NU Ranked 32 In Brad Powers’ Pre-Season Power Ratings; 2nd Toughest SOS & Projected Spreads Released

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Supposedly when they redid the divisions they "drew names out of a hat" for who one protected crossover would be.  Nebraska drew Ohio State so they are on our schedule for six years.  They'll shift off after this year but I think we get Michigan for the next six, iirc.

Yep. Wisconsin had Michigan these last few years as it's crossover but we'll have Michigan for the next 6 years and they'll have OSU.

If our defense is good due to the returning players and our offense can improve throughout the season,  then I can see us winning the six games we are favored in. Potentially seven looking at Minn. 

Or, we STB and go 4-8 with a 4 year total of 16-28 for HCSF. 

Either are equally possible.

• Plus1 1
6 hours ago, Mavric said:

He's the guy who wrote the article linked in the OP.

Glad I could help.

So hold up. This Brad Powers is not the secret identity of superhero BrOad Powers, the caped crusader who defends Gotham by night using their powers... broadly?

I guess it should be obvious. No one's ever seen Brad Powers and Broad Powers in the same room at the same time.

Nah. Can't be the same person.

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

http://nebula.wsimg.com/8d924ec934fe905b4bfe7db012a9a344?AccessKeyId=F4E5462B12CB60B63AD2&disposition=0&alloworigin=1

Projected 6.15 wins

Projected spread for each game on the schedule (all lines represent from NU POV):

@ Illinois -13

Buffalo -12

@ Oklahoma +21

@ Michigan State -6

Northwestern -7

Michigan PK

@ Minnesota +4

Purdue -4

Ohio State +14

SELA -28

@ Wisconsin +13

Iowa +7

Illinois - Revenge game, we win but surprisingly close.  Bret Beliema Era begins

Buffalo - Toss up.  Although they have shown to be a winning program over the past 20+ games.  We should win the game, but they might beat us by 10.

Oklahoma - close at first possibly, then disaster and reality hits.  We lose by a lot.

Michigan State - Toss up - Road game - MSU plays ugly.  Their defense is good.  Their offense not so much.  Could sneak a W here.  Got to earn it.

Northwestern - Toss up as always.  Could go either way.  It is what it is.

Michigan - No contest if they are ranked top 15 at this point.  If they are not ranked, then we will have a legit chance to win this game.  So it depends on them and how they are playing, more than us.  I like us in this game.

Minnesota - The seasonal series flip flops a lot when we think we know who ought to win.  We might steal a victory here, after beating Michigan.  Or we might get punched after beating Michigan.  You know what I'm saying?  It will be an important game for bowl considerations.  They've won the last 2 meetings.  So, I see it as another toss up B1G conference game.  Road wins aren't easy.

Purdue - We should win.  Need to win.  Although they have won when we think we should dominate.  And they've made games close when we win.

Ohio State - They are the best team in the conference. 

Southeastern Lousiana - They didn't play last year.  They are FCS.  We should win by 10 points....or more.

Wisconsin - This game could be close, it could be an upset win, or it could be another loss.  I think the Huskers don't fear the Badgers, so it should be a good game.

Iowa - They won 6 in a row against us, so until we beat them.......But we are due a win in this series at some point.

Bottom line is this.  It's a tough schedule.  I like tough schedules.  And every team is getting better during the spring, summer and fall.  It's not something that is just "us".  

I see 5 wins.  Potentially 7.

If we get 7 wins or more, then that will be proof of things looking up for real.

• Plus1 2
On 4/9/2021 at 2:38 PM, Toe said:

Interesting that Michigan is a pick (equal).

Shouldn't be a surprise. They have not been good under Harbaugh. When we first played them with Frost they weren't any more athletic than us, we were just a weak team mentally and fundamentally.

• Haha 3

I would break this season into 3 categories:

Can't Lose: Buff & Sela

No Lose: OU & OSU

Must Win 4: Ill, MSU, UM, NW, Minn, Purdue, Wiscy, Iowa

I'm not implying .500 is success, but anything below that is def failure, & NU probably needs 6+ W's w/at least 1 W vs. the Wisky/Iowa combo to put a positive spin on the season.  

• Fire 1
2 hours ago, floridacorn said:

I would break this season into 3 categories:

Can't Lose: Buff & Sela

No Lose: OU & OSU

Must Win 4: Ill, MSU, UM, NW, Minn, Purdue, Wiscy, Iowa

I'm not implying .500 is success, but anything below that is def failure, & NU probably needs 6+ W's w/at least 1 W vs. the Wisky/Iowa combo to put a positive spin on the season.  

Ill, Purdue msu qualify for can’t lose for me. If they stumble against one of these 3 it’s a major disappointment in year 4, imho.

for .500 and an ok season we only need 1 of UM, NW, Iowa, minn and wiscy.

we need 2 for a needed rebound and 7-5 would be nice given how tough the schedule is.

I think we’re winning 3 of those

56 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

Ill, Purdue msu qualify for can’t lose for me. If they stumble against one of these 3 it’s a major disappointment in year 4, imho.

for .500 and an ok season we only need 1 of UM, NW, Iowa, minn and wiscy.

we need 2 for a needed rebound and 7-5 would be nice given how tough the schedule is.

I think we’re winning 3 of those

So you're saying:

Can't lose: Ill, Buffalo, MSU, Purdue, SELA (5-0)

Can't win: OU and OSU (0-2)

In between: Mich, NW, Minny, Wisconsin, Iowa (3-2)

You see 8-4? That's some confidence my friend.

Personally I don't see any way this team makes it 5-0 in that first category unless a switch has completely flipped this offseason.  I think 4-1 is a reasonable goal there.  That last 5 I think a reasonable goal is 2-3 but my gut says 1-4.  So my prediction then becomes 5-7 with this schedule and the 2 other all but guaranteed losses, as 6-8 wins would require a significant improvement over last year and I am not overly confident that will happen.  The renewed commitment to special teams has me cautiously optimistic however but no kool aid drinking for me.

1 hour ago, runningblind said:

So you're saying:

Can't lose: Ill, Buffalo, MSU, Purdue, SELA (5-0)

Can't win: OU and OSU (0-2)

In between: Mich, NW, Minny, Wisconsin, Iowa (3-2)

You see 8-4? That's some confidence my friend.

Personally I don't see any way this team makes it 5-0 in that first category unless a switch has completely flipped this offseason.  I think 4-1 is a reasonable goal there.  That last 5 I think a reasonable goal is 2-3 but my gut says 1-4.  So my prediction then becomes 5-7 with this schedule and the 2 other all but guaranteed losses, as 6-8 wins would require a significant improvement over last year and I am not overly confident that will happen.  The renewed commitment to special teams has me cautiously optimistic however but no kool aid drinking for me.

I mean 7-5 is what I’d put money on more so than 8-4. Well prolly have the typical wtf game against one of those Purdue, Michigan state or Illinois.  But hey there’s enough f’n negativity on this board and life in general to bring a glass half full perspective. 

I’m optimistic against northwestern and minny. We shoulda beaten northwestern this year and were due to not embarrass ourselves against minny for once.

I think we are winning one of the Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan... that’s how we arrive at 8-4...

While a lot needs to go into it, it’s possible if:

1. our defense is a top 3 defense in the conference (possible)

2. Our special teams and field position game isn’t embarrassing 

3. offense has more consistency and red zone success 

10 minutes ago, gossamorharpy said:

I mean 7-5 is what I’d put money on more so than 8-4. Well prolly have the typical wtf game against one of those Purdue, Michigan state or Illinois.  But hey there’s enough f’n negativity on this board and life in general to bring a glass half full perspective. 

I’m optimistic against northwestern and minny. We shoulda beaten northwestern this year and were due to not embarrass ourselves against minny for once.

I think we are winning one of the Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan... that’s how we arrive at 8-4...

While a lot needs to go into it, it’s possible if:

1. our defense is a top 3 defense in the conference (possible)

2. Our special teams and field position game isn’t embarrassing 

3. offense has more consistency and red zone success 

I expect the defense to be good, but the difference between good and great is an effective pass rush without having to manufacture pressure.  I still think we are sorely lacking in that department.  Man, I hope special teams takes a jump, the staff is finally saying the right things in that department for this conference.  For #3, that will require a consistent run game to have red zone success and I hope we can find a RB and the young line gels. Stepp is a question mark with injuries and the young crew is largely unknown, great opportunity for someone to step up and seize the job there.

I agree it's possible but seems more bounces need to go our way than not to get there and the bounces normally don't.  We can hope though you're right, might as well since being right ahead of time about a losing season is a terrible prize that no fan should want.

• Plus1 1