Gut Check Poll - Will Husker go to a Bowl Game in 2021

Bowl Game?  

128 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If I was really really optimistic and a big :koolaid2: drinker I would have added Jan 2022 to the thread title - the bowl games that really matter.   But I'm not because.... well we know recent history. 

So prior to spring football, I want to get your take - your level of optimism on Husker finally getting back to a bowl game.

My take is:  I believe we will make it to a bowl game.... just barely with 6 wins and outside shot at 7.... if the offense improves (and Special Teams) and becomes more consistent.  I think the D will do their part.

I still see 2022 as our 'coming out' year.  If it doesn't happen then it won't happen under HC Frost in my opinion.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

No. Young team, rugged schedule, and we lost two of our best playmakers from last year's team. Unclear running back situation, no proven WR... 

3 minutes ago, HuskerInLostWages said:

I went with no.  As Knap points out above and our rumbling bumbling offense the last 2 seasons haven't really given me much hope.  I do hope I am wrong and will be happy to be wrong.

I surely understand this position.  Fool me once shame on you, fool me 2x shame on me.  The :koolaid2: drinking has long been set aside for a cold reality slap in the face.   That is why I said 'barely'.  I got to think, that HCSF has taken enough heat to make sure we don't repeat the 'rumbling bumbling' of the past 2 years.  But even if his intent is to fix things and if he has the knowledge to do so, we still have the issues that Knapp brings up - those are facts that we have to deal with.   Moos's job is also on the line if things don't improve.   I think if Scott doesn't get to a bowl this year, his seat goes from warm to extremely hot.  He will probably still get a 2022 season (partially to save Moos's job) but I would think he'd be on a very short leash.   Scott does need to pull the rabbit out of the hat this year - somehow. 

• Plus1 2
7 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I surely understand this position.  Fool me once shame on you, fool me 2x shame on me.  The :koolaid2: drinking has long been set aside for a cold reality slap in the face.   That is why I said 'barely'.  I got to think, that HCSF has taken enough heat to make sure we don't repeat the 'rumbling bumbling' of the past 2 years.  But even if his intent is to fix things and if he has the knowledge to do so, we still have the issues that Knapp brings up - those are facts that we have to deal with.   Moos's job is also on the line if things don't improve.   I think if Scott doesn't get to a bowl this year, his seat goes from warm to extremely hot.  He will probably still get a 2022 season (partially to save Moos's job) but I would think he'd be on a very short leash.   Scott does need to pull the rabbit out of the hat this year - somehow. 

I should have gone with rumbling bumbling and lots of fumbling, but i kept it short and sweet.

• Haha 1
4 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I think Frost came into this job full of bravado but had no idea 1) how tough the Big Ten actually is, or 2) that he would have to be the one to change his philosophy to win in this league. I think he's retooled his roster twice in three years, dealt with a pandemic, and had to face being embarrassingly slapped around as a young coach in a conference of veteran teams. All of his recruiting cache is gone, he's doing nothing different than Pelini or Riley did, and his teams crumble in the face of adversity just like theirs.

I haven't seen a thing on the field to make me think this team should be expected to win more than two games - Buffalo and SE Louisiana. Every other game is a tossup or for sure loss, based on what it looks like we're going to have on the roster and how we've played recently. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

I voted yes.  Mainly to make myself feel better about renewing our tickets.  It will be nice to visit Memorial again, but if I’m witnessing 5 B1G losses, it may just be too much to swallow come next renewal cycle. I truly believe the Sellout Streak is in serious jeopardy in 2022 if we don’t go bowling in 2021.  

It's a sad question and I can't fault anyone who won't be convinced until it happens. But I have seen progress in a lot of areas, and I think we'll be surprisingly good this year. Would not be completely shocked if I'm wrong and it's more of the same, but I expect a bowl game.

There's also not a runaway leader in the West this year - if Frost can scrounge up any semblance of an offense it's anyone's game. But that's a complete homer take, I can admit that. 

• Plus1 1

I voted no. I think the defense will be good but not elite enough to carry this team to a bowl game. I just dont see where the offense is supposed to come from, there's not really a proven play maker on offense that take over a game. The farther we get from martinez freshman year the more obvious it is that had more to do with morgan, speilman and ozigbo than him. 4 or 5 wins with 2 or 3 frustrating losses.