B1G simply doesn't care about baseball

Loebarth

So.. like many on here I'm sure, in my frustration of zero conference news about baseball I thought I'd visit the conference websites of the other power conferences to compare. Other conferences actually show journalistic interests in baseball. All of them except the B1G.. fact is, theres more about track, gymnastics, golf, lacrosse and even womens softball than baseball. Personally, I don't know why any high school senior considering a baseball scholly and especially dreaming about a professional career in baseball would even briefly consider an offer from a B1G school. The B1G (like d1 baseball site) is about $.$$ and nothing more. They expect fans to buy a platform to listen not to actual groomed and interesting commentators but rather college students with sometimes little knowledge of the game. I personally am absolutely sick of the disrespect this conference has for the fans, the athletes, the schools as a whole. Leaving the big 12, to me, is quickly revealing itself as a mistake. Maybe not a huge mistake but a mistake nonetheless.

• Plus1 2

On 4/7/2021 at 12:22 PM, Loebarth said:

So.. like many on here I'm sure, in my frustration of zero conference news about baseball I thought I'd visit the conference websites of the other power conferences to compare. Other conferences actually show journalistic interests in baseball. All of them except the B1G.. fact is, theres more about track, gymnastics, golf, lacrosse and even womens softball than baseball. Personally, I don't know why any high school senior considering a baseball scholly and especially dreaming about a professional career in baseball would even briefly consider an offer from a B1G school. The B1G (like d1 baseball site) is about $.$$ and nothing more. They expect fans to buy a platform to listen not to actual groomed and interesting commentators but rather college students with sometimes little knowledge of the game. I personally am absolutely sick of the disrespect this conference has for the fans, the athletes, the schools as a whole. Leaving the big 12, to me, is quickly revealing itself as a mistake. Maybe not a huge mistake but a mistake nonetheless.

I have been a BigTen fan for decades, and you are not wrong. Historically they have not had great baseball teams, besides the occasional run in the college World Series. Even then, this only gets some interest from a band wagon jumping fan base during the run. There is more interest in hockey, and even lacrosse recently. I wondered how NU fans would feel about this when they joined. You probably didn’t realize it would not be a good match for baseball. Others areas have been great however....women’s volleyball for example. :thumbs

Yesterday afternoon I finished my yard work and tuned into BTN to see if Husker baseball or another game might be on. They were showing reruns of the Mich/Mich St rivalry in between live comments about mens soccer. Freaking women's bowling would have been more interesting!  BTN had 6 or 7 months of showing essentially no live events and expected us to pay for watching reruns of Ohio St/Mich football and now still can get off their entitled a$$es and show an interesting live event.

The B1G ten gets a National Championship and not even a peep. Not even a congratulations to Nebraska's Women's Bowling team.. and people still wonder why Nebraskan's are getting disgusted with this conference!! B1G is disgusting and it's not a good place for Nebraska sports.

2 hours ago, Loebarth said:

The B1G ten gets a National Championship and not even a peep. Not even a congratulations to Nebraska's Women's Bowling team.. and people still wonder why Nebraskan's are getting disgusted with this conference!! B1G is disgusting and it's not a good place for Nebraska sports.

Our bowling team is an independent. Not part of the Big Ten since we're the only ones with a team.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Loebarth said:

• Plus1 1

Cool. Men’s gymnastics was well represented by the Big Ten including NU. Final standings below. 4 of the top 6.

Team standings
1. Stanford — 414.521
2. Oklahoma — 411.591
3. Michigan — 410.358
4. Nebraska — 406.624
5. Minnesota — 406.291
6. Illinois — 397.991
  • Plus1 1

So, I was surfing this morning and went to btn's youtube... Not a single video covering America's Sport. Not a single mention of it. Nor is there any talk of women's softball. 

There's a reason, a concrete, very noticeable reason the national writers ignore BIG spring sports. It starts at the top of the B1G leadership.

• Plus1 2

8 hours ago, Loebarth said:

So, I was surfing this morning and went to btn's youtube... Not a single video covering America's Sport. Not a single mention of it. Nor is there any talk of women's softball. 

There's a reason, a concrete, very noticeable reason the national writers ignore BIG spring sports. It starts at the top of the B1G leadership.

I see lots of coverage of Michigan baseball and softball, but not on BTN yet. Only on Michigan sights and only when they are decent teams, like lately. I suspect there will be no BTN coverage of either unless some team makes the college world series.

• 1 month later...

So.. the B1G has a website where they employ journalists that well.... report on the happenings around the B1G.

I log into the website to read a congrats article to Nebraska for winning the baseball championship and to my disappointment (though no surprise) there is a 4 sentence.. yep, you heard me, 4 sentence article. Huskers Win

Shake my head, Hang my head in shame, Walk away wondering why we're hear. My kids when they were 10 could have put out a better article. What a disgrace!!

edit:

Oh.. and even more a disgrace is there's NO congratulations remark in it at all.

A list of articles about baseball so far this season on the B1G L1TTLE website:

5/23/2021 Nebraska Baseball Wins the Outright Big Ten Championship Baseball, General
5/18/2021 Michigan and Nebraska Earn Weekly Baseball Honors Baseball, General
5/11/2021 Maryland and Michigan Earn Weekly Baseball Honors Baseball, General
5/4/2021 Indiana, Penn State and Rutgers Earn Weekly Baseball Honors Baseball, General
4/27/2021 Illinois, Indiana, Iowa and Michigan State Earn Baseball Weekly Honors Baseball, General
4/20/2021 Iowa, Minnesota and Rutgers Earn Baseball Weekly Honors Baseball, General
4/13/2021 Indiana, Northwestern and Rutgers Earn Baseball Weekly Honors Baseball, General
4/7/2021 Ohio State and Rutgers Earn Baseball Weekly Honors Baseball, General
3/30/2021 Michigan State, Nebraska, Northwestern and Rutgers Earn Baseball Weekly Honors Baseball, General
3/23/2021 Iowa, Maryland and Nebraska Earn Baseball Weekly Honors Baseball, General
3/16/2021 Indiana, Maryland and Rutgers Earn Baseball Weekly Honors Baseball, General
3/10/2021 Indiana, Maryland and Michigan State Earn Baseball Weekly Honors Baseball, General
3/4/2021 Michigan Tabbed Big Ten Baseball Favorite Baseball, General
  • Plus1 2