A lot to like in this article

Frost has always said the team needed to get bigger, faster, more athletic, and stronger. Wandale types are tiny, lack elite speed, but shifty. They don't do all that much damage in the NFL either unless they have Olympic level top end speed. In the AAC the size of players are smaller and not as fast, as a whole, as they are in the Big Ten. In the Big Ten players tend to have a lot of size and just as fast and athletic as the small guys in the AAC. 

Frost wanted to use the Oregon, UCF speed stuff in space, but even OSU doesn't do it the way that Frost had been trying. In 2018 when the team was winning games during the second half of the season, it was ball going down the field and a downhill running game. In 2019 and 2020 it was pitch, handoff, catch to the Wandale show and it was a complete failure. 

Get the guys with size from WR, OL TE and get guys with good speed and size in the slot instead of these 5'9'' 180 small kids. Get the 6'3'' 210 in the slot - bigger catch radius, the defense has to decide to use an extra DB or LB, and stretch the defense, opening up the running game. 

Basically do what Alabama does. Don't do what Purdue and Wisconsin do. Wisconsin limits their ability with the way they run their offense and Purdue sucks because they are so damn pass happy. Even Ohio State will run a lot and for a lot of yards and it's not because they run the ball like Wisconsin. 

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Great article and shows that Frost hasn’t been stuck in his ways the last couple of years.  He’s been recruiting wanting to be a different team than what he had then. 

Agree.  I think he came in with one idea and has realized some changes were needed.  Getting bodies once a year is harder than changing scheme.  I'm not drinking the kool- aid yet, but I am getting the ingredients out together.:D

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, lo country said:

Agree.  I think he came in with one idea and has realized some changes were needed.  Getting bodies once a year is harder than changing scheme.  I'm not drinking the kool- aid yet, but I am getting the ingredients out together.:D

Yep....  that’s not your typical shallow off season hype BS article. Love seeing specifics about how things have been changing even though we haven’t seen the results with wins yet. 

Definitely makes me start picking the flavor out. 

A coach I have the utmost respect for (Zack Darlington's father) once said you have to be better or different.  This is a guy who won 3 8A state titles in Florida running the single wing.

I think Frost long ago fell in love w/the notion of Oregon @ NU.  Unfortunately, by the time he got there, that was no longer unique.  He's not alone, Kelly & Malzahn have struggled recently & it hasn't been that long since each were in NC games w/QB's who could barely throw the ball.  But, nothing stays new forever, the spread isn't the holy grail, & optimizing it for this program & this conference is obviously vital to his future.   

Frost said when he was hired here that he hoped the Big Ten would have to change for him.

I think he's learned that lesson, which produced the exodus of Spielman & Robinson. It's sad, because they're great guys & we're going to miss them.

But I don't think their size fits the reality of everyday Big Ten life. So Frost is adjusting, and that leads to yet more rebuilding seasons.

It's frustrating.

Go Big Red.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
10 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Frost said when he was hired here that he hoped the Big Ten would have to change for him.

I think he's learned that lesson, which produced the exodus of Spielman & Robinson. It's sad, because they're great guys & we're going to miss them.

But I don't think their size fits the reality of everyday Big Ten life. So Frost is adjusting, and that leads to yet more rebuilding seasons.

It's frustrating.

Go Big Red.

By looking at recruiting and how different our roster is now compared to his first year, it appears to me this is what he’s been building towards since he got here. I don’t view this as something that all of a sudden he thought about this year. 

So, I fail to see how this article shows that we are in for more rebuilding seasons than before.  

• Plus1 3

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

By looking at recruiting and how different our roster is now compared to his first year, it appears to me this is what he’s been building towards since he got here. I don’t view this as something that all of a sudden he thought about this year. 

So, I fail to see how this article shows that we are in for more rebuilding seasons than before.  

Frost recruited Robinson to fit his DuckR role, right? And hasn't recruited a guy like that since, right?

I feel like he's seen the light and he's getting more size on the field. But putting it all together will take time, as will turning away from the Robinson/DuckR types. 

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Frost recruited Robinson to fit his DuckR role, right? And hasn't recruited a guy like that since, right?

I feel like he's seen the light and he's getting more size on the field. But putting it all together will take time, as will turning away from the Robinson/DuckR types. 

Nixon and Brown disagree.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2
4 hours ago, TheSker said:

Nixon and Brown disagree.

Nixon and Brown are about 4” taller but nice try.   Frost's last true Duck-R guy was Washington and I'm guessing he was hoping Robinson would have been the same but that didn't go as planned.  I do think that he will try and use Nixon and Brown in the same capacity that he used Washington.  

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, knapplc said:

And, as early as 2018 or 1019 he was also recruiting some WRs 6' or taller.  It seems as though each class has had taller and bigger WRs.  I'm not saying he hasn't adjusted his plans. I'm saying he has realized he needed bigger/taller WRs at least a couple years ago and that's why that group has the overall size they have now.  It's not something he all of a sudden realized after last season.  As early as 2018, he recruited McGriff who was 6'5" 210 and Hunt who was 6'0" 175.  Looking at the roster, we have very few WRs that are under 6'.  That didn't all happen in the 2020 class or later.

At other positions like D and O linemen, he said very early on that he needs bigger and stronger linemen and has been recruiting that ever since.  

A position that possibly he has decided he wants bigger is at RB.  So, he went and got Stepp which could be an immediate impact player that doesn't require a year or two or building to get him on the field.

4 hours ago, Stumpy1 said:

Nixon and Brown are about 4” taller but nice try.   Frost's last true Duck-R guy was Washington and I'm guessing he was hoping Robinson would have been the same but that didn't go as planned.  I do think that he will try and use Nixon and Brown in the same capacity that he used Washington.  

Nixon and Brown are both listed at 5-11.  Robinson was listed as 5-10.  I don't think Robinson was that tall but I don't think they are 4 inches taller.

Either way, they are very similar players.  Just because Robinson happened to be one of the shortest guys we've ever had doesn't mean everyone else playing the same role has to be that short.  Nixon and Brown are considerably shorter than most of the other receivers we are recruiting.

• Plus1 2