2021 Spring Notes - Running Back

4 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

So do you think Coach Held gets credit for bringing Oz from deep on the depth chart to a 1K rusher?  The only point I was trying to make was that Oz wasn't deep in the depth chart.  He was a senior who got himself into great shape was already a pretty good back when the season started.  Everyone keeps misconstruing my comments in different ways and two hours later--here we are.  

If you want to go strictly by what the published depth chart said, then sure Oz wasn't too far down. The point Mav and others are making is that in reality, Oz was in fact considered 3rd in terms of top backs by Held and Co. as evident by how much playing time he got. If Oz was really a co #1, then he wouldn't have been well behind Bell and Mo the first few games. The published depth chart is one thing, what really matters in terms of the true depth chart is how much PT you get. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, caveman99 said:

If you want to go strictly by what the published depth chart said, then sure Oz wasn't too far down. The point Mav and others are making is that in reality, Oz was in fact considered 3rd in terms of top backs by Held and Co. as evident by how much playing time he got. If Oz was really a co #1, then he wouldn't have been well behind Bell and Mo the first few games. The published depth chart is one thing, what really matters in terms of the true depth chart is how much PT you get. 

I see their point, but it's irrelevant to my original argument.  And that is Held shouldn't get credit for bringing Oz from "deep" in the depth chart.  Because 2, 3 or whatever he actually was is not deep.  5 or 6 is deep.  Especially when 1 and 2 are high risk/high reward head cases and end up leaving for a multitude of reasons.  In '18 Oz played and had a nice season because of them leaving, his hard work in the offseason and the fact that Frost's offense is much more conducive to getting yards that Riley's was.  Hindsight is 20-20, bit In my opinion it was a mistake by Held and Co. for taking risks on Mo and Bell in the first place. This is all just my opinion.  

• 2 weeks later...

Wow.  We have almost no RB production back from last season.  Less than 100 yards.  Yikes!

==================================================================  

2020 Rushing Stats

Rushing    Receiving    Scrimmage
Rk    Player    Att    Yds    Avg    TD    Rec    Yds    Avg    TD    Plays    Yds    Avg    TD
1    Adrian Martinez    91    521    5.7    7                    91    521    5.7    7  (QB)
2    Dedrick Mills    84    396    4.7    3    12    85    7.1    0    96    481    5.0    3  graduated
3    Luke McCaffrey    65    364    5.6    3    1    5    5.0    0    66    369    5.6    3  Louisville 
4    Wan'Dale Robinson    46    240    5.2    1    51    461    9.0    1    97    701    7.2    2 Kentucky
5    Marvin Scott III    24    62    2.6    0    2    17    8.5    0    26    79    3.0    0  
6    Rahmir Johnson    8    30    3.8    1    6    33    5.5    0    14    63    4.5    1

7    Ronald Thompkins    5    24    4.8    0    1    10    10.0    0    6    34    5.7    0  portal 
8    Alante Brown    1    18    18.0    0    3    41    13.7    0    4    59    14.8    0  (wide receiver)
9    Cooper Jewett    1    2    2.0    0    1    -1    -1.0    0    2    1    0.5    0    

==================================================================  

Running backs on our roster today (according to huskers.com).  Lotta freshmen and redshirt freshmen in this group!  

0    Jaquez Yant    RB    6-2    225    Fr.    Tallahassee    Fla.    Amos P. Godby

14    Rahmir Johnson    RB    5-10    185    RFr.    Oradell    N.J.    Bergen Catholic
21    Marvin Scott III    RB    5-9    210    Fr.    Daytona Beach    Fla.    Spruce Creek
22    Gabe Ervin Jr.    RB    6-1    190    Fr.    Buford    Ga.    Buford
23    Grant Lohr    RB    6-0    185    Fr.    Tulsa    Okla.    Jenks
25    Ronald Thompkins    RB    5-11    195    RFr.    Loganville    Ga.    Grayson
26    Cooper Jewett    RB    5-10    190    RFr.    Omaha    Neb.    Elkhorn South
28    Sevion Morrison    RB    6-0    210    Fr.    Tulsa    Okla.    Edison
30    Markese Stepp    RB    6-0    235    So.    Indianapolis    Ind.    Cathedral HS/USC
31    Zach Weinmaster    RB    5-11    190    RFr.    Loveland    Colo.    Loveland
34    Beau Psencik    RB    6-0    190    Fr.    Houston    Texas    Lutheran South Acad.
35    Trevin Luben    RB    6-0    195    Fr.    Wahoo    Neb.    Wahoo
37    Isaiah Harris    RB    5-9    190    Fr.    Omaha    Neb.    Millard South
39    Matthew Schuster    RB    5-9    170    Fr.    Cozad    Neb.    Cozad HS/Ashland-Greenwood HS
44    Aiden Young    RB    5-9    175    Fr.    Omaha    Neb.    Elkhorn

• Plus1 1

Meh.... I hate losing guys, but in reality we only lost 650 yards of production !   Mills graduated like everyone eventually does.  Almost everyone on here didn't think Robinson belonged in the backfield and McCaffery was a QB.  Thompkins generated a whopping 24 yards.  I was (am) a fan of all of these guys.  I truly wish each one of those guys were still on the team.  Thompkins is snakebitten, and that stinks.

Time to develop a true RB and create a stable that will feed itself year after year.  Too much time wasted on experiments with Robinson and trying to utilize Luke as a QB, which only gave us another RB out of position.  

• Plus1 1

47 minutes ago, Decked said:

I don’t buy that. 

This is the local rumor but Hall grew up an OU fan and desperately wanted to go there. His HS coach told Lincoln Riley to offer him and Riley said they were full at RB. When it became clear he wasn't getting the OU offer he chose the school that had been recruiting him the longest (ISU). FWIW it's partly backed up by this article. https://247sports.com/Article/Iowa-State-Cyclones-upset-Oklahoma-Sooners-Breece-Hall-Wichita-Northwest-coach-Steve-Martin-calls-out-Lincoln-Riley-152415976/

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, J-MAGIC said:

People in Wichita say Breece Hall was never coming here. OU was the one who messed that up.

Okay, no debate here.  All I know is how I had him ranked in my mind.  I know we got him here for a visit.  I also think it was McKewon who had a :bigredn: CB.   The Huskers also showed up on his final list, OU did not.  So, all I can go off of is we thought enough of him to give him a visit ... and what I recall we were in the loop for him.  We were considering 3-4 RB's and I remember a debate occurring in the thread about Kansas schools verses Missouri schools.  I am a Missouri man so I knowing the schools my team [Camdenton] played against, I know talent levels from that "eye" and Breece was a kid I felt was a homerun.  What Breece was as a RB I compare to remembering Dorial Green-Beckham as a WR out of Springfield Hickman.  DGB was just at another level [Missouri talent wise].  I just recall that Breece seemed like a RB talent at another level ... compared to what my eyes have seen.

If OU messed up ... I don't care.  I was just inserting Breece into the thread because of the comment I responded to ... talking about what our RB group would look like with a 4-year Washington.  It would have looked better with Wash ... oh ... and Breece as a 1-2 [at least in my mind].

It now looks like the two guys we took over Breece ... are/will be gone very soon.  If Breece never wanted us ... okay ... I wanted him [I think in my crawl is that I don't know if our staff pursued him or saw him as high as hey could have been].  Thus, I added him into the "wonder" or "mystery" of what the team would look like with a little better "luck" or "eye" in terms of recruiting the position.

11 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

This is the local rumor but Hall grew up an OU fan and desperately wanted to go there. His HS coach told Lincoln Riley to offer him and Riley said they were full at RB. When it became clear he wasn't getting the OU offer he chose the school that had been recruiting him the longest (ISU). FWIW it's partly backed up by this article. https://247sports.com/Article/Iowa-State-Cyclones-upset-Oklahoma-Sooners-Breece-Hall-Wichita-Northwest-coach-Steve-Martin-calls-out-Lincoln-Riley-152415976/

Enjoyed that read.  Thanks.  Nice find.