Biden and the Courts

SC Court restructuring   

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Latest SC rulings:

Unanimous vote on the right of the Catholic Church adoption agency to refuse to work with same-sex foster parents.  City of Philadelphia had canceled its contract and violated the First Amendment in doing so.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/17/supreme-court-sides-with-catholic-adoption-agency-that-refuses-to-work-with-lgbt-couples.html

The Supreme Court on Thursday delivered a unanimous defeat to LGBT couples in a high-profile case over whether Philadelphia could refuse to contract with a Roman Catholic adoption agency that says its religious beliefs prevent it from working with same-sex foster parents.

Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in an opinion for a majority of the court that Philadelphia violated the First Amendment by refusing to contract with Catholic Social Services once it learned that the organization would not certify same-sex couples for adoption.

“The Free Exercise Clause of the First Amendment, applicable to the States under the Fourteenth Amendment, provides that ‘Congress shall make no law . . . prohibiting the free exercise’ of religion,” Roberts wrote.

“As an initial matter, it is plain that the City’s actions have burdened CSS’s religious exercise by putting it to the choice of curtailing its mission or approving relationships inconsistent with its beliefs,” he added.

7-2 Decision  - Obama Care is upheld again by the court.  GOP needs to put a fork in it.  It is done, over with. Time to work wt Dems to improve it as it has become

apart of our medical fabric now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/17/obamacare-survives-after-supreme-court-rejects-latest-republican-challenge.html

• T

• he Supreme Court on Thursday ruled against Texas and other Republican-led states seeking to strike down Obamacare in its latest test before the nation’s highest court.
    • The top court voted 7-2 to reverse an appeals court ruling that had struck down the law’s individual mandate provision.

Interesting followup article to the recent court rulings.   The last 2 paragraphs copied below, kind of summarizes the article.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/conservatives-still-seem-never-to-get-big-court-wins/ar-AAL9ZH3

This is what Justice Roberts does: He prefers to get wider court majorities or even court unanimity on narrower rulings rather than mere 5-4 majorities on broader constitutional questions – or to otherwise dodge rocking the boat politically – and obviously works to engineer such results. As Ilya Shapiro of the Cato Institute (among others) has noted, Roberts has done this sort of thing repeatedly, on cases with subjects ranging from immigration to abortion to sexual/gender issues to gun rights.

What is interesting is that, so far in her short tenure on the court, Justice Barrett has seemed wont to join Roberts's camp rather than Alito’s. This week’s decisions show that despite liberal fears and conservative hopes, American courts still aren’t primed for anything approaching a sweepingly conservative, constitutionalist revival.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

Interesting followup article to the recent court rulings.   The last 2 paragraphs copied below, kind of summarizes the article.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/conservatives-still-seem-never-to-get-big-court-wins/ar-AAL9ZH3

I would be happy to find out I was wrong about Barrett. But as others have noted, the Roe v Wade implications are some of the most important for how Barrett decides.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I would be happy to find out I was wrong about Barrett. But as others have noted, the Roe v Wade implications are some of the most important for how Barrett decides.

While I am pro-life, I'd be surprised if the court did a full reversal of Roe.  I think Roe was a bad case, a bad ruling,  a bad precedent.  With that said, I don't see abortion going away under any court soon.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
Just now, TGHusker said:

While I am pro-life, I'd be surprised if the court did a full reversal of Roe.  I think Roe was a bad case, a bad ruling,  a bad precedent.  With that said, I don't see abortion going away under any court soon.

I don't either.

And, I'm not a single issue voter that is going to make my entire decision on my feelings for a justice based on one issue.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

And, I'm not a single issue voter that is going to make my entire decision on my feelings for a justice based on one issue.

Agree 100%.   Every justice will disappoint in some way and I think most justices will have rulings we can either support or at least appreciate their reasoning behind their vote on an issue.  There are times I'm 100% supportive of the liberal wing and there have been cases I've agreed with the Conservative wing 100%.  It will always be a mixed bag.    Someone rightly said the court is more 3-3-3 currently.  3 always conservative -  3 moderate right - 3 liberal

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Agree 100%.   Every justice will disappoint in some way and I think most justices will have rulings we can either support or at least appreciate their reasoning behind their vote on an issue.  There are times I'm 100% supportive of the liberal wing and there have been cases I've agreed with the Conservative wing 100%.  It will always be a mixed bag.    Someone rightly said the court is more 3-3-3 currently.  3 always conservative -  3 moderate right - 3 liberal

If that's the case....perfect!!!  Although, I would rather have the middle just say "moderate"

• Plus1 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...