not act like all of our "help" that we have given to the majority world has been in good faith since sometimes we do pass along our rejects and/or trash. I am just saying that it might be framed that way in other countries. 

The J&J shot can be part of a gift pack that also includes Chiefs repeat Super Bowl champion t-shirts.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, jaws said:

It is in good faith as we could just keep it tell it expires if we wanted and those countries could be on their own.    And it’s possible that once the pause is over we won’t need JJ because we have so much MRNA.  

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

It is in good faith as we could just keep it tell it expires if we wanted and those countries could be on their own.    And it’s possible that once the pause is over we won’t need JJ because we have so much MRNA.  

Or we could lift any embargos on vaccine raw materials and let places like India make their own. We can argue about this all day but I don't want to. I am just saying it isn't as cut and dry as sending it to another country and feeling good about ourselves. 

2 hours ago, jaws said:

Or we could lift any embargos on vaccine raw materials and let places like India make their own. We can argue about this all day but I don't want to. I am just saying it isn't as cut and dry as sending it to another country and feeling good about ourselves. 

I mean, why would any other country want our stuff, we were the ones that did the worst job handling the virus...

2 hours ago, jaws said:

As long as you include some bowling balls for the poor orphans. 

This is beyond funny!  

Well done!

It's unbelievable how ignorant this guy is.  Is he trying to kill people?  Because the longer this continues to spread widely the greater the chance of variants breaking through the vaccines.  What's not to understand about that?  Even more baffling is how anyone with a brain larger than a walnut can support these guys.  :facepalm:

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1