Nebraska / Penn State matches canceled due to Covid

21 minutes ago, Loebarth said:

Umm... because??? Our girls tested positive or theirs? Were our girls exposed or theirs?

Exposure on Penn State's part. To my knowledge no Huskers have tested positive during the season, although Hayley Densberger and Emma Gabel sat out a couple of matches two weeks ago due to contact tracing (both tested negative, but both players were being cautious). 

Penn State has missed several matches this year, including last weekend's matches against Wisconsin. Last weekend was due to Covid issues on the Penn State roster.

Cook mentioned during today's presser that if one of the PSU players traveled, then tested positive while in Lincoln (possible with the virus' incubation period) she would have had to drive home. That tells me the issue is on their team, not ours.

I'm sure Cook is being ultra cautious with this being the last match prior to the NCAA Tournament. I have no doubt that he wanted to play, but he also didn't want to have an outbreak and spoil the post season. 

29 minutes ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Shameful that the Big Ten wouldn't let schools schedule non-conference matches...

It wouldn't benefit the Huskers, unless you consider the revenue from tickets sales. No regional team would be available that would be of sufficient quality to improve Nebraska's seeding in the tournament. Creighton has matches this weekend, so they're not available. 

Cook also let us know that he was not sad to see the matches canceled - he feared what it would be like at Devaney without a full crowd, saying he wanted the team to experience 8,000 fans and not 2,000 or whatever. Which is weird, and makes me wonder if the decision wasn't totally related to Covid, but that was a convenient out. 

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It wouldn't benefit the Huskers, unless you consider the revenue from tickets sales. No regional team would be available that would be of sufficient quality to improve Nebraska's seeding in the tournament. Creighton has matches this weekend, so they're not available. 

Cook also let us know that he was not sad to see the matches canceled - he feared what it would be like at Devaney without a full crowd, saying he wanted the team to experience 8,000 fans and not 2,000 or whatever. Which is weird, and makes me wonder if the decision wasn't totally related to Covid, but that was a convenient out. 

Seeding isn't necessarily a worry, we should be comfortable in the top 5 but  it does deprive the team of a Senior Day/weekend. And wouldn't have to be Creighton, could have filled in with a K-State, Nebraska Wesleyan, etc. Just an experience for the visiting team to play at Devaney and gives our team some competition. Sitting around for two-plus weeks is a rough draw.

1 minute ago, Wistrom Disciple said:

Seeding isn't necessarily a worry, we should be comfortable in the top 5 but  it does deprive the team of a Senior Day/weekend. And wouldn't have to be Creighton, could have filled in with a K-State, Nebraska Wesleyan, etc. Just an experience for the visiting team to play at Devaney and gives our team some competition. Sitting around for two-plus weeks is a rough draw.

Every team you bring in is a Covid risk, and Cook isn't willing to take that risk.

Listen to today's presser. He's cool with this weekend getting canceled. They figured it was going to happen and they were OK with it. They have plans for the seniors (none of whom Cook is going to encourage to come back, BTW), and he claims anything they stream will get 500,000 views instead of 8,000 in the Bob. 

Just now, knapplc said:

Every team you bring in is a Covid risk, and Cook isn't willing to take that risk.

Listen to today's presser. He's cool with this weekend getting canceled. They figured it was going to happen and they were OK with it. They have plans for the seniors (none of whom Cook is going to encourage to come back, BTW), and he claims anything they stream will get 500,000 views instead of 8,000 in the Bob. 

True, however two weeks off poses just as big of a risk unless the team and staff stay secluded. I don't envy their next few weeks. I'm glad he and the staff are brainstorming ways to support the team and honor the seniors.