Jump to content

With Alvarez retiring, it opens up a chance for Nebraska to move up in the Big Ten West


Recommended Posts

or any other school in the division. Northwestern has won the division 2 out of the last 3 seasons so they are already at the top. WI is below them. Now, Barry, as some may or may not know, has had his hands on the football program at WI even as an AD. He was always active in watching practices (literally), film study, talking to recruits when they were on campus, and make sure the schemes he used would never change. Stability for 31 years. 

 

It might be hard for some to not understand that and think the football program has continued to win after three coaching changes, but the real truth is that the "head coaching position" has always been Barry for the last 31 years. 

 

With his influence leaving, it means that Wisconsin will no longer have a person in charge that be able to override anything the head coach is doing. Thus, the head coach will be able to pass more, use more spread, etc, and be allowed to do it. 


Over the last 2 seasons Wisconsin has been passing the ball more and last season they really struggled on offense, one of the worst scoring offenses in the country.  You can expect that trend to continue. 

 

The opportunity is there for Frost to take advantage of that influence at WI being gone now and be able to start to beat WI. I don't expect WI to fall to the wayside immediately, but it will happen more and more each year that Barry's influence is gone. I've seen so many programs not be able to replace a legend and it always turns out the same way. OU, AL, FSU, NE, USCw, etc, etc. 

 

I know some in the media say they aren't going to be impacted by this, but that is them showing that they don't actually understand how much Barry had his hands in with that football program the entire 31 years. 

 

WI will fade over the years and another Big Ten West team will rise. 

  • Plus1 2
  • Haha 3
Link to post

  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If Nebraska fans are banking on success because Alvarez is retiring, I think they are going to be greatly disappointed. 

Make a better point then? Change at the AD position can be good or bad, sure, but I think you are giving Alverez too much credit as it relates to the current football team. 

It's not Nebraska fans, it's just that guy.

Posted Images

8 hours ago, uberism said:

or any other school in the division. Northwestern has won the division 2 out of the last 3 seasons so they are already at the top. WI is below them. Now, Barry, as some may or may not know, has had his hands on the football program at WI even as an AD. He was always active in watching practices (literally), film study, talking to recruits when they were on campus, and make sure the schemes he used would never change. Stability for 31 years. 

 

It might be hard for some to not understand that and think the football program has continued to win after three coaching changes, but the real truth is that the "head coaching position" has always been Barry for the last 31 years. 

 

With his influence leaving, it means that Wisconsin will no longer have a person in charge that be able to override anything the head coach is doing. Thus, the head coach will be able to pass more, use more spread, etc, and be allowed to do it. 


Over the last 2 seasons Wisconsin has been passing the ball more and last season they really struggled on offense, one of the worst scoring offenses in the country.  You can expect that trend to continue. 

 

The opportunity is there for Frost to take advantage of that influence at WI being gone now and be able to start to beat WI. I don't expect WI to fall to the wayside immediately, but it will happen more and more each year that Barry's influence is gone. I've seen so many programs not be able to replace a legend and it always turns out the same way. OU, AL, FSU, NE, USCw, etc, etc. 

 

I know some in the media say they aren't going to be impacted by this, but that is them showing that they don't actually understand how much Barry had his hands in with that football program the entire 31 years. 

 

WI will fade over the years and another Big Ten West team will rise. 

Barry should have don his Alma mater a favor and retired 4 yrs ago.  Would have helped Frost out. :)

  • Plus1 2
Link to post
11 minutes ago, jaws said:

If Nebraska fans are banking on success because Alvarez is retiring, I think they are going to be greatly disappointed. 

 

You are 100% missing the point. 

  • Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post

26 minutes ago, uberism said:

 

You are 100% missing the point. 

 

Make a better point then? Change at the AD position can be good or bad, sure, but I think you are giving Alverez too much credit as it relates to the current football team. 

  • Plus1 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
28 minutes ago, jaws said:

 

Make a better point then? Change at the AD position can be good or bad, sure, but I think you are giving Alverez too much credit as it relates to the current football team. 

 

You are illustrating exactly what I described about the media - those who will not have the proper grasp of how much influence he had on the football team even as AD. As stated, he would literally attended practices and gives feedback (he did this with every coach after he went to the AD office), literally has been visiting with recruits since becoming AD when they visit campus, literally has had a hand in film reviews and making sure certain schemes are ran, and much more. 

 

Barry retiring is a much bigger impact in the Big Ten than most will realize, including you. 

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post

It does way more to explain Gary Anderson than him being incorrect. I only figured out after Gary had flamed out at Oregon State and Paul Chryst kept the same flavor of success and style for the third time in a row. Also, why would your AD take over for a bowl game after a coach was in charge for 7 years like he did for Brett Bielema? After seeing the culmination of all of this that when coaches leave Wisconsin, they do worse, and Wisconsin never changed through all those coaching changes. 

 

  • Plus1 2
Link to post

Ever notice how fans always give the QB too much credit for winning, and too much blame for losing?  He's only one cog in the machine!  

 

That's what this conversation reminds me of.  

  • Plus1 4
Link to post
15 minutes ago, deedsker said:

It does way more to explain Gary Anderson than him being incorrect. I only figured out after Gary had flamed out at Oregon State and Paul Chryst kept the same flavor of success and style for the third time in a row. Also, why would your AD take over for a bowl game after a coach was in charge for 7 years like he did for Brett Bielema? After seeing the culmination of all of this that when coaches leave Wisconsin, they do worse, and Wisconsin never changed through all those coaching changes. 

 

 

So he is bad at hiring coaches (Anderson and Bert) and the expectations aren't much since they haven't won a B1G championship since 2012 (with an 8-6, 4-4 record). 

Link to post
3 minutes ago, jaws said:

So he is bad at hiring coaches (Anderson and Bert) and the expectations aren't much since they haven't won a B1G championship since 2012 (with an 8-6, 4-4 record). 

 

What? There was no Big Ten Championship in 2012. They skipped that game and everyone went straight to the bowl games.

 

I'm pretty sure that's what happened. Don't go looking it up or anything. 

  • Haha 5
Link to post
7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

 

What? There was no Big Ten Championship in 2012. They skipped that game and everyone went straight to the bowl games.

 

I'm pretty sure that's what happened. Don't go looking it up or anything. 

 

I should have put an asterisk by that year. We can say it never happened. Thinking about that, I bet Wisconsin doesn't win any of those B1G championships if Tatgate didn't happen at OSU. I guess they do have that 99 championship. 

  • Plus1 1
Link to post
1 hour ago, deedsker said:

It does way more to explain Gary Anderson than him being incorrect. I only figured out after Gary had flamed out at Oregon State and Paul Chryst kept the same flavor of success and style for the third time in a row. Also, why would your AD take over for a bowl game after a coach was in charge for 7 years like he did for Brett Bielema? After seeing the culmination of all of this that when coaches leave Wisconsin, they do worse, and Wisconsin never changed through all those coaching changes. 

 

 

1 hour ago, jaws said:

 

So he is bad at hiring coaches (Anderson and Bert) and the expectations aren't much since they haven't won a B1G championship since 2012 (with an 8-6, 4-4 record). 

 

Jaws - no. I think it speaks to the system Alvarez installed, kept in place, and continued to hire to as the AD.  As deedsker points out, the coaches may have changed but the system and process for the program stayed the same. 

  • Plus1 1
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.






×
×
  • Create New...