With Alvarez retiring, it opens up a chance for Nebraska to move up in the Big Ten West

49 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

I agree with his retiring having a major impact on Wisconsin.  However, I'm not sure I follow the logic in having a major impact on the B1G.  I realize he threw his weight around bending things in Wisconsin's favor with the B1G brass, but at the end of the day it probably didn't have much of an impact on most of the B1G especially the Ohio State's and such.      

Scheduling influence being the biggest pain in the a$$. he was the head person of scheduling for football within the conference and always made sure they didn't have as tough of a schedule as other Big Ten West teams and would always make sure Nebraska had a tough schedule. Who do you think pitted Nebraska against Ohio State right off the bat? lol. 

Besides the change over the course of time for offensive philosophy for WI (and it will happen), is the scheduling aspect of things. 

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, uberism said:

Scheduling influence being the biggest pain in the a$$. he was the head person of scheduling for football within the conference and always made sure they didn't have as tough of a schedule as other Big Ten West teams and would always make sure Nebraska had a tough schedule. Who do you think pitted Nebraska against Ohio State right off the bat? lol. 

Besides the change over the course of time for offensive philosophy for WI (and it will happen), is the scheduling aspect of things. 

No wonder he wants to retire. He is running a D1 football team from the shadows (coaching, film room, and recruiting), the AD for a major university, and basically runs the B1G in everything football. ;) I don't think you are giving this guy enough credit. 

• Plus1 1
30 minutes ago, uberism said:

I understand where you are coming from with regards to his retirement affecting Wisconsin and Nebraska.  However, there's a lot more to the B1G than Nebraska and Wisconsin.  I'm just not getting how his retirement has much affect on the B1G in general.  

1 hour ago, junior4949 said:

At Nebraska, that type of consistency gets you fired.

Well I think BP problems were more the way he dealt with everything else vs. his record on the field.  BP would still be here winning 9-10 games a year if he wasn't such a d!(k. 

Solich and Steve Peterson never got along when they were underlings. They were not going to work well together. 

The take that Wisconsin is worse off with Alvarez retiring is getting way more hate than it deserves.  It's long been rumored that he has much more control than usual for an AD. It was speculated that after having great seasons with the badgers, Bret Bielema and Gary Andersen left so that they could have full control over the team that they ran without an AD forcing his system on them.  Here are the stats for the last three head coaches:

Paul Chryst

HC at Wisconsin: 56-19

HC at other teams: 19-19

Bret Bielema

HC at Wisconsin: 68-24

HC at other teams: 29-34

Gary Andersen

HC at Wisconsin: 19-7

HC at other teams: 44-63

All of these coaches were at their best at Wisconsin under Alvarez. It's not like they did slightly better either, they all did dramatically better.  I don't think Chryst immediately reverts back to being a .500 coach like at Pittsburg, but yeah I do think the program is worse off without the presence of Alvarez. 

What does that mean for Nebraska? For the time being, nothing. Wisconsin is not the only team in the West we can't beat and the ones we can, we can't beat consistently.  But for the long term - that's up to Nebraska to decide.

• Plus1 5

Alvarez is still so in tune with the football team that as recently as 7 and 9 years ago he named himself interim coach for bowl games during vacancies. I don't know of any other A.D.'s that have/ would do that. I would hate to work under a boss that routinely thought they could do my job better than I did. What a micromanaging nightmare.

1971–1973 Lincoln NE HS (NE) (assistant)
1974–1975 Lexington HS (NE)
1976–1978 Mason City HS (IA)
1979–1986 Iowa (LB)
1987 Notre Dame (LB)
1988–1989 Notre Dame (DC)
1990–2005 Wisconsin
2012 Wisconsin (interim HC)
2014 Wisconsin (interim HC)
  • Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
18 hours ago, NUinID said:

Well I think BP problems were more the way he dealt with everything else vs. his record on the field.  BP would still be here winning 9-10 games a year if he wasn't such a d!(k. 

Solich and Steve Peterson never got along when they were underlings. They were not going to work well together. 

If BP would have won some games that mattered and not got blown out at times, he would still be here regardless of being such a 

d!(k.  

I have no idea if Solich and Pud got along as underlings.  If what you say is correct, it explains a lot with regards to Nebraska football the last couple of decades.  Solich became head coach because of TO.  Pud was hired as AD because he came highly recommended by TO.  Do you honestly believe TO would have recommended Pud as AD if he didn't get along with Solich?

20 hours ago, uberism said:

Qberism

alvarez isn’t retiring at all. He is a reptilian overlord and will be transitioning into a different (but similar) skin bag. He tried to do this last year but they put his organs in backwards. 
Wisconsin will continue to dominate the shadow “west” conference. 

• Haha 1
9 minutes ago, junior4949 said:

If BP would have won some games that mattered and not got blown out at times, he would still be here regardless of being such a 

d!(k.  

I have no idea if Solich and Pud got along as underlings.  If what you say is correct, it explains a lot with regards to Nebraska football the last couple of decades.  Solich became head coach because of TO.  Pud was hired as AD because he came highly recommended by TO.  Do you honestly believe TO would have recommended Pud as AD if he didn't get along with Solich?

I'm pretty sure Perlman would have done anything to get rid of Bo regardless. Harvey had an ego that required him to be the face of the University, which was a detriment to the program and University for 20 years.

As for Pederson, Tom likely had blinders on in regards to his staff and admins. As I recall he wanted to keep continuity and likely assumed the program would carry on as if nothing changed. Sadly, he was incorrect on that and was totally blindsided by Perlman & Pederson firing Frank which left him with sour feelings towards the University until he was brought in as AD in 2007... when Harvey needed a bailout. 

4 hours ago, pubes said:

Qberism

alvarez isn’t retiring at all. He is a reptilian overlord and will be transitioning into a different (but similar) skin bag. He tried to do this last year but they put his organs in backwards. 
Wisconsin will continue to dominate the shadow “west” conference. 

You user name is so fitting

22 hours ago, junior4949 said:

d!(k.  

Sure if BP would have won more games there is no way he would have been fired.  You only get to act like an a$$ if you are winning a lot.  Nick Sabin and Bill Bellichek get to act like jerks because they win a lot.  Bobby Knight only lasted so long at Indiana because he was winning a lot.  When he wasn't winning a lot he was more trouble than he was worth. 

I doubt very much TO knew how much Steve Pederson was despised in the AD office before he became the AD.  My oldest brother knows 1 of the former assistant AD's that quit as soon as SP got the job, because he wouldn't work for the man.  This is a guy that had worked at Nebraska for 25 years. 

21 hours ago, VectorVictor said:

Folks seem to forget that Barry Alvarez was Nebraska’s biggest champion in B1G politics. With him gone, I fully expect Nebraska to get more of the wrong end of B1G politics until we start putting a good team on the football field. 

In what regard? Barry did Nebraska no favors in Big Ten politics or scheduling. Sure he vouched for us to enter the conference a decade ago, but I don't recall anything in our favor since that point.