With Alvarez retiring, it opens up a chance for Nebraska to move up in the Big Ten West

I watched him speak about his retirement. he admitted he took what Nebraska was doing and put it in Wisconsin. That is the biggest reason the post Barry era at Wisconsin will eventually fade downward since his influence will continue to fade as every year passes. Doesn't matter if Paul Chryst coaches for another 10 years, he will have to coach and lead that program without Barry around now and he is no Barry and no Bret B. 

• Plus1 1

In my opinion, Wisconsin's future athletic success depends on the school's president and who she hires. And if I am a Wisconsin fan  I'd be worried.  I just feel that UW-Madison's leaders just don't get it.  Either a "sports guy (person)" or an administrator.  If Wisconsin mirrors the history  at Nebraska in that the AD's ego is more important than the programs they will see a decline.

• Plus1 2
On 3/30/2021 at 1:10 PM, uberism said:

Scheduling influence being the biggest pain in the a$$. he was the head person of scheduling for football within the conference and always made sure they didn't have as tough of a schedule as other Big Ten West teams and would always make sure Nebraska had a tough schedule. Who do you think pitted Nebraska against Ohio State right off the bat? lol. 

Besides the change over the course of time for offensive philosophy for WI (and it will happen), is the scheduling aspect of things. 

Seriously?  How was that conflict of interest allowed?

FYI Notre Dame's last national title hinged on DC Barry Alvarez culminating in Miami's final 2PC attempt. 

Our offense was good enough for another national title from 90-93.  Many Irish fans think the drop off in defense kept Lou from a 2nd undisputed natty. 

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/uw/2021/04/06/barry-alvarez-gave-all-time-quote-upon-his-arrival-wisconsin/7051074002/

• Notre Dame ranked third in the nation in scoring defense and had gone 31-4 over the previous three seasons. The Irish finished with just one loss in 1989, but it came to Miami — also with one loss — and the Hurricanes were awarded the national title in the Associated Press poll even though the Irish defeated Colorado in the Orange Bowl. Notre Dame coach Lou Holtz, who won the 1988 national title with Alvarez on staff, wasn't happy.
  • Holtz told his players at the team hotel in Miami before the Orange Bowl that Alvarez would be leaving, and players gave Alvarez a standing ovation.

•  
  • Plus1 1
2 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Seriously?  How was that conflict of interest allowed?

FYI Notre Dame's last national title hinged on DC Barry Alvarez culminating in Miami's final 2PC attempt. 

Our offense was good enough for another national title from 90-93.  Many Irish fans think the drop off in defense kept Lou from a 2nd undisputed natty. 

https://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/college/uw/2021/04/06/barry-alvarez-gave-all-time-quote-upon-his-arrival-wisconsin/7051074002/

•  

Scheduling committee and he was the head of it.