War Drums

38 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Just read the article. It's good and quite in depth.

I did read it.  Typical CNN gaga that paints this as some crowning achievement, like this was all Biden's idea and he is some sort of Ghandi for putting this plan into place.

Meanwhile, there was already a plan in place to withdraw May 1st.  But that doesn't matter because it had loopholes or some other excuse.

20 years, nothing to show.  Bring them home, stop delaying it.  If he follows through he can have my praise.  (Even though I doubt he would have done this if there weren't already a motion to do it by previous administration)

• Plus1 1
29 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

And I hope the Afgan govt can maintain the country.   This picture comes to mind

Saigon-hubert-van-es.jpg

They can't and they won't.  That will be the excuse: "Well we just couldn't have foreseen them not being able to maintain!  We must remain, for their sake!  It's our duty to see this through!  Our brave men and women blah blah blah blah"

Hope I'm wrong.  September is a long ways a way.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Redux said:

I did read it.  Typical CNN gaga that paints this as some crowning achievement, like this was all Biden's idea and he is some sort of Ghandi for putting this plan into place.

Meanwhile, there was already a plan in place to withdraw May 1st.  But that doesn't matter because it had loopholes or some other excuse.

20 years, nothing to show.  Bring them home, stop delaying it.  If he follows through he can have my praise.  (Even though I doubt he would have done this if there weren't already a motion to do it by previous administration)

Who's decision was it? Clearly the Trump plan was predicated on things that didn't happen.

6 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Who's decision was it? Clearly the Trump plan was predicated on things that didn't happen.

Clearly his plan is irrelevant once he leaves office, it was Biden's job to see it through at that point.  Extending the removal date isn't necessary for any reason other than allowing time to find a reason not to do it.  Again, hope I'm wrong.

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, Redux said:

Clearly his plan is irrelevant once he leaves office, it was Biden's job to see it through at that point.  Extending the removal date isn't necessary for any reason other than allowing time to find a reason not to do it.  Again, hope I'm wrong.

trump had 4 years to get it done.  it didn't happen

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Redux said:

It is of the original plan wasn't possible in the first place...

• Plus1 1
56 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Hmmm....I thought of the same picture.  

unfortunately for Afghanistan, we need out just like when we needed out of Vietnam.  

I agree.  Time to stop the needless entanglements.  We cannot be endless wars, endless police action by us, the USA thinking we are the arbitrator of every issue in the world.

Yes, this might have been the case after WW 2 but we are much closer to the 100 year anniversary of WW 2 (hard to believe) than we are to its ending. The world has changed and the USA needs to swallow some of its pride - a dose of humility is good - which means we learn to cooperate and work out issues with countries, recognize our differences. There are times we and other nations have to step in to fight true evil but if so then get in and get out and let the native people determine their own destiny.  :boxosoap

15 hours ago, Redux said:

They can't and they won't.  That will be the excuse: "Well we just couldn't have foreseen them not being able to maintain!  We must remain, for their sake!  It's our duty to see this through!  Our brave men and women blah blah blah blah"

Hope I'm wrong.  September is a long ways a way.

Yes, almost 20 years of Afgan involvement and the country is proving to be as unmanageable as any I've remember in my history studies.  They are a nation of tribes with 1000s of years of culture that is hard to change. 

14 hours ago, commando said:

trump had 4 years to get it done.  it didn't happen

Correct, he used it as political fodder.  He could have done it well before 2020 and didn't.

Also completely irrelevant to Biden extending the timeline.

14 hours ago, ZRod said:

It is of the original plan wasn't possible in the first place...

This is a blatant excuse and a fallacy.  Again, all deaths between May 1st and September 11th now rest on team Biden.

• Plus1 1
22 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Yes, almost 20 years of Afgan involvement and the country is proving to be as unmanageable as any I've remember in my history studies.  They are a nation of tribes with 1000s of years of culture that is hard to change. 

If Alexander the Great couldn't tame Afghanistan, no general alive today is going to get it done. 

• Plus1 1