Myanmar is burning

Preface, I know very little about specifics beyond social media posts and that the military took over the government and are killing citizens.

This might make me a hawk on foreign policy and I understand many in the US aren't interested in foreign intervention anymore after recent screw ups and that is on both sides of the political spectrum. But if anywhere on the planet could use US troops on the ground it is here. One of my old school conservative views that promoting democracy globally is good and backing the people of Myanmar would be good.

If resistance leaders want help from us we should give it to them. I think we are just going to generally ignore this b/c it would heat up relations with China. I am rooting for the people fighting for their democracy.

• Plus1 2
8 hours ago, Omaha-Husker said:

Preface, I know very little about specifics beyond social media posts and that the military took over the government and are killing citizens.

This might make me a hawk on foreign policy and I understand many in the US aren't interested in foreign intervention anymore after recent screw ups and that is on both sides of the political spectrum. But if anywhere on the planet could use US troops on the ground it is here. One of my old school conservative views that promoting democracy globally is good and backing the people of Myanmar would be good.

If resistance leaders want help from us we should give it to them. I think we are just going to generally ignore this b/c it would heat up relations with China. I am rooting for the people fighting for their democracy.

We are going to ignore it because they dont have anything we want like oil or lithium or anything we can profit from. 

The UN needs to get involved if they havent already. Yes, we are a part of that but every country needs to do their part, not just us. 

• Plus1 2
14 hours ago, Omaha-Husker said:

This is where I'm at.  Myanmar has an extremely diverse mix of cultures and tribes that are now united against two adversaries:  the Myanmar military and the Chinese government.   

The resistance there is literally fighting to the death against all odds.  China won't accept the US trying to expand it's footprint in the region which is why we shouldn't have slowly ceded our influence in the region.  

An arms and technology embargo on the military should happen yesterday.  Send in our intelligence apparatuses and further train and coordinate the various tribes particularly on the Indian and Thai borders.  Doing so may force the junta to negotiate. 

It's a very complicated situation because Thailand is beholden to China now too.  China doesn't want instability on their border but also doesn't want a democracy.  Inaction though might produce a civil war along the lines of what we've seen in Syria.  I do think the various tribes are more united than the various factions in Syria ever were.

Bottom line, some combination of diplomacy, sanctions, and force might move the needle.  The counties in the region have an interest in peace.  They need to get involved with our support.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2021/04/12/world/asia/myanmar-coup-autocracy-democracy.amp.html

"The era of regional strongmen — they are all men — has returned. And the new configuration could make it easier for China to exert its influence, though many consider the region more noteworthy for its impressive economic growth than as a proxy battleground for superpowers.

The likelihood of renewed refugee outflows from Myanmar, in the heart of Asia, could destabilize Southeast Asia. Already, thousands are crowding the border with Thailand, provoking fears that they will bring Covid-19 with them"

Democratization is taking a beating around the world,” said Thitinan Pongsudhirak, the director of the Institute of Security and International Studies at Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok. “The resurgence of authoritarianism in Southeast Asia is part of that overall retreat and rollback.”

"China’s growing economic footprint in the region, coinciding with diminished American moral leadership, has given local authoritarians cover for their repression. Beijing has readily invested in countries with poor human rights records, weakening the power of Western financial sanctions"

The impact of retreating from the world stage is in full bloom now.  I guess we never learn from history.

• 4 weeks later...

This is brutal, gut wrenching, and inspiring all at once.  What a horrible choice to have to make in a situation like this.  Your honor or your life.  And you wonder how people here can be so flippant when an autocracy is brewing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.aljazeera.com/amp/news/2021/5/10/myanmar-poets-body-returned-to-family-with-organs-missing

“I don’t want to be a hero, I don’t want to be a martyr, I don’t want to be a weakling, I don’t want to be a fool,” he wrote two weeks after the coup. “I don’t want to support injustice. If I have only a minute to live, I want my conscience to be clean for that minute.” - Khet Thi