Jump to content

With Alvarez retiring, it opens up a chance for Nebraska to move up in the Big Ten West


Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, jaws said:

 

I should have put an asterisk by that year. We can say it never happened. Thinking about that, I bet Wisconsin doesn't win any of those B1G championships if Tatgate didn't happen at OSU. I guess they do have that 99 championship. 

Agree. It took not one but 2 teams to be ineligible for them to play in Indy that season. Granted it wasn't their fault but its not a coincidence they've been unable to win it approaching a decade. 

 

As for life after BA, they may change marginally but they absolutely cannot make wholesale deviations from the same formula they've used since he took over. Its what makes them unique. The moment they change too much they become more like everyone else, which changes their recruiting approach and their style of play that keeps them from being bad(Also keeps them from being dynamic).

Link to post

  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If Nebraska fans are banking on success because Alvarez is retiring, I think they are going to be greatly disappointed. 

Make a better point then? Change at the AD position can be good or bad, sure, but I think you are giving Alverez too much credit as it relates to the current football team. 

It's not Nebraska fans, it's just that guy.

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, Treand3 said:

Agree. It took not one but 2 teams to be ineligible for them to play in Indy that season. Granted it wasn't their fault but its not a coincidence they've been unable to win it approaching a decade. 

 

As for life after BA, they may change marginally but they absolutely cannot make wholesale deviations from the same formula they've used since he took over. Its what makes them unique. The moment they change too much they become more like everyone else, which changes their recruiting approach and their style of play that keeps them from being bad(Also keeps them from being dynamic).

 

Steve Pederson disagrees. They definitely need to modernize. Can't slip into mediocrity. 

  • Plus1 1
  • Haha 6
Link to post
Just now, Born N Bled Red said:

 

Steve Pederson disagrees. They definitely need to modernize. Can't slip into mediocrity. 

For sure lol

 

BA may be a control freak/overbearing/any other adjective you want to describe him as but he's no dummy. Whether the next guy can ensure it says that way remains to be seen. 

Link to post

I think his retirement will help Nebraska more off the field which could indirectly aid Nebraska on the courts/fields. He appeared to have quite a bit of influence with the conference office and commissioner which seemed to go against the benefit of Nebraska quite often. Would be a real shame if they went and hired Eichorst to replace Barry... :sarcasm

Link to post
39 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

 

 

Jaws - no. I think it speaks to the system Alvarez installed, kept in place, and continued to hire to as the AD.  As deedsker points out, the coaches may have changed but the system and process for the program stayed the same. 

 

Lets not act like Wisconsin is some juggernaut. They have a system in place but it hasn't been that successful. 

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wisconsin_Badgers_football_seasons

  • Plus1 1
Link to post

53 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

 

 

Jaws - no. I think it speaks to the system Alvarez installed, kept in place, and continued to hire to as the AD.  As deedsker points out, the coaches may have changed but the system and process for the program stayed the same. 

6 minutes ago, jaws said:

 

Lets not act like Wisconsin is some juggernaut. They have a system in place but it hasn't been that successful. 

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Wisconsin_Badgers_football_seasons

 

I missed where I stated Wisconsin is a juggernaut. Instead, anything that could be read into my statement (and deedskers) is a level of consistency that's been maintained by Wisconsin since Alvarez has been AD with the multiple coaching changes. 

Link to post
7 minutes ago, bugeater17 said:

 

I missed where I stated Wisconsin is a juggernaut. Instead, anything that could be read into my statement (and deedskers) is a level of consistency that's been maintained by Wisconsin since Alvarez has been AD with the multiple coaching changes. 

 

Over his tenure (coach and AD) and not counting 2020 they averaged a 9-4 record. Is that the kind of consistency you are looking for? I don't think he was a bad coach or AD but I also don't think this is somehow a great thing for Nebraska. I don't think this changes anything for Nebraska.

  • Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
1 hour ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

I think his retirement will help Nebraska more off the field which could indirectly aid Nebraska on the courts/fields. He appeared to have quite a bit of influence with the conference office and commissioner which seemed to go against the benefit of Nebraska quite often. Would be a real shame if they went and hired Eichorst to replace Barry... :sarcasm

 

Scheduling will be the biggest positive impact. He always made sure Wisconsin had easier schedules than the competition in the same division. 

  • Plus1 1
Link to post
51 minutes ago, jaws said:

 

Over his tenure (coach and AD) and not counting 2020 they averaged a 9-4 record. Is that the kind of consistency you are looking for? I don't think he was a bad coach or AD but I also don't think this is somehow a great thing for Nebraska. I don't think this changes anything for Nebraska.

 

You need to be consistently good, before you can be great.  

 

I think it will be interesting to see if Chryst does start adding things to the offense.  He does like the forward pass more than Alvarez.  I don't think he will stray too far from the formula.  I don't think they are getting rid of the fullback.  It won't surprise me to see an uptick in their passing and more use of the shotgun.  We will see. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
5 hours ago, uberism said:

 

You are illustrating exactly what I described about the media - those who will not have the proper grasp of how much influence he had on the football team even as AD. As stated, he would literally attended practices and gives feedback (he did this with every coach after he went to the AD office), literally has been visiting with recruits since becoming AD when they visit campus, literally has had a hand in film reviews and making sure certain schemes are ran, and much more. 

 

Barry retiring is a much bigger impact in the Big Ten than most will realize, including you. 

 

I agree with his retiring having a major impact on Wisconsin.  However, I'm not sure I follow the logic in having a major impact on the B1G.  I realize he threw his weight around bending things in Wisconsin's favor with the B1G brass, but at the end of the day it probably didn't have much of an impact on most of the B1G especially the Ohio State's and such.      

Link to post

2 hours ago, jaws said:

 

Over his tenure (coach and AD) and not counting 2020 they averaged a 9-4 record. Is that the kind of consistency you are looking for? I don't think he was a bad coach or AD but I also don't think this is somehow a great thing for Nebraska. I don't think this changes anything for Nebraska.

After Riley and the beginning of Frost, yes.

 

They have won their division half the time in the B1G era with a conference championship in one of the non-division win seasons. That is the kind of success any program would be happy having. In the same time frame, the other teams in power 5 conferences to do that since 2011 are as follows:

 

Alabama

Georgia

Ohio State

Clemson

Oklahoma* (Be in the top 2 to make the title game)

  • Upvote 1
Link to post

I would like us to beat Wisc wt Barry still as AD.  It would be nice to rise up to their level of consistency instead of waiting for them to fall down to our level of...:facepalm:

  • Plus1 1
Link to post
1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

I would like us to beat Wisc wt Barry still as AD.  It would be nice to rise up to their level of consistency instead of waiting for them to fall down to our level of...:facepalm:

I think we would have given them all they could handle this past year, this last Wisconsin team was not very good. Wisconsin will likely drop back towards the pack after this season... they finally get a taste of what we've had since we joined the conference --> Ohio State 2022 through 2025

Link to post

If NU is measuring itself against Wisconsin, they are falling short of expectations.  NU's success isn't tied to Wisconsin's failure.  But, there is no doubt Alvarez has been the driving force behind that program, and it's a testament to him they have remained as consistent as they have through multiple coaching changes because that doesn't/hasn't happened anywhere else that I can recall.  

 

  • Plus1 1
Link to post
2 hours ago, NUinID said:

 

You need to be consistently good, before you can be great.  

 

I think it will be interesting to see if Chryst does start adding things to the offense.  He does like the forward pass more than Alvarez.  I don't think he will stray too far from the formula.  I don't think they are getting rid of the fullback.  It won't surprise me to see an uptick in their passing and more use of the shotgun.  We will see. 

 

At Nebraska, that type of consistency gets you fired.

  • Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.






×
×
  • Create New...