Nebraska Legislature Thread

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, teachers on the board.  Is this a good thing or bad thing?

@teachercd @funhusker

I don't really think it will effect much, honestly.  It wasn't a hard test.

I'm more concerned with colleges not doing more stringent assessments of the teachers and student teacher experiences.  We had a student teacher break down two years ago.  She was not ready and her cooperating teacher let UNL know.  That student teacher found a job somehow...

But at the same time, I shouldn't be too judgy.  The low bar didn't hurt me!

• TBH 1

I forgot they even did that test!

The test is probably pointless assuming you believe that the person has passed their classes in college.

Student teaching is all that matters, sadly it comes last (unlike me) which ruins things.  If you think you want to teach, you need to be in the classroom ASAP, even if that means just being in a 1st grade classroom even though you want to teach HS.

38 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I don't really think it will effect much, honestly.  It wasn't a hard test.

I'm more concerned with colleges not doing more stringent assessments of the teachers and student teacher experiences.  We had a student teacher break down two years ago.  She was not ready and her cooperating teacher let UNL know.  That student teacher found a job somehow...

But at the same time, I shouldn't be too judgy.  The low bar didn't hurt me!

Ha! Shoot, I get hired even after they see my transcripts...and those things are filled with D's!

• Plus1 1

22 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I forgot they even did that test!

The test is probably pointless assuming you believe that the person has passed their classes in college.

Student teaching is all that matters, sadly it comes last (unlike me) which ruins things.  If you think you want to teach, you need to be in the classroom ASAP, even if that means just being in a 1st grade classroom even though you want to teach HS.

Ha! Shoot, I get hired even after they see my transcripts...and those things are filled with D's!

Yeah...I know someone who went all through college, got one month into student teaching and quit.

She finally went back after a year and finished it and is now a teacher.  But, it was quite the shock the first time she was in a classroom.

Funny thing is, I think she then went out and got a different job and realized that sucked worse than teaching.  She didn't get 4 months off for the summer. :laughpound

• Haha 1
  • 2 weeks later...

1 minute ago, knapplc said:

In the context of "my body, my choice" this is a good decision. It's just inconsistent with their abortion stance. 

Yeah....I really don't care.  If bikers want to ride without helmets, fine.  The only part I don't like is if they get in an accident, and because they didn't have a helmet on they end up in a condition where we end up paying for their care the rest of their lives.  But, that's fairly rare.  Typically, they are just dead.

• 2 weeks later...

So, my father is elderly and lives in an assisted living facility and I have to use a wheelchair to get him around.  It's very difficult to even get him in and out of the car.  I guess now, I have to get him to the court house so he can get a government photo ID before next May.  :facepalm:

If I wasn't here to do this, who would do it for him so that?

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2023 at 2:01 PM, BigRedBuster said:

So, my father is elderly and lives in an assisted living facility and I have to use a wheelchair to get him around.  It's very difficult to even get him in and out of the car.  I guess now, I have to get him to the court house so he can get a government photo ID before next May.  :facepalm:

If I wasn't here to do this, who would do it for him so that?

From your article….

People unable to get a photo ID due to a disability, illness, lack of birth certificate, or religious reasons can complete a Reasonable Impediment Certification. Those can be completed at a polling place, county election office, or on the Secretary of State’s website.

• Fire 1