Gut Check Poll - Will Husker go to a Bowl Game in 2021

Bowl Game?  

128 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

People need to understand that we can be a very good, top 25-caliber team this year and still go 7-5 against our schedule. OSU and OU are projected to be top-5 teams, Wisconsin and Iowa are projected to be top-15 teams, and Michigan and Minnesota are projected as top-35ish teams.

If we're, say, the 22nd best team in the country, I think most reasonable Husker fans would be pretty happy with that given the way things have gone the last five years. But if we're 22nd that still means two games we're going be favored to lose comfortably, and four more that are essentially toss-ups. I think real progress would be looking competitive against the OSU/OU tier and splitting the Iowa/Wisconsin/Michigan/Minnesota tier, but that would still be four losses, let alone if you drop a game you're supposed to win.

17 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

People need to understand that we can be a very good, top 25-caliber team this year and still go 7-5 against our schedule. OSU and OU are projected to be top-5 teams, Wisconsin and Iowa are projected to be top-15 teams, and Michigan and Minnesota are projected as top-35ish teams.

If we're, say, the 22nd best team in the country, I think most reasonable Husker fans would be pretty happy with that given the way things have gone the last five years. But if we're 22nd that still means two games we're going be favored to lose comfortably, and four more that are essentially toss-ups. I think real progress would be looking competitive against the OSU/OU tier and splitting the Iowa/Wisconsin/Michigan/Minnesota tier, but that would still be four losses, let alone if you drop a game you're supposed to win.

Sad thing is, is how rankings work.  If we go 7-5 losing to the #1, #3, #10, #15 and #30 teams in the country, we won't be ranked 22nd.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sad thing is, is how rankings work.  If we go 7-5 losing to the #1, #3, #10, #15 and #30 teams in the country, we won't be ranked 22nd.

Unless we were in the SEC, then we would be ranked #16 because we are only right behind #15.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
  • Oh Yeah! 1
On 5/15/2021 at 1:44 PM, ZRod said:

I think there's at least 3 wins in there and maybe even an upset if the football gods are done punishing us.

I think we will flip the script with Illinois and NW this year.  I am not impressed with Michigan.  Huskers might even have a chip for redemption, after the last meeting with them.  It's good to get them at home.

Minnesota will be good this year.  They looked the part in spring.  It's a road game.  Whoever has momentum will have the edge.

And we need to flip the script with Iowa and/or Wisconsin eventually.  That's going to be tough, but not exactly impossible. 

4 hours ago, admo said:

And we need to flip the script with Iowa and/or Wisconsin eventually.  That's going to be tough, but not exactly impossible.

For all the bellyaching about Iowa, Frost's three losses to them have been by a combined total of 12 points. That's like... flip any one little detail of those games to go our way, and we win. Not remotely impossible, and a monkey we need to get off our back ASAP.

• Plus1 5
30 minutes ago, Toe said:

For all the bellyaching about Iowa, Frost's three losses to them have been by a combined total of 12 points. That's like... flip any one little detail of those games to go our way, and we win. Not remotely impossible, and a monkey we need to get off our back ASAP.

200.gif

I voted no, for 3 main reasons:

1. Martinez has not proven that he can stay healthy, and if he goes down again, we don't have a legit backup.

2. I'm still not sold on Chinander, and I think there will be some defensive disappointments.

3. We've played sloppy, undisciplined, uninspired football for the past several years and I've seen nothing to make me think that's going to change.

26 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

1. Martinez has not proven that he can stay healthy, and if he goes down again, we don't have a legit backup.

2. I'm still not sold on Chinander, and I think there will be some defensive disappointments.

3. We've played sloppy, undisciplined, uninspired football for the past several years and I've seen nothing to make me think that's going to change.

1. Cheap ankle gab hurt him fresh year, the fact we had Less talent around him and had to run him factored in too. 

2.  Chins has improved every year statistically and with the eye ball test. Players like him and he is multiple and gives other teams problems in game planning. 

3. Yep. Fix that and we will be good. Don’t turn the ball over and be better in special teams and we can beee at t everyone on our roster save tosu and ou. 

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Toe said:

You are certainly welcome to think that way. 

So you think Iowa is saying  "If we flipped one little detail in those games against Nebraska, we would have lost!. Wheww! They are getting so close!"

Nope.  Because They won 3 straight against this staff, and 6 straight in the series. 

And that is why I said we need to flip the script.

• Plus1 2

@admo Did Ron Kellogg sit there thinking "If I hadn't completed that Hail Mary, we would've lost to Northwestern!"? Of course not, but what the winner is thinking doesn't make a bit of difference in whether it's true or not.

11 hours ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Geeze, improvements each year on his side and people still doubting him...

• Plus1 2