Gut Check Poll - Will Husker go to a Bowl Game in 2021

Bowl Game?  

128 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

4 hours ago, knapplc said:

I don't believe Frost will be removed based on this season. Moos & Ted Carter & Ronnie Green are smart enough to look at a schedule featuring Ohio State, Michigan, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Minnesota & Iowa and realize you don't judge a coach's future based on that. 

With all the money the athletic department lost due to covid and all that guaranteed money in frost contract Frost isn't going anywhere anytime soon. 

• Plus1 3
14 hours ago, gossamorharpy said:

We’re f’n bowling this year for 5 reasons:

1. frosty goes Friday night lights style with jurgens and has been doing weird drills with him to improve his inexcusable snapping issues. Just like that drunk dad taping his sons hands in front of that smoke show and humiliating him.

2. We finally wake the f#&% up and realize having a 5’6 guy who isn’t a burner as our best player isn’t a great f#&%ing idea at either the running back or receiver position. While some question marks, I think stepp is exactly what we need particularly in the red zone

3. I’m really looking forward to this defense. Particularly if ty Robinson develops further and we actually have a dude to f#&%ing wreck some offenses along with all the returning vets and younger guys who are now ready.

4. our offense has to be more spread out more evenly now that we’re not forcing touches into one guy. While unproven, there’s potential weapons at wide out and we should 100% have 2 TE formations the majority of the time while on offense

5. this inept bull s#!t has to change at some point, right? While frosty should be at a better place record wise, he’s also due to win some of these close games that have not gone our way. 

here’s how I break it down:

Most likely Wins- (I think we go 5-1 out of this group) 

illinois

buffalo

Michigan state

Northwestern

purdue

so lou

toss ups (I think we go 2-2, 3-1 would be REAL NICE)

iowa

wisconsin

michigan

minnesota

Just keep it f#&%ing close going into half: (0-2.. if we go 1-1 we all are riding high)

osu

oklanoma 

realistically that’s 7-5... now of course I’m drunk on some kool aid like no other and not factoring in the game we no show- so even 6-6 we bowling babbyyyyy

I like this breakdown and pretty much agree with it but, if this team has not/does not improve from the last few seasons (which they really haven't yet in terms of game success), they could easily go 4-2 in that 1st group and 1-3 or 0-4 in the 2nd group. So only 4 or 5 wins could happen without stretching the imagination at all. They truly need to show some improvements this year or they will not reach 6 wins.

Based on opponents it should be 7-9 wins but that would require our team, players and coach to get out of their own way..... an ability they have not exhibited....yet.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, knapplc said:

I don't believe Frost will be removed based on this season. Moos & Ted Carter & Ronnie Green are smart enough to look at a schedule featuring Ohio State, Michigan, Oklahoma, Wisconsin, Minnesota & Iowa and realize you don't judge a coach's future based on that. 

While I agree that Frost will not be removed based on this season, I do have a bit of a problem with the bolded listed teams.  Michigan just came off of a 2-4 year in 2020.  It was speculated Harbaugh could be replaced as coach.  They did fire their defensive coordinator.  They are nowhere to be found in the preseason top 25.  Wisconsin did finish the 2020 year 4-3.  They also lost to every team they played that was ranked in the top 25.  Wisconsin's biggest problem in 2020 was the inability to score.  While they are a preseason top 25 pick, where exactly is their offense going to come from?  Minnesota finished 2020 at 3-4.  They only played one ranked team all year.  They are nowhere to be found in the preseason top 25.  Iowa might be the one outlier of the bolded teams, but are they really?  While they did finish the 2020 season at 6-2, they didn't play a singe team ranked in the top 25.  They are a preseason top 25 team heading into 2021, but there might be a tad bit much emphasis placed on how they did in 2020 when they played exactly no one.  

We have two elite teams on the 2021 schedule.  We might very well lose to every single bolded team on the list.  However, let's not make the bolded teams out to be World Beaters.  We may never get back to the status of an Ohio State or an OU.  It should be more than expected to get to the level of the bolded teams.   

• Plus1 1

2 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

While I agree that Frost will not be removed based on this season, I do have a bit of a problem with the bolded listed teams.  Michigan just came off of a 2-4 year in 2020.  It was speculated Harbaugh could be replaced as coach.  They did fire their defensive coordinator.  They are nowhere to be found in the preseason top 25.  Wisconsin did finish the 2020 year 4-3.  They also lost to every team they played that was ranked in the top 25.  Wisconsin's biggest problem in 2020 was the inability to score.  While they are a preseason top 25 pick, where exactly is their offense going to come from?  Minnesota finished 2020 at 3-4.  They only played one ranked team all year.  They are nowhere to be found in the preseason top 25.  Iowa might be the one outlier of the bolded teams, but are they really?  While they did finish the 2020 season at 6-2, they didn't play a singe team ranked in the top 25.  They are a preseason top 25 team heading into 2021, but there might be a tad bit much emphasis placed on how they did in 2020 when they played exactly no one.  

We have two elite teams on the 2021 schedule.  We might very well lose to every single bolded team on the list.  However, let's not make the bolded teams out to be World Beaters.  We may never get back to the status of an Ohio State or an OU.  It should be more than expected to get to the level of the bolded teams.   

The combination of those bolded teams in a season where you already have Oklahoma, Ohio State and Michigan (depending how good Michigan is) makes this a tough schedule.

• Plus1 1

I went with no, but I'm not totally down on the team. It's no secret that our offense and its skill positions remain a work in progress.  Our good draft isn't likely to pay dividends this year, and the rest of the young talent is still emerging. I can't even name my favorite running back. A killer defense can make up for a lot, but that's still a big step. They're going to be improved, but not killer. I'm betting we let a winnable game slip away, and maybe score a solid upset, but it's still going to be hard pencilling in six wins on that brutal schedule.

So I guess I'm watching for the solid signs of improvement that make us a lock for a more than marginal bowl game in 2022.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
25 minutes ago, knapplc said:

The combination of those bolded teams in a season where you already have Oklahoma, Ohio State and Michigan (depending how good Michigan is) makes this a tough schedule.

Nebraska will always have Minnesota, Iowa, and Wisconsin.  Eventually Frost will need to beat them whether he plays OSU and Oklahoma, or not.

• Plus1 1

Yes. The defense showed it can be solid to good last year, and I think our offense isn't as far away from being a good unit as the common sentiment seems to be.  I think we are very capable of playing at a Top 20ish caliber next year. That being said, we could be a Top-20 caliber team and still go 7-5 against our schedule because it's brutal.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I went with no, but I'm not totally down on the team. It's no secret that our offense and its skill positions remain a work in progress.  Our good draft isn't likely to pay dividends this year, and the rest of the young talent is still emerging. I can't even name my favorite running back. A killer defense can make up for a lot, but that's still a big step. They're going to be improved, but not killer. I'm betting we let a winnable game slip away, and maybe score a solid upset, but it's still going to be hard pencilling in six wins on that brutal schedule.

So I guess I'm watching for the solid signs of improvement that make us a lock for a more than marginal bowl game in 2022.

Our D kept us in games last year and won one.  To get over the hump, we need to have the D step it up and ST actually show up.  The bolded is what kills me. Without looking at a roster, a lot of folks would be hard pressed to even name a RB on the team this year.  And one you might name has 4 or less carries and another just transferred in from USC.  This is Nebraska.  Until we get a solid stable of backs that people know and have little to no drop off, this O (or any) will struggle.  If the D can be as formidable as it "could" be, it'll go along way to getting us bowling.  I still stick by my original thought that we won't go bowling.  I don't think our O (at least this year) will be good enough to get the W's, despite good to (at times) great D.