Gut Check Poll - Will Husker go to a Bowl Game in 2021

Bowl Game?  

128 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

56 minutes ago, tmfr15 said:

It's hard to say right now. But we will know for sure four games into the schedule. If we are 3-1 after four, I think we get to six or seven. Anything less than that and we are in for another bowl-less Christmas.

agreed- any maybe part of the scheme of getting the extra home game at the expense of the OU game.

51 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

It's a sad question and I can't fault anyone who won't be convinced until it happens. But I have seen progress in a lot of areas, and I think we'll be surprisingly good this year. Would not be completely shocked if I'm wrong and it's more of the same, but I expect a bowl game.

There's also not a runaway leader in the West this year - if Frost can scrounge up any semblance of an offense it's anyone's game. But that's a complete homer take, I can admit that. 

I'll give you a couple of these :koolaid2::koolaid2:

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

I think Frost came into this job full of bravado but had no idea 1) how tough the Big Ten actually is, or 2) that he would have to be the one to change his philosophy to win in this league. I think he's retooled his roster twice in three years, dealt with a pandemic, and had to face being embarrassingly slapped around as a young coach in a conference of veteran teams. All of his recruiting cache is gone, he's doing nothing different than Pelini or Riley did, and his teams crumble in the face of adversity just like theirs.

I haven't seen a thing on the field to make me think this team should be expected to win more than two games - Buffalo and SE Louisiana. Every other game is a tossup or for sure loss, based on what it looks like we're going to have on the roster and how we've played recently. 

Nailed this on the head.  No way we get 6 wins.  Better ST play alone would get at least 2 wins, but Frost saw fit to do nothing in that dept....No WR with more than 13 catches, no returning RB with more than 4 carries, new OL starters, no back up QB (AM will miss at  least 2 games with injuries), a horizontal O that can't get the tough yards against quality opponents and a HC that doesn't think he is the issue.   The D is the only hope this team has in having any chance to get to 6. They will have to do something they havent done yet.  Score on D.  Win the TO battle every game.

Most importantly, Frost has  shown nothing in the 1st 3 years that shows me he can right the ship in year 4.

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, knapplc said:

I think Frost came into this job full of bravado but had no idea 1) how tough the Big Ten actually is, or 2) that he would have to be the one to change his philosophy to win in this league. I think he's retooled his roster twice in three years, dealt with a pandemic, and had to face being embarrassingly slapped around as a young coach in a conference of veteran teams. All of his recruiting cache is gone, he's doing nothing different than Pelini or Riley did, and his teams crumble in the face of adversity just like theirs.

I haven't seen a thing on the field to make me think this team should be expected to win more than two games - Buffalo and SE Louisiana. Every other game is a tossup or for sure loss, based on what it looks like we're going to have on the roster and how we've played recently. 

I don't think Frost has changed his philosophy.

He had half dozen NFL draft picks on his roster at UCF.  He's had to recruit those caliber players to Nebraska.

And I'm truly curious how he's "retooled" the roster twice in 3 years?  Frost would prefer that first year players redshirt.

Other than maybe Fidone, Frost will probably try to redshirt everyone.

• Haha 2

We’re f’n bowling this year for 5 reasons:

1. frosty goes Friday night lights style with jurgens and has been doing weird drills with him to improve his inexcusable snapping issues. Just like that drunk dad taping his sons hands in front of that smoke show and humiliating him.

2. We finally wake the f#&% up and realize having a 5’6 guy who isn’t a burner as our best player isn’t a great f#&%ing idea at either the running back or receiver position. While some question marks, I think stepp is exactly what we need particularly in the red zone

3. I’m really looking forward to this defense. Particularly if ty Robinson develops further and we actually have a dude to f#&%ing wreck some offenses along with all the returning vets and younger guys who are now ready.

4. our offense has to be more spread out more evenly now that we’re not forcing touches into one guy. While unproven, there’s potential weapons at wide out and we should 100% have 2 TE formations the majority of the time while on offense

5. this inept bull s#!t has to change at some point, right? While frosty should be at a better place record wise, he’s also due to win some of these close games that have not gone our way. 

here’s how I break it down:

Most likely Wins- (I think we go 5-1 out of this group) 

illinois

buffalo

Michigan state

Northwestern

purdue

so lou

toss ups (I think we go 2-2, 3-1 would be REAL NICE)

iowa

wisconsin

michigan

minnesota

Just keep it f#&%ing close going into half: (0-2.. if we go 1-1 we all are riding high)

osu

oklanoma 

realistically that’s 7-5... now of course I’m drunk on some kool aid like no other and not factoring in the game we no show- so even 6-6 we bowling babbyyyyy

• Plus1 6
  • Haha 1

I can see us with 6 wins minimum I really like Goss post. Honestly we are close to beating toss up games. So 6-10 wins is what I see... If our WR corp gets going I think we can turn a corner this year which would be a year sooner then I predicted. Then Next year with a ton of talent returning and a considerably easier schedule I think we win our division. 

Also our defense this year will keep us in a lot of games. And our offense really only needs to put 10 more points up a game and we have a winning season. We are closer then what it appears to be on paper. 

Our goal line offense was bad. Now without any proven r/b, or w/r will it get better this year ?. 2022 was the year I thought Frost would be taking control of the west, div. Now it looks like it will take longer then that, and I don't think Scott gets anymore time, if he doesn't get to a bowl game next year.

We might get 5 wins this year, but I don't see how they get to 6. Hope I'm wrong, really like Frost, see a lot of T O in him.

GBR!!!

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

here’s how I break it down:

Most likely Wins- (I think we go 5-1 out of this group) 

illinois

buffalo

Michigan state

Northwestern

purdue

so lou

toss ups (I think we go 2-2, 3-1 would be REAL NICE)

iowa

wisconsin

michigan

minnesota

Just keep it f#&%ing close going into half: (0-2.. if we go 1-1 we all are riding high)

osu

oklanoma 

realistically that’s 7-5... now of course I’m drunk on some kool aid like no other and not factoring in the game we no show- so even 6-6 we bowling babbyyyyy

This is how I got to 7 wins also.  I then think we go to a bowl with a very beatable opponent for win number 8.

But I also agree with the poster that says we will have a very good idea of what kind of season record the team is in for after the first 4 games.

2 hours ago, knapplc said:

I don't believe Frost will be removed based on this season. Moos & Ted Carter & Ronnie Green are smart enough to look at a schedule featuring Ohio State, Michigan, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Minnesota & Iowa and realize you don't judge a coach's future based on that. 

5 of the 6 teams are in the conference.  3 of them are in the West division.  Aren't those exactly the games you should be basing expectations off of?

I also don't think Frost gets fired after this year if he has another losing record.  I believe he'll get "at least" 5 years to show what he's trying to build.  If 2022 is rough again, I'll start expecting a change in coaches...

• Plus1 1