War Drums

13 minutes ago, NUance said:

Why did we maintain U.S. military bases in Europe and Japan after WWII ended?  Why do we have them there today?  

Is Afghanistan less strategically important?  

Russia and China is the answer to the first part.

Afghanistan was critically important to old world trade routes and campaign movements. Today not so much (it's probably more akin to a flyover state). It's just a hot bed of cultural issues that boil over into political ones due to it's location and history.

1 hour ago, Redux said:

This is a blatant excuse and a fallacy.  Again, all deaths between May 1st and September 11th now rest on team Biden.

You know this how? Did you hear anything about the Trump administration's plans, organization, timelines, suport personnel, troop movements, etc. that would indicate they did anything related to pulling out troops?

6 minutes ago, ZRod said:

You know this how? Did you hear anything about the Trump administration's plans, organization, timelines, suport personnel, troop movements, etc. that would indicate they did anything related to pulling out troops?

There was a date, May 1st as mentioned several times.  Having a CNN article praising the move doesn't make it more concrete.  You could just admit that it's ridiculous to extend the withdrawal date,  nobody will think less of you.

• Plus1 1
13 minutes ago, Redux said:

There was a date, May 1st as mentioned several times.  Having a CNN article praising the move doesn't make it more concrete.  You could just admit that it's ridiculous to extend the withdrawal date,  nobody will think less of you.

I don't like that it was extended, but failure to acknowledge the nuances involved seems dumb, and not very sincere.

• Plus1 3
17 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I don't like that it was extended, but failure to acknowledge the nuances involved seems dumb, and not very sincere.

No, what seems dumb is making excuses for extending the date while ignoring there was one to begin with.

• Plus1 1

30 minutes ago, knapplc said:

What is America's mission in Afghanistan? 

To swing the Red White and Blue metaphorical weiner around.  There is no mission, nor was there ever.  Avenging 9/11 was a pipe dream.  Remaining there for 20yrs is irresponsible considering NOTHING HAS CHANGED.

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, Redux said:

To swing the Red White and Blue metaphorical weiner around.  There is no mission, nor was there ever.  Avenging 9/11 was a pipe dream.  Remaining there for 20yrs is irresponsible considering NOTHING HAS CHANGED.

We disrupted AQ in Afghanistan and killed Bin Laden. That was the mission. It's been done for sometime, but scope creep took over.

3 hours ago, ZRod said:

We disrupted AQ in Afghanistan and killed Bin Laden. That was the mission. It's been done for sometime, but scope creep took over.

So in other words we completed our mission almost immediately then decided to loiter for no good reason.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, knapplc said:

What is America's mission in Afghanistan? 

I don't know - secure safe passage of heroin :dunno     Actually it is to support the Military Industrial Complex, Use it as a test site for new weapons and generally give

the DOD reason to keep their budget intact. 

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47ewzkbbyhgiehowqh04

2 hours ago, Redux said:

So in other words we completed our mission almost immediately then decided to loiter for no good reason.

Well, no. Bin Laden was killed in 2011, 10 years later.

We didn't decide to loiter for no good reason. Like I said before scope creep took over. We felt we needed to nation build and give the Afghan people a promising future, under the guise that it would secure our future safety. Turns out it takes a lot more than we are willing to throw at it to achieve that.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Well, no. Bin Laden was killed in 2011, 10 years later.

We didn't decide to loiter for no good reason. Like I said before scope creep took over. We felt we needed to nation build and give the Afghan people a promising future, under the guise that it would secure our future safety. Turns out it takes a lot more than we are willing to throw at it to achieve that.

So they say.....:moreinteresting

So we stayed past the mission, let some other bad guys take control and now we're just like "welp we gave it a shot".  Give me a break.

20yrs, nothing.  Complete and utter waste of lives and resources.  Get them home yesterday.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Redux said:

So they say.....:moreinteresting

So we stayed past the mission, let some other bad guys take control and now we're just like "welp we gave it a shot".  Give me a break.

20yrs, nothing.  Complete and utter waste of lives and resources.  Get them home yesterday.

Uh, yeah... That's literally what happened.

• Plus1 1