Major Rule Changes Coming to NCAA Basketball?

Among the most intriguing is a six-foul rule, one more than the current limit of five, with four provisions creating an eyebrow-raising possible rule change. Among the modifications, a player with more than three fouls in one half — first or second — would be disqualified.

Essentially, no more than three fouls can be committed in either half and any combination getting the total to six would result in a disqualification. However, after a first half without any fouls, four in the second — more than three for a half — would lead to a disqualification.

The 12 other potential revisions include:

- A lane change widening to 16 feet.

- Resetting team fouls at the 10-minute mark of each half and beginning a double-bonus on the fifth team foul for each 10-minute segment (eliminating the 1-and-1 free throw)

- Allowing laptop- and tablet-type technology on the bench for coaching purposes.

- Awarding the defense possession when creating a held-ball situation.

- Limiting the number of timeouts to two for a team in the last two minutes of the second half or overtime.

- Allowing instant-replay review of second-half or overtime shot-clock violations when the attempt is unsuccessful.

- Eliminating the 10-second backcourt rule.

- Permitting the use of instant replay on all basket-interference or goaltending calls throughout the game but only when a call has been made by an official.

- Permitting a team to decline free throws in the last two minutes of the last period or of any overtime period and elect possession of the ball for a throw-in instead.

- Eliminating offensive basket interference after the ball hits the ring or flange.

- Changing the travel rule to allow a player two steps after he lifts his pivot foot, making the spin move, Euro-step and step-back shot legal.

- Eliminating the five-second-closely-guarded rule.

• Plus1 1

42 minutes ago, Mavric said:

Among the most intriguing is a six-foul rule, one more than the current limit of five, with four provisions creating an eyebrow-raising possible rule change. Among the modifications, a player with more than three fouls in one half — first or second — would be disqualified.

Essentially, no more than three fouls can be committed in either half and any combination getting the total to six would result in a disqualification. However, after a first half without any fouls, four in the second — more than three for a half — would lead to a disqualification.

OK, this is confusing. 

So, if a player gets 3 fouls in the first half, he's disqualified for the rest of the game.  But, if he gets 1 foul in the first half and 3 fouls in the second half, he's disqualified based on getting 3 in the second half.  So, how could a player ever get 6 fouls?

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
53 minutes ago, Mavric said:

- Changing the travel rule to allow a player two steps after he lifts his pivot foot, making the spin move, Euro-step and step-back shot legal.

This one made me laugh.  Like players have been called on this.

54 minutes ago, Mavric said:

And....why?

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

OK, this is confusing. 

So, if a player gets 3 fouls in the first half, he's disqualified for the rest of the game.  But, if he gets 1 foul in the first half and 3 fouls in the second half, he's disqualified based on getting 3 in the second half.  So, how could a player ever get 6 fouls?

"more than 3"

So you could get three fouls in each have and be disqualified with six fouls.  But if you get four fouls in the first half, you'd also be disqualified.  Or if you don't get any fouls in the first half but get four in the second you'd be out even though you might have fewer total fouls than someone else still playing.

I suppose that's the "compromise" to get to six overall but that seems like a nightmare to try to keep track of.  If they want to go to six, just go to six.

• Plus1 1

They need to just move to quarters at this point and give 3 fouls per half and 6 for the game. 

Im good with the gather step rule. Would like to see continuation as well

Would love to see an extended restricted area which I think would eliminate a lot of the BS charges. Widening the lane is good and will open things up. 

Hate the 10 second rule going away. We keep eliminating things that reward the defense for playing well

Would like to see the shot clock reset to 15 instead of 20 after an offensive board

Ultimately we’re moving towards a more NBA oriented model which is fine. Just wish they’d do it instead of dipping their toes in the water 

6 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

They need to just move to quarters at this point and give 3 fouls per half and 6 for the game. 

At this point it does seem pretty odd that every other faction plays quarters but not NCAA men.  Just go to quarters and use the NBA rules for team fouls (other than I'm not sure about the "last two minutes" deal but I can live with that).

Im good with the gather step rule. Would like to see continuation as well

I'm not a big fan of that.  It'll just turn into the NBA where eight steps isn't a travel.

Would love to see an extended restricted area which I think would eliminate a lot of the BS charges. Widening the lane is good and will open things up. 

Hate the 10 second rule going away. We keep eliminating things that reward the defense for playing well

These two comments don't exactly mesh.  The restricted area is penalizing good defense.

6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

These two comments don't exactly mesh.  The restricted area is penalizing good defense.

I’m talking about the insane charges where guys don’t even attempt to play defense and just throw their bodies into people and college refs call offensive fouls because they’re addicted to it. It happens multiple times per game

Edit- Exhibit A:

Just now, seaofred92 said:

I’m talking about the insane charges where guys don’t even attempt to play defense and just throw their bodies into people and college refs call offensive fouls because they’re addicted to it. It happens multiple times per game

Yeah, people seem to like to claim this.  I'm pretty sure it doesn't happen multiple times per game.  

I'm not sure what you mean by throwing your bodies into people.  I'd like to see some examples of what you're talking about.

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

The 12 other potential revisions include:

- A lane change widening to 16 feet.

- Resetting team fouls at the 10-minute mark of each half and beginning a double-bonus on the fifth team foul for each 10-minute segment (eliminating the 1-and-1 free throw)

- Allowing laptop- and tablet-type technology on the bench for coaching purposes.

- Awarding the defense possession when creating a held-ball situation.

- Limiting the number of timeouts to two for a team in the last two minutes of the second half or overtime.

- Allowing instant-replay review of second-half or overtime shot-clock violations when the attempt is unsuccessful.

- Permitting the use of instant replay on all basket-interference or goaltending calls throughout the game but only when a call has been made by an official.

- Permitting a team to decline free throws in the last two minutes of the last period or of any overtime period and elect possession of the ball for a throw-in instead.

- Eliminating offensive basket interference after the ball hits the ring or flange.

- Eliminating the five-second-closely-guarded rule.

1 Wider lane is a good idea.  This change should have happened years ago.

2 Just go to quarters, resetting the team fouls half way through the half is moronic.

3 Can't believe they haven't already allowed electronic technology at the bench

4 Alternating possession has always been stupid.  Go back to actual jump balls.  This is better than the alternating possession though.

5 Good idea - WAY too many timeouts at the end of games.  Should limit to two per team and three total.  If and don't add for OT.  If all the allowed TO's were called in the last two minutes of regulation, too bad.  If you have to explain every play to your team, you haven't done your job as a coach in practice.

6 Why review shot clock violations on a miss?  How often does the shot get up in time, but is called late AND the offensive team actually gets the rebound?

7 Why eliminate the 10 second rule?  This is beyond stupid.

8 So you can't go back an see that they blew the no call, but you can verify that they got it right?  They almost never get it wrong when they call it.  I'd guess 80-90% of the missed calls are when there is goaltending and it isn't called, not the other way around.

9 Definitely allow teams to refuse the FT's.  Maybe it will speed up the end of games if teams realize that fouling doesn't get them the ball back without more time coming off the clock.

10 Not sure why they'd want to use the international basket interference rule.

11 It is virtually impossible to get called for traveling now, so why change the rule.  If this is just to catch up with how the game is called I guess it's OK.  I just don't get the point a change for the sake of change

12 Might as well.  It can only be called now if the player with the ball is not dribbling so this rule has almost no teeth anymore anyway.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, ECisGod said:

9 Definitely allow teams to refuse the FT's.  Maybe it will speed up the end of games if teams realize that fouling doesn't get them the ball back without more time coming off the clock.

Maybe when our game starts now, we will actually be able to see the beginning of the game instead of watching constant time outs, fouls, free throws of the game before ours.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

@seaofred92 I guess you can semantic it however you want.  In none of those are they "throwing their body" at people.  The get to a spot and the offensive player creates the contact.  You might not like it but that is the definition of good defense - getting yourself into position such that the offensive player either has to go around you or risk an offensive foul.

#1 - the defensive player is eyeing the offensive player from before they cross the three point line.  They are preparing to play defense based on a couple scenarios that could happen.  The see the offensive player commit to driving so they get set in their position and the offensive player runs over them.  How much more ahead of time would they have to be in position for you to think they are playing good defense?

#2 - This is the absolute definition of good defense that you claim to not want to see penalized.  It is the on-ball defender playing defense.  Once they have legal guarding position they are allowed to move sideways or backwards while still being in legal guarding position.  But the offensive player just runs them over.  Why should the offense be allowed to do that?

#3 - This should probably have been a block but only because of the stupid restraining circle rule.  They got to a spot and had their position before contact.  What would you like to see - if the defense is ever out of position they offense should just be allowed to drive in for a layup because the defense can't recover?

#4 - Again, the defender has position and is completely run over by the offense.  Why should the offense be allowed to plow someone over like that?

#5 - It's pretty tough to tell from that video.  It looks to me like there is contact first.  I could see that one being a no-call because I'd like to see them stand their ground more to deserve the charge call.

#6 - This one is pretty bang-bang.  I could see it going either way.  But, again, are you wanting the defense to just give up as soon as they're out of position?  Why can they not try to recover and get back into position.  I don't think you really like seeing defense as much as you claim.