Biden's Infrastructure Proposal

I love the investment into infrastructure but part of me doesn't trust a lot of the companies that would be involved when it comes to Internet access. They have wasted federal money in the past and lied about expanded rollouts. I don't know how this will be any different for the large ISPs. 

As for Starlink, at first I was skeptical but this looks like the real deal. As they add capacity (satellite and ground links), this will really start to open up the possibilities for those with poor quality ISPs or where ISPs are unwilling to go. The speeds and latency I have seen from some review have been amazing. I have been stuck in remote locations in the past and had to rely on satellite internet to fix some network equipment. Working with 800ms-2000ms latency isn't fun. 

I have also been impressed with T-Mobile's home internet delivery (4g/5g). It has provided very usable service at a decent price for so of my friends in ISP dead spots. 

Starlink tracking map (there is a better one but I can't find it at the moment): 

https://starlinkradar.com/livemap.html

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, jaws said:

I love the investment into infrastructure but part of me doesn't trust a lot of the companies that would be involved when it comes to Internet access. They have wasted federal money in the past and lied about expanded rollouts. I don't know how this will be any different for the large ISPs. 

As for Starlink, at first I was skeptical but this looks like the real deal. As they add capacity (satellite and ground links), this will really start to open up the possibilities for those with poor quality ISPs or where ISPs are unwilling to go. The speeds and latency I have seen from some review have been amazing. I have been stuck in remote locations in the past and had to rely on satellite internet to fix some network equipment. Working with 800ms-2000ms latency isn't fun. 

I have also been impressed with T-Mobile's home internet delivery (4g/5g). It has provided very usable service at a decent price for so of my friends in ISP dead spots. 

Starlink tracking map (there is a better one but I can't find it at the moment): 

https://starlinkradar.com/livemap.html

Good to hear the prospective from someone in the IT field.  When I responded to @BigRedBusterabout one of the tech companies solving this problem using satellite technology I wasn’t sure how ready it was to be actually commercially viable (don’t follow it closely outside of some news stories and following Elon).  I just feel this is the best long term solution if the network can be secured from any potential space interference.  

Any drawbacks you can see at the moment?

• Plus1 1

59 minutes ago, Archy1221 said:

Good to hear the prospective from someone in the IT field.  When I responded to @BigRedBusterabout one of the tech companies solving this problem using satellite technology I wasn’t sure how ready it was to be actually commercially viable (don’t follow it closely outside of some news stories and following Elon).  I just feel this is the best long term solution if the network can be secured from any potential space interference.  

Any drawbacks you can see at the moment?

I hope it is commercial success. There have been many great services that have dropped off the face of the earth because they are either too early to the party or they just couldn't gain momentum. Part of the Starlink sucess is also strategic for the US with coverage over the artic circles. There are multiple articles you can find that talk about this. 

Saying all that, it is just one piece of the puzzle. Expanded rollouts of fiber/copper networks still need to happen and the promise of 5g internet still needs to be fulfilled. It isn't a one solution takes all approach. The other part of this is making it affordable along with removing artificial caps on usage. 

6 hours ago, jaws said:

Saying all that, it is just one piece of the puzzle. Expanded rollouts of fiber/copper networks still need to happen and the promise of 5g internet still needs to be fulfilled. It isn't a one solution takes all approach. The other part of this is making it affordable along with removing artificial caps on usage.

Fixed it for you. Can't allow copper to exist or you're going to have a*****s like AT&T claiming they've already done their bit by running a 5 Mbps/<1Mbps connection in BFE (insert predominantly rural and conservative state here). 

Hell, FttP is one of the reasons Lincoln is such an attractive draw--when you can get a synchronous 500Mbps to 1Gbps connection in your home for less than s***tacular cable internet, anyone that works remote for a living (during and post-COVID, like myself) will keep them on a short list. 

Mitch is going to be Mitch...

"I'm going to fight them every step of the way, because I think this is the wrong prescription for America," Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell told a news conference in Owensboro, Kentucky."

"That package that they're putting together now, as much as we would like to address infrastructure, is not going to get support from our side," McConnell added."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mcconnell-pledges-fight-against-biden-165241386.html

1 hour ago, SECHusker said:

Mitch is going to be Mitch...

"I'm going to fight them every step of the way, because I think this is the wrong prescription for America," Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell told a news conference in Owensboro, Kentucky."

"That package that they're putting together now, as much as we would like to address infrastructure, is not going to get support from our side," McConnell added."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mcconnell-pledges-fight-against-biden-165241386.html

Right on cue.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

Infrastructure bill appears to be dead or watered down...

"WASHINGTON (Reuters) -U.S. Democratic Senator Joe Manchin, a pivotal vote in the evenly divided Senate, said on Wednesday he was opposed to a process called reconciliation that makes it easier to pass bills without Republican support, a potential blow to President Joe Biden's chances of passing a huge infrastructure measure." 

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-democrat-manchin-opposed-using-010247962.html

• Plus1 1