2021 Spring Notes - Running Back

4 minutes ago, Farms said:

Stepp, Scott, Ervin, Thompkins, Morrison, Yant, Johnson.  That's 7 guys, 6 of which are young guys, in the mix for a few spots..  What's everybody's best guess for how it shakes out this year?

Someone will run the ball is my guess. I don’t have a clue what the hell is going on. I think Stepp likely comes back and wins the job. 

14 minutes ago, Decked said:

Someone will run the ball is my guess. I don’t have a clue what the hell is going on. I think Stepp likely comes back and wins the job. 

I think that is everyone, I like flashes of what I have seen out of all of them but have seen zero consistency from any of them as well. That may mean while in the game or being available to be in a game etc. 

• Thanks 1
32 minutes ago, Farms said:

Stepp, Scott, Ervin, Thompkins, Morrison, Yant, Johnson.  That's 7 guys, 6 of which are young guys, in the mix for a few spots..  What's everybody's best guess for how it shakes out this year?

I still feel like it'll mostly be a matter of who's healthy this fall.

2 hours ago, Farms said:

Johnson and/or Thompkins transfers.

Projected depth chart

1a. Scott

1b. Ervin

2. Stepp (don't know if he goes through the season injury free)

3. Morrison (personal favorite and the one I believe has the most potential)

4. Yant

4 hours ago, SECHusker said:

Johnson and/or Thompkins transfers.

Projected depth chart

1a. Scott

1b. Ervin

2. Stepp (don't know if he goes through the season injury free)

3. Morrison (personal favorite and the one I believe has the most potential)

4. Yant

I’m on the same page with you. I feel that Stepp and Scott will both get a lot of reps. Scott just seems like a solid back, much like Ozigbo. Ervin and Morrison are the most intriguing to me as they seem like they are the two potential stars, I hope Morrison doesn’t feel buried and move on. I thought Yant was just a spring story but after seeing him play I feel like he will at least have a role. If he slims down who knows he and Ervin would be thunder and lightning. My gut feeling is that Johnson has been passed up and will look around. Or maybe he can play receiver? Thompson is the biggest wild card as he still seems like he could do a lot of things well but I’m just not sure he’ll ever be the player he was even if he does stay healthy. Overall we have plenty of options, surely there’s a stud in that group. 

11 minutes ago, uberism said:

Stepp is the starter

Scott is the backup

Ervin is the 3rd guy unless Morrison beats him there. 

Yant needs to be on scholarship

That would be ideal. Rahmir I think should stay and give it a shot at WR. 

Then where’s Thompkins in all this?  Sure, he seems injury prone, but so does your starter. 

• Fire 1
37 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Then where’s Thompkins in all this?  Sure, he seems injury prone, but so does your starter. 

Battling with Ervin and Morrison for 3rd. I suspect what will slow down Ervin is learning the playbook and having the blocking schemes down. 

If I had to put $100 on the table for the RB rotation going into the IL game (on game day), I'd go with Steep, Scott and then Morrison. 

From what I have seen, there hasn't been a back that we have given a fair shake to be the bell cow since the new regime.  I don't think that trend changes.  It's like QBs.  They say if you've got two, then you've got none.  

I would say the same applies to RBs.  If you've got 7, you've got none.  

Stepp and Yant are the power backs and should not start in this offense.  They would be great short yardage or change of pace backs.

Scott is the tweeter.  He's power and speed, he just needs enough touches to see if he's got what it takes.

Earvin and Morrison are very similar backs.  Both explosive...I like them both.

I'd say your depth chart needs to be broken down this way.

Short yardage back:

1. Stepp

2. Yant

Every down back:

1. Scott

2. Earvin/Morrison

3.  Everyone else

16 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

Whichever one(s) is the best blocker for edge and middle LB blitzes would have that weigh heavily in their favor too, I would hope. 

This is Morrison's weakness. Rewatched the spring game and he's not a willing blocker. Think Scott excels better than the rest in this area.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, SECHusker said:

This is Morrison's weakness. Rewatched the spring game and he's not a willing blocker. Think Scott excels better than the rest in this area.

We haven't got one single guy who can do everything consistently, or even 75%, that's the biggest issue.