2021 Spring Notes - Linebackers

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Much better view of this:

McKewon spent a minute or two in this week’s Pick 6 Podcast talking about Wright and Isaac Gifford being the backups to JoJo. Sam said that Wright is longer and more of the LB of the two, while Isaac would probably be better in coverage and more of a safety-type (and similar body type to JoJo). It will be an interesting competition for Domann’s backup and who may have the leg up for the starting spot in 2022. 

11 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

McKewon spent a minute or two in this week’s Pick 6 Podcast talking about Wright and Isaac Gifford being the backups to JoJo. Sam said that Wright is longer and more of the LB of the two, while Isaac would probably be better in coverage and more of a safety-type (and similar body type to JoJo). It will be an interesting competition for Domann’s backup and who may have the leg up for the starting spot in 2022. 

I'm hoping they are actually capable backups at the S positions, cuz unless I'm missing somebody, they are it behind Farmer & NPG's next season.  Ideally, I would prefer to see NU utilize a situational mix of players at that position ranging from true OLB, S, to CB.  I think they are married to the idea of a hybrid Rover, but if Tannor returns next season, I wonder if they still envision him in that spot he was recruited to play?  If not, you got a lot of OLB's competing for PT what is actually 1 spot.

1 hour ago, floridacorn said:

I'm hoping they are actually capable backups at the S positions, cuz unless I'm missing somebody, they are it behind Farmer & NPG's next season.  Ideally, I would prefer to see NU utilize a situational mix of players at that position ranging from true OLB, S, to CB.  I think they are married to the idea of a hybrid Rover, but if Tannor returns next season, I wonder if they still envision him in that spot he was recruited to play?  If not, you got a lot of OLB's competing for PT what is actually 1 spot.

There are three "freshmen" safeties on the roster right now - NPG, Farmer and Bretz. Wright and Gifford are two hybrids who are also both "freshmen".  So we have several guys who can play there for several more seasons.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It wasn't a perfect throw because it possibly was slightly under thrown.  But, I think it was more of a great play by the DB than a horrible throw.

Looked like the route was designed to continue inside and it was thrown so far behind him that they both stopped and it was still behind when it arrived.  I know its one throw to look at, but this combined with some other comments I've seen makes me slightly concerned about arm strength.

2 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

I know its one throw to look at, but this combined with some other comments I've seen makes me slightly concerned about arm strength.

Honestly, I Haarberg can be the man we all hope he can be, Smothers with a slightly underwhelming arm is good enough to be a great backup.. I mean, as long as he can accept reality should that come to prove true. 

46 minutes ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

Looked like the route was designed to continue inside and it was thrown so far behind him that they both stopped and it was still behind when it arrived.  I know its one throw to look at, but this combined with some other comments I've seen makes me slightly concerned about arm strength.

You're right, it wasn't a perfect through at all.  And, it was a great play by the LB.

1 hour ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

I tend to agree. I think Smothers is talented, but he strikes me more as a runner, a lot like McCaffrey was but he does have a better arm. The few videos I've watched, he seems to shot put the ball and has a low release point. I've been to several coaching clinics and almost every QB coach I've heard talk, speaks to the importance of elevating the ball high in the throwing motion, for several reasons. I think Smothers is a great athlete but I'm not convinced he'll be a good QB