2021 Spring Notes - Running Back

7 hours ago, Toe said:

I was just saying I'm another thread: better hope the Earvin hype is real, because all the other RBs we've brought in need to be kept in bubble wrap. Like... maybe we should be putting RBs in green no-contact jerseys (shudder).

https://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/sipple/steven-m-sipple-with-stepp-shelved-a-husker-fans-mind-may-wander-to-unpleasant-places/article_a1bef88c-48df-5343-b569-7d468cf85647.html

Not that it makes it many better for us, but by the end of one of their practices last week Wisconsin was down to 1 walk-on as their only one RB. Keeping RBs healthy is the worst.

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, bugeater17 said:

With the number of freshman running backs, I wouldn't be surprised to see 1 (or maybe 2) leave after the spring (or get pushed out). I'm not giving up on him but I wouldn't be surprised to see Rahmir Johnson explore other options depending on his spot on the depth chart. 

He's such a mystery to me, because I thought there was a lot of good things being said about him last year by the staff

The only mystery to me is why this program, no matter the coach or philosophy, seems incapable of correcting in-game execution and discipline issues.  Penalties and turnovers seem to be our identity anymore.

At least our agility drills look good and our SP+ ranking will improve this season.

Note to Reporters & "Analysts": Please go home until this thing starts to turn around.  

• Plus1 1

RB is the only skill spot that has me worried. WR-a lot of potential, BUT guys with hype who have been here a relatively short time and no real opportunity to play.  TE-Rock solid.  Strength (at least experience wise) of the skill positions.  RB-Several dudes been here a while and have yet to separate themselves from the pack.

Better OL play will help.  The receivers being able to stretch the field and take the top off the D will at least not have the starting RB go against what always seemed like 11 dudes in the box.  That'd make any RB look better.

• Plus1 1

@lo country AFAICT the story with the RBs is injuries everywhere. Like damn near all of them have missed at least some of this spring due to injuries. I swear we're gonna have to keep them in bubble wrap until August. Heading into this year, my biggest concern by far was our WRs, but if we can't keep dudes healthy, RB could be our biggest problem.

On 4/17/2021 at 7:03 PM, Toe said:

So is Yant the only remaining RB on the roster that hasn't missed some practice time?

They also could be giving the backs rest days so they don't get beat up. Stepp is the only one we know who's definitively hurt. We only have info from two practices.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1