NU Ranked 32 In Brad Powers’ Pre-Season Power Ratings; 2nd Toughest SOS & Projected Spreads Released

9 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

http://nebula.wsimg.com/8d924ec934fe905b4bfe7db012a9a344?AccessKeyId=F4E5462B12CB60B63AD2&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Projected 6.15 wins

Projected spread for each game on the schedule (all lines represent from NU POV):

@ Illinois -13

Buffalo -12

@ Oklahoma +21

@ Michigan State -6

Northwestern -7

Michigan PK

@ Minnesota +4

Purdue -4

Ohio State +14

SELA -28

@ Wisconsin +13

Iowa +7

I think if we are 5-1 or 4-2 going into Minnesota, we win that game.

And, if we have 7 wins after OSU, I predict we beat either Wisconsin or Iowa.

A lot depends on how we start the year in those first 5 games.

• Plus1 2

Based on our recent history, those lines are plenty generous to NU.  Maybe on paper and as a total spring dart throw they are okay.  But to arrive at those spreads a person has to be allowing for a bunch of improvement from this program. Not saying we won't improve, just pointing out that is obviously built in to this.

• Plus1 4
14 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Based on our recent history, those lines are plenty generous to NU.  Maybe on paper and as a total spring dart throw they are okay.  But to arrive at those spreads a person has to be allowing for a bunch of improvement from this program. Not saying we won't improve, just pointing out that is obviously built in to this.

Well, for anything like this, they have to project if all the teams are going to be better or worse than last year.  Otherwise, you just look at how we did against these teams last year and predict the same thing.

I know it's tough as a fan after the last few years.  But, I'm guessing most people doing projections are going to expect us to be at least somewhat improved from last year.

• Plus1 1

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Well, for anything like this, they have to project if all the teams are going to be better or worse than last year.  Otherwise, you just look at how we did against these teams last year and predict the same thing.

I know it's tough as a fan after the last few years.  But, I'm guessing most people doing projections are going to expect us to be at least somewhat improved from last year.

I agree but also, after actually looking at the link, this all appears to be generated strictly from his power rankings and SOS. It doesn't appear to have any analysis or human factoring other than what went into determining the power rankings, SOS, returning production, etc.

I guess that is fine for what it is.  I'm just firmly in the camp of this team has to show me something in actual real games before I'll believe anything positive. I hate being there but that's where I am.

59 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I think if we are 5-1 or 4-2 going into Minnesota, we win that game.

And, if we have 7 wins after OSU, I predict we beat either Wisconsin or Iowa.

A lot depends on how we start the year in those first 5 games.

I honestly think the season depends on the Illinois game.  Win that and momentum could build as you say,  but lose it, followed by a tough Buffalo game and then get demoralized by OU and it could unravel the other way with a mentally fragile/mistake prone team still.  Fragile and mistake prone is still what we are until proven otherwise.

This is the sixth year in a row we play Ohio State in a cross-over game.  But in those six yearssince 2016we've only played Rutgers/Indiana/Maryland a total of five times for all three teams.  What's up with that?  Shouldn't our cross-over games include all the teams an equal number of times?  

It seems like every year we play tOSU and either Michigan or Penn State.  But we don't seem to catch the East Division cellar dwellers very often.  The B1G schedulers are certainly not doing us any favors.

• Plus1 4

30 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Taking a look at Iowa and Wisconsin's schedules and they significantly easier than ours. One decent non con each (Iowa State/Iowa and ND/Wisconsin) but it isn't OU and neither get Ohio State.

Happy for them. Glad they can catch a break. 

• Haha 3
30 minutes ago, NUance said:

This is the sixth year in a row we play Ohio State in a cross-over game.  But in those six yearssince 2016we've only played Rutgers/Indiana/Maryland a total of five times for all three teams.  What's up with that?  Shouldn't our cross-over games include all the teams an equal number of times?  

It seems like every year we play tOSU and either Michigan or Penn State.  But we don't seem to catch the East Division cellar dwellers very often.  The B1G schedulers are certainly not doing us any favors.

Supposedly when they redid the divisions they "drew names out of a hat" for who one protected crossover would be.  Nebraska drew Ohio State so they are on our schedule for six years.  They'll shift off after this year but I think we get Michigan for the next six, iirc.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Supposedly when they redid the divisions they "drew names out of a hat" for who one protected crossover would be.  Nebraska drew Ohio State so they are on our schedule for six years.  They'll shift off after this year but I think we get Michigan for the next six, iirc.

We do get Michigan yep. So that random hat draw is one dude, alone, who announced the final results after the fact once the hat and contents were burned.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, Mavric said:

tenor.gif

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2

I'm not buying only 1 point difference in the projected spread between OSU & Wis. While Wis. generally the best of the west and takes care of DONU every year they aren't in the same conversation as OSU who generally has top #5 recruiting classes and is in contention for a national championship.

• Plus1 1