Heinrich Haarberg

24 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

He said that teams with running quarterbacks don't win their conference and then that only talented teams like Ohio State can have success with QB run offenses. Those are dumb things to say, regardless of what our scoring offense ranked.

I think you’re taking the comments too literally.  I saw it as a run first, pass second QB isn’t a formula for success unless you have top shelf talent everywhere else, like Ohio State does.    But in regards to Justin Fields, he was so effective because of his passing ability, great receivers and a good O-line. Plus he could run, which was icing on the cake.  If he couldn’t pass worth a damn, defenses would have loaded the box and minimized his running success.  Just my take anyway.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, Decoy73 said:

I think you’re taking the comments too literally.  I saw it as a run first, pass second QB isn’t a formula for success unless you have top shelf talent everywhere else, like Ohio State does.    But in regards to Justin Fields, he was so effective because of his passing ability, great receivers and a good O-line. Plus he could run, which was icing on the cake.  If he couldn’t pass worth a damn, defenses would have loaded the box and minimized his running success.  Just my take anyway.  

This is exactly what I meant.

• Plus1 1
17 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

The problem is that Nebraska tends to entice dual threat high school quarterbacks with the promise that they can keep playing QB at Nebraska when other Power 5  programs want to convert them to other positions. That particular pool of talent tends to land us kids who are better runners than they are passers (Christian McCaffrey) and in today's NCAA you really need to flip that around (great passers who can run), or go with a straight up passing QB.  

QB prospects looking for a path to the NFL don't consider Nebraska, and although we get some really entertaining playground ballers like Tommy Armstrong and the two Martinez's, they sometimes lack the discipline of the guys who know how to plant their feet, run their progressions, and kill a play rather than force a turnover. 

I think the only QB we've recruited under Frost that we promised could keep playing QB that others didn't was McCaffrey. AM was very much recruited as a QB. So, was Smothers. Haarberg's recruitment started late, but he was still looked at as a QB by the schools that recruited him. Bo did this a lot though.

• Plus1 3
17 hours ago, J-MAGIC said:

This is completely asinine. QB run is often a tool less talented teams can leverage over teams with a talent advantage, which is why every service academy runs the flexbone and K-State manages to win seven games every year, and it "won conference titles" in the past and still is now. It was also the thing our offense was best at last year. You don't want it to be your main thing because you don't want your quarterback to take that many hits, but it has been a very important part of every successful offense SF has been involved with and will be a big part of any success we have. Just admit you said something dumb and stop digging the hole deeper.

I agree with this sentiment for most of the past 15 years, but 2AM wasn’t considered a run first QB prospect, he’s was a top 150 player at the time SF and co recruited him. He was considered the exact mold of what SF wants, a legit arm talent that is also a dynamic runner, he has all of the tools and I am betting that a better o-line and WR corps on top of his own work to improve will help him to have a great season. 

• Plus1 4
1 hour ago, Decoy73 said:

Again, the service academies have some of the least talented rosters in the country and punch above their weight because they ***run the QB***. Bill Snyder basically ran the single wing and used it to turn around the fortunes of one of the worst jobs in Division I. QB run game has been one of the main strategies that less talented teams have utilized throughout football's entire history to even the playing field. You can hang your offense's hat on running the QB and still be a very good offense, and for us to be good it's probably going to be a huge part of what we do. 

Of course it would be better if we had a guy like Justin Fields who could do that AND throw the ball like an NFL player, but those guys are unicorns and come around very rarely, so just saying "We need to get a guy like that" is not really living in reality. And on the second bolded part, OSU also had the JT Barrett and Braxton Miller eras where they couldn't really throw well against equal talent and was still able to have some pretty damn good offenses that won a lot of games.

We need to find as many ways to move the ball as possible, but running the QB is a completely valid one and can be the focus of a good offense. Let's get back to talking about Haarberg.

• Plus1 2

42 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

Again, the service academies have some of the least talented rosters in the country and punch above their weight because they ***run the QB***. Bill Snyder basically ran the single wing and used it to turn around the fortunes of one of the worst jobs in Division I. QB run game has been one of the main strategies that less talented teams have utilized throughout football's entire history to even the playing field. You can hang your offense's hat on running the QB and still be a very good offense, and for us to be good it's probably going to be a huge part of what we do. 

Of course it would be better if we had a guy like Justin Fields who could do that AND throw the ball like an NFL player, but those guys are unicorns and come around very rarely, so just saying "We need to get a guy like that" is not really living in reality. And on the second bolded part, OSU also had the JT Barrett and Braxton Miller eras where they couldn't really throw well against equal talent and was still able to have some pretty damn good offenses that won a lot of games.

We need to find as many ways to move the ball as possible, but running the QB is a completely valid one and can be the focus of a good offense. Let's get back to talking about Haarberg.

Haarbeg is very intriguing to me because of his combination of size, athleticism and arm strength.  I really hope we have some blowout wins this fall so he can get some game action in.  He sure looks the part for Frost’s offense. 

• Plus1 4

As I've mentioned every now and then when this subject comes up:  if either Taylor Martinez or Joe Ganz had that 2009 Nebraska Defense behind him, we may not be talking about his shortcomings, or learning anything from the run first/past first debate. We'd be too busy celebrating. 

• Plus1 6
21 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

As I've mentioned every now and then when this subject comes up:  if either Taylor Martinez or Joe Ganz had that 2009 Nebraska Defense behind him, we may not be talking about his shortcomings, or learning anything from the run first/past first debate. We'd be too busy celebrating. 

I'd go so far as to say if we had the 4 game redshirt rule (and Beck was smart enough to utilize it well), 2009 could have been different. So many times we just needed a little spark offensively, and even if TMart could only run read option that could've been huge. 

• Plus1 2
35 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

I'd go so far as to say if we had the 4 game redshirt rule (and Beck was smart enough to utilize it well), 2009 could have been different. So many times we just needed a little spark offensively, and even if TMart could only run read option that could've been huge. 

I think 2009 was still Shawn Watson, and in fairness that offense was a work in process because neither QB was great at one thing, much less two. When Watson had a month to prepare for the Holiday Bowl, Zac Lee ran a very efficient version of the RPO and put up 33 points on Arizona, one of the best defenses in the country. 

It's almost inconceivable that a slightly better QB doesn't beat Va. Tech, Iowa State, and Texas that year. 

1 hour ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I think 2009 was still Shawn Watson, and in fairness that offense was a work in process because neither QB was great at one thing, much less two. When Watson had a month to prepare for the Holiday Bowl, Zac Lee ran a very efficient version of the RPO and put up 33 points on Arizona, one of the best defenses in the country. 

It's almost inconceivable that a slightly better QB doesn't beat Va. Tech, Iowa State, and Texas that year. 

Nebraska never played Iowa State in 2009. 

23 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Come on guys, it's bad enough they are pre-season top ten. I refuse to remember that this game happened and Niles Paul has tiny hands that can't hold onto the ball while he runs with out anyone chasing him. 

You sure that didn't happen while he was playing at Omaha North? I'm pretty sure that's what you are remembering