Nebraska Legislature Thread

These guys are like posters...but they are just doing it in real life!  

Report to mod:  This poster said my school sucks

Report to mod:  So, that poster changed their avatar to the school colors!

Mod:  Can you please change your avatar back

Poster:  What?  Ohhhhh, I didn't even notice that I changed it, sorry!

• Haha 1
  • 4 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

Gonna be "One Of Those Days" at the Unicameral today. 

I've seen the ad that Ricketts has put out from the parents who lost a child from Marijuana Psychosis. It's heart breaking to know that they lost a child for any reason. The flip side is how many parents struggle every day with a child who could be helped by the medial components to medicinal marijuana. Does the anecdotal story out weigh the empirical evidence showing the overall good?

• Plus1 2

• 3 months later...
27 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes please.  This would be awesome between Omaha and Denver.

I could see this being okay if you are going downtown Omaha to downtown Lincoln, or vice versa.  But would people really use it if they had to also organize other transportation once they got to the destination city?

I have no way to know, but I'm assuming most of the I80 commuters between Lincoln and Omaha would find it less of a hassle to just be in their own cars and not have to worry about bus schedules and/or paying for Ubers.

• Plus1 1
21 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I could see this being okay if you are going downtown Omaha to downtown Lincoln, or vice versa.  But would people really use it if they had to also organize other transportation once they got to the destination city?

I have no way to know, but I'm assuming most of the I80 commuters between Lincoln and Omaha would find it less of a hassle to just be in their own cars and not have to worry about bus schedules and/or paying for Ubers.

I would use it getting to Lincoln then just Uber if I need out of down town. 

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

If it dropped off by Memorial Stadium, it would be great for gameday. Could also be great for UNL students who want to live in Omaha instead of Lincoln. Otherwise, going to need to Uber or bus, so not sure of the uptake there.

Someday when autonomous cars are common place, this might make sense for the average commuter.

17 hours ago, RedDenver said:

If it dropped off by Memorial Stadium, it would be great for gameday. Could also be great for UNL students who want to live in Omaha instead of Lincoln. Otherwise, going to need to Uber or bus, so not sure of the uptake there.

Someday when autonomous cars are common place, this might make sense for the average commuter.

Trains work in other countries.  No reason why they can't work here.  The biggest issue is getting Americans to not be so tied to their car.

I would friggen LOVE to have a train that picks me up in central Nebraska and I get off in Lincoln.  I can then return that evening.  No need to worry about parking or being too tired to drive home...etc.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Imagine being in Denver in two hours instead of driving 4.5.  Train station could be right at the airport.  They already have a train from the airport into the city.

Denver has Union Station downtown already. It was a massive remodel a few years back and now is both the Amtrak station and the major hub for the lightrail. My mom has taken the train between Denver and Omaha a couple times, but it takes ~12 hours, can have major delays (20 hours late once), and costs as much as flying. A high-speed rail would at least be competitive with flying for travel time unless there are a ton of stops between Denver and Omaha like Amtrak has.

16 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Denver has Union Station downtown already. It was a massive remodel a few years back and now is both the Amtrak station and the major hub for the lightrail. My mom has taken the train between Denver and Omaha a couple times, but it takes ~12 hours, can have major delays (20 hours late once), and costs as much as flying. A high-speed rail would at least be competitive with flying for travel time unless there are a ton of stops between Denver and Omaha like Amtrak has.

12 hours?  Seriously?  There are only 5 stops between Denver and Omaha.  The train I was on in Germany, I calculated that we were going about 160 mph at times.

Dusseldorf to Munich took 5 hours, with lots of stops.  That's 391 miles.  

Wow...I just looked.  On their website it says it takes 8 hrs 49 mins. It only takes 7 hours to drive it.  Train transportation in the US is horrible.  If I wanted to use the train to to Lincoln, my only option is getting on at 1:00am and it taking the same amount of time as if I were driving.

• Plus1 2