Top 5 Underrated Huskers for 2021

Excludes true freshmen

5. Marquis Black - I'm not sure how much he will see in the rotation this year, but the kid is going to be tough to move on the defensive line when he gets called upon. Overall, the future of the defensive line is sitting in a very good place with Nash, Black, Buckley, Robinson, and Rogers. 

4. Javin Wright - He was going to see PT last year before going down with an injury. Has looked solid in practice thus far in the spring. Has great length and moves well for his size. He has also added some weight so he is for sure a hybrid that could play Safety, Nickel or OLB. 

3. Oliver Martin - I think Martin has the potential to lead the team in receptions this year. Decent size to go with athleticism that only a few others on the team can match. Nebraska is his third stop during his college career - I think with a full year here now he is ready to break through. 

2. Chris Kolaveric - I was able to see two of his games when he was at UNI and the kid can really play. He lacks a little height and length but reminds me a lot of Luke Reimer. The biggest strength I saw was his ability to cover ground sideline to sideline. It's going to be tough to keep him off the field. 

1. Pheldarius Payne - The former Juco showed flashes last year against Penn St and Rutgers. He has a high motor and can get behind the LOS to makes some key stops and apply some pressure on the QB. Him and Nelson show similar attributes and both will be solid to go along with JoJo and Tannor. 

• Plus1 5

1 hour ago, BIG ERN said:

Excludes true freshmen

5. Marquis Black - I'm not sure how much he will see in the rotation this year, but the kid is going to be tough to move on the defensive line when he gets called upon. Overall, the future of the defensive line is sitting in a very good place with Nash, Black, Buckley, Robinson, and Rogers. 

4. Javin Wright - He was going to see PT last year before going down with an injury. Has looked solid in practice thus far in the spring. Has great length and moves well for his size. He has also added some weight so he is for sure a hybrid that could play Safety, Nickel or OLB. 

3. Oliver Martin - I think Martin has the potential to lead the team in receptions this year. Decent size to go with athleticism that only a few others on the team can match. Nebraska is his third stop during his college career - I think with a full year here now he is ready to break through. 

2. Chris Kolaveric - I was able to see two of his games when he was at UNI and the kid can really play. He lacks a little height and length but reminds me a lot of Luke Reimer. The biggest strength I saw was his ability to cover ground sideline to sideline. It's going to be tough to keep him off the field. 

1. Pheldarius Payne - The former Juco showed flashes last year against Penn St and Rutgers. He has a high motor and can get behind the LOS to makes some key stops and apply some pressure on the QB. Him and Nelson show similar attributes and both will be solid to go along with JoJo and Tannor. 

I'd agree with 1-4 but I don't see Black making an impact this year or even next year. I'd slot in Alante Brown or Will Nixon in the 5th spot. 

• Plus1 2

Three of the five came to NU in non-traditional manners—that is, not as graduating high school seniors signing with us.  Martin (grad transfer), Kolavevic (grad transfer) and Payne (juco).  

So we’re really making hay with the grad transfers and jucos.  I guess that good, huh?  

• Plus1 1

We have depth in the secondary, but I think Farmer and Pola-Gates shine. I think through rotation/packages and the inevitable suspension of Dismuke and Evans:D  Marvin Scott on O.  Surely it's time for a RB to take the reins and run this thing. 

Unsure if Farmer or Pola-Gates are actually underrated or simply haven't gotten a lot of snaps yet.

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why?

Im wondering the same thing. Payne wasn't all that talked about going into last year about making a huge impact and really hasn't been talked about this spring either. He obviously isn't as high profile of a player as Jojo or even Honas yet and isn't talked about nearly as much as them. I could definitely see him making an impact in the rotation or even on special teams this season.

22 hours ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

I'm glad Payne could show flashes against two of the worst teams they played.

Not the worst just because we beat them.  Penn State and Rutgers were both pretty solid teams last year.  Around the middle of the B10.  (Which is surprising for Rutgers.)

48 minutes ago, lo country said:

Any chance that Damian Jackson emerges this year? Perhaps not as an every down player, but as a pass rusher, short yardage stopper.  He tested off the charts IIRC.  Seems like the staff could find a way to just let him be a wrecking ball. 

I have the feeling that Jackson is one of those guys that is an extremely hard worker, great work ethic and team mentality and very strong.  But, there are better football players.

• Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I have the feeling that Jackson is one of those guys that is an extremely hard worker, great work ethic and team mentality and very strong.  But, there are better football players.

Yeah, I was actually surprised at how well he tested. That gives me a little hope he could contribute (and he did play some last year), I had figured he was super strong but probably not a really great athlete. Turns out he is a really good athlete but not really playing football until you're 25 or whatever is a serious disadvantage. At these point I could see him taking a leap into a solid player like a Ross Dzuris - but even if he doesn't, he's made a big impact on the team as a whole.