War Drums

3 hours ago, Redux said:

So justify waiting until September 

No.

Tangent: I don't think the lives and resources were a waste. I think it was our obligation to try to piece the nation back together again after we tore it apart. It's just impossible to help people who don't want it because they are used to millennia of conflict.

10 hours ago, ZRod said:

No.

Tangent: I don't think the lives and resources were a waste. I think it was our obligation to try to piece the nation back together again after we tore it apart. It's just impossible to help people who don't want it because they are used to millennia of conflict.

That's not breaking news, that's been known all along.  So again, complete waste of lives and resources.  If you can't give me a good reason why waiting until September is necessary then there is no reason to wait that long.

• Plus1 1

12 hours ago, knapplc said:

It's a quote.

Yes, and in this instance it still doesn't justify waiting.  At all.

I was scrolling TikTok earlier because I'm a vibrant young man and totally hip and cool, when one of those military surprise homecoming vids popped up.  Someone started cutting onions near-by or something.  But it's that reunion that makes me frustrated thinking that we sre waiting even longer than necessary to make these moments happen.  5 months is a lifetime in this scenario and if something happens to prevent it, I'm going to be extremely disappointed.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Redux said:

That's not breaking news, that's been known all along.  So again, complete waste of lives and resources.  If you can't give me a good reason why waiting until September is necessary then there is no reason to wait thst long.

I'm not privy to the same information as the white house, but there's a lot involved with the logistics: Coordination with NATO allies (who must also leave), coordination with the Afghan government. Destroying remaining bases and equipment securely. Are there SEALs and Green Berets depolyed in FOBs that need to get out? Weather is a big issue in the mountains. Are we trying to wrap up initiatives with Afghan politicians or training with the Afghan army? Are we finalizing security for the diplomats and security forces that will remain? I don't know. I'm sure the question will be asked in the coming weeks and months.

All I can say is that I trust Biden to do the right thing. He's the only President since I've been alive who had a child serve in some capacity in a combat theater.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, ZRod said:

I'm not privy to the same information as the white house, but there's a lot involved with the logistics: Coordination with NATO allies (who must also leave), coordination with the Afghan government. Destroying remaining bases and equipment securely. Are their SEALs and Green Berets depolyed in FOBs that need to get out? Weather is a big issue in the mountains. Are we trying to wrap up initiatives with Afghan politicians or training with the Afghan army? Are we finalizing security for the diplomats and security forces that will remain? I don't know. I'm sure the question will be asked in the coming weeks and months.

All I can say is that I trust Biden to do the right thing. He's the only President since I've been alive who had a child serve in some capacity in a combat theater.

Exactly.  There is one hell of a lot that goes into all of this. There's a good chance that the previous administration failed to do a lot of this to prepare for the May 1st deadline.

8 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Exactly.  There is one hell of a lot that goes into all of this. There's a good chance that the previous administration failed to do a lot of this to prepare for the May 1st deadline.

I mean, yeah it's less than 3k troops for us (NATO is like 6k I think), but it's gotta be done in an orderly fashion to keep everyone safe and Intel secure. Plus, I think most of the troops there are Special Forces guys so there could be many Outposts across the country since they're the force multiplier type that function fairly autonomously.

• Plus1 2
On 4/15/2021 at 9:18 PM, ZRod said:

No.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/with-a-sense-of-betrayal-and-relief-afghans-eye-a-future-without-us-troops/ar-BB1fJy6p?ocid=uxbndlbing

after reading this article, it seems to me that our 20 years have not accomplished many of the things we and the Afgan people had hoped for. The threat of returning to Taliban rule is dashing the hope of many 

• Plus1 1