Thunderin' Bolts @ Illinois

How will Nebraska fare?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. How will Nebraska do against Illinois?

• 3-0
    • 2-1
    • 1-2
    • 0-3

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/02/2021 at 09:00 PM

6 minutes ago, hskrfan4life said:

Our coaches are really on the ball.  i don't know who's call it is (assuming the 3rd base coach), but whoever picked up that their catcher and pitcher were lackadaisical in returning the ball after each pitch is on top of it.  while i'm no baseball strategist, it would seem that every time we do something like this in the late innings of close games the other team makes mistakes, can't get in to a rhythm, and really gets into their heads.  Our coaches are playing chess while all others are playing checkers.

7 hours ago, hskrfan4life said:

Nebraska hit 9 homeruns this series

Illinois hit 4 homeruns this series

when i saw the above stat it made me think of the 2015 season where we had hardly any homeruns.  i went back and looked at the stats and in 2015 we only had a total of 25 homeruns over a 57 game season.  we already have 29 over the first 17 games this year.

• Plus1 2

I'm ecstatic about the bats coming alive under Bolt this season--there's not a game I don't feel we won't be in now because Bolt has them trained well at the plate. 

Fielding has been on-point, but that really hasn't been an issue for a long time now, has it?

Our pitching though...I don't see how we can hope to compete in the NCAA Tourney with our pitching the way it is. Sorry to be "that guy", but we're seeing our pitching take some serious knocks against inferior opponents--we just happen to be outslugging the competition, which is great...until we get into a slump. 

We'll see how things look against the Top talent in the B1G (read: Indiana, Michigan) later this season...but if our pitching doesn't improve, we seriously need to look at getting a legitimate Pitching coach on board next season. 

1 hour ago, VectorVictor said:

I'm ecstatic about the bats coming alive under Bolt this season--there's not a game I don't feel we won't be in now because Bolt has them trained well at the plate. 

Fielding has been on-point, but that really hasn't been an issue for a long time now, has it?

Our pitching though...I don't see how we can hope to compete in the NCAA Tourney with our pitching the way it is. Sorry to be "that guy", but we're seeing our pitching take some serious knocks against inferior opponents--we just happen to be outslugging the competition, which is great...until we get into a slump. 

We'll see how things look against the Top talent in the B1G (read: Indiana, Michigan) later this season...but if our pitching doesn't improve, we seriously need to look at getting a legitimate Pitching coach on board next season. 

Yeah... NO!!

Illinois is the top hitting team in the B1G. Is one of the 3 projected teams to play in post season. (Illinois, Michigan, Indiana) Also, the B1G is always an understated conference. Proof is in recent CWS participation. Indiana & Michigan both have carried the B1G flag well. This conference is much better and much deeper than you're admitting. Things are working and you're ready to break it up.. I'd rather think positive and say.. these bats will most certainly entice better pitching prospects.

42 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Yeah... NO!!

Illinois is the top hitting team in the B1G. Is one of the 3 projected teams to play in post season. (Illinois, Michigan, Indiana) Also, the B1G is always an understated conference. Proof is in recent CWS participation. Indiana & Michigan both have carried the B1G flag well. This conference is much better and much deeper than you're admitting. Things are working and you're ready to break it up.. I'd rather think positive and say.. these bats will most certainly entice better pitching prospects.

LOL, no. I'm only talking about replacing the Pitching Coach with...get this...a coach that's actually pitched collegiately. :dunno

Yes Illinois is one of the best hitting teams in the B1G. But they're also 11th out of 13 teams in Pitching, which is why we were able to come back. What happens to our bats when we face a team that has, say, competent pitching? Not even lights out pitching, but *JUST* competent?  You can't always depend on double digit run totals to cover your pitching inadequacies. 

As for tournament picture, that was pre-season. They're nowhere to be found in the current group of 64...while Michigan and Indiana still are, along with us.

@VectorVictor- You're post regardless is destructive. You're stating the teams success is not enough. That's destructive and not constructive. As for the last sentence of the post above. I noticed you left out tOSU which just swept Indiana (a team you included). Did you forget that we split out contests with tOSU in Minny? Good isn't good enough for some. For me, I'll take Good and trust in the the system to get better rather than seeing the grass on the other side.

1 hour ago, VectorVictor said:

LOL, no. I'm only talking about replacing the Pitching Coach with...get this...a coach that's actually pitched collegiately. :dunno

Yes Illinois is one of the best hitting teams in the B1G. But they're also 11th out of 13 teams in Pitching, which is why we were able to come back. What happens to our bats when we face a team that has, say, competent pitching? Not even lights out pitching, but *JUST* competent?  You can't always depend on double digit run totals to cover your pitching inadequacies. 

As for tournament picture, that was pre-season. They're nowhere to be found in the current group of 64...while Michigan and Indiana still are, along with us.

There are lots of pitching coaches who are catchers.  Our problem as of later is continually getting behind on the count and batters sitting on the fast ball.  Other than this we did well against Illinois.  They are a good hitting team and the wind was blowing out. 

• Plus1 2