2021 Spring Notes - Running Back

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

If that's the case, it very well might be because we have others that have stepped up and doing well. I'm fine with someone like this getting beat out by someone else that is doing well.

to me, Yant and Stepp look like they are the same type of back but I would give the edge to Stepp because he already has the experience.  Stepp isn't as heavy tho.  Yant is a big boy but he runs to straight up to me.  There is a lot of time between now a fall so maybe Yant does improve and make a case for lots of carries.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Just from what i've watched in the practice clips.  He may get playing time if the other 3 guys ahead of him can't stay healthy.  I could be wrong but its just seems like he will be just another RB that gets high praise in the spring only to never be heard from again.

I actually think he will end up 2nd or 3rd and will get plenty of reps.  He has the best hands out of the RBs and according to some of the players, he is pretty fast for being a bigger back.  I think his issue right now is the playbook and he has some time to get that worked out.  I'm going with Scott as 1,  Thompkins or Stepp if healthy as 2 and Yant as 3.  

13 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

Just from what i've watched in the practice clips.  He may get playing time if the other 3 guys ahead of him can't stay healthy.  I could be wrong but its just seems like he will be just another RB that gets high praise in the spring only to never be heard from again.

Yeah I've got the same feeling. It seems like he's getting a lot of love because his physical stature and the fact he's actually participating in practice. Seems like the bar for the RB room is - be alive and practicing. I think the kid has potential but not expecting much production this year. 

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, Stumpy1 said:

I actually think he will end up 2nd or 3rd and will get plenty of reps.  He has the best hands out of the RBs and according to some of the players, he is pretty fast for being a bigger back.  I think his issue right now is the playbook and he has some time to get that worked out.  I'm going with Scott as 1,  Thompkins or Stepp if healthy as 2 and Yant as 3.  

I think Ervin will have more carries/receptions than Scott, Thompkins and Yant.

It's all going to come down to health, and the fact that the injuries (minor or not) have continued in the spring has me a lot more worried than the lack of experience. I think Yant and Stepp clearly fill the same role, and Stepp is the #1 there. But if he's not healthy I expect to see Yant this year, Scott can sort of fill the power back role but not super well.

For the other backs, it's just going to be health. Thompkins and Scott have the leg up with a little bit of experience, and the biggest thing going for Scott is he seems to be the least injury prone. But Morrison and Ervin probably have more natural ability than either of those, depending on what you think of Thompkins post-surgeries.  I think if everyone was healthy from now through the year, Thompkins/Stepp would start and we'd see Morrison/Scott/Johnson/a little bit of Ervin rotate through with Morrison starting to steal the job throughout the year. But they won't all be healthy, so who knows. If we can have at least 2 fully healthy backs throughout the year I'd feel ok, I just don't have confidence that will be the case. Which is crazy with that many options.

• Plus1 1