Anti-vaxxers and Anti-maskers

On 4/23/2021 at 12:18 PM, Scarlet said:

It's unbelievable how ignorant this guy is.  Is he trying to kill people?  Because the longer this continues to spread widely the greater the chance of variants breaking through the vaccines.  What's not to understand about that?  Even more baffling is how anyone with a brain larger than a walnut can support these guys.  :facepalm:

I really wish dumbf#&%s wouldn't vote for other dumbf#&%s.

• Plus1 1

On 3/25/2021 at 10:39 AM, NUance said:

I guess I don't understand why?  Do these people not know the damage they're doing?  They must know that they're spreading misinformation.  I wonder if they've ever thought about how many deaths they've caused?    

This is a perfect example of the freedom we have in America, and the potential for harm that comes along with those freedoms.   The 1st Amendment gives us the freedom to say nearly anything we want—regardless of whether it's true or not.     /gets off soapbox.  pours a drink 

I generally stay as far away from the anti-vax/anti-mask/'alternative treatment' groups as I can, so although I can't answer why, I must admit that I'm thoroughly unsurprised one of the loudest voices in that community also happens to be making millions of dollars off of their 'alternatives.' The simplest answer is probably that people are going to believe what they choose to believe... like when you see a flat-earther conduct an experiment that proves the earth is NOT flat, but then they're like "oh that's interesting, back to the drawing board I guess" like it never happened.

My biggest problem with the anti-vax group in general is the convenient ignorance of their beliefs. One of the biggest reasons they can get away with that "belief" is thanks to the hundreds of millions of people that do choose to get vaccinated or vaccinate their children every year. It's pretty selfish IMO.

It's just like the millions of people who will adamantly refuse to get the COVID vaccine while benefitting from the efforts of the majority who did get vaccinated and help cultivate herd immunity.

• Plus1 1

As much as I believe in the efficacy of the Covid-19 vaccines and have gotten both myself early on, I think many of those not getting the Covid-19 vaccine should be considered Anti-Vaxxers.   

I believe that the majority of the people who haven’t gotten the Covid-19 vaccine are just people who believe in vaccines in general and have gotten pretty much every other vaccine (outside of flu vaccine, which I have never gotten either), but fall into a low risk category for severe Covid-19 reaction and are worried about a brand new medicine.  My general sense is that as time goes on, many in this category will see the safety profile as great and end up getting at least one MRNA shot by end of summer.  

Probably the biggest group of people who won’t get vaccinated once they are approved to do so is the under 16 crowd.  They are very low risk and I could parents not inoculating their kids out of some remote fear of a reaction to vaccine compared to that low of a risk of severe Covid-19 infection if they do catch it.    

• Plus1 1

IMO there is some politics at play for certain groups of people who appear inclined to not want to get vaccinated. Some recent research/surveys are showing that older Republican men (particularly rural Republican men) are among the least likely to want to get the vaccine. Mitch McConnell has been fairly outspoken about the issue in recent weeks/months... somewhat admonishing them for not wanting to get vaccinated.

And some minority groups are staying away from the vaccine because of misunderstandings/language barriers. One of the local TV stations in Omaha did a story about this last week. Educating those folks and helping them to make the best decision for themselves needs to be a focus moving forward because they're going to be among some of the last groups of unvaccinated people.

• Plus1 1